Wakeboarder Forum Index

 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

What do you think of Moomba boats
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
oafer3797
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Aug 2003
Posts: 18

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2005 3:20 pm    Post subject: What do you think of Moomba boats Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone knows anything about the Moomba wakeboard boats. I was also wondering if anyone has rode behind one and how nice are their wakes?

Thanks
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
absplatty
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Dec 2005
Posts: 17
City: onsted

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we've got a03 or 04 outback, just plain outback. i hear the ls and lsvs are a lot better, and mobius' are even better.
we're really trying to improve the wake, the best we've had so far is a 680 lb sac and about 9 people in the boat.
my dad decided on it because we got it used with 60 hours for pretty cheap

bottom line: it kicks the tail of our old 1990-something moomba boomerang

hope that helped, if you've got any more questions feel free to ask
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 1176

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2005 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoot me over any specific questions you might have. I am a dealer for both Moomba and Supra.

Moomba makes a great boat for $10-$15k less than the competitors. The 2006's have really improved the Moomba wake boat line, making better wakes and more wakeboarder and family friendly boats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man


Joined: 13 Jan 2003
Posts: 17617
City: Webster

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed on the Mobius LS and LSV because the low freeboard made them feel like you were sitting on the floor in a toy.

But otherwise they seemed like a good buy if you want a new boat and still have money left to buy groceries and pay your rent.

_________________
I walk 47 miles of barb wire, I got a cobra snake for a necktie, a brand new house up on the road side, and it's made out of rattlesnake hide
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak


Joined: 13 Jan 2003
Posts: 4295
City: Chicago-ish

PostPosted: Dec 29, 2005 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The all new 2006 Mobius LSV is where it's at (not to be confused with the 05/06 Outback LSV-different boat). Deep freeboard, TONS of storage, GREAT wake, and an even better price tag.

Seriously, when at your local boat show this year, check out that boat!

_________________
www.MidwestMilitia.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Thug Hunter
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 08 Jun 2005
Posts: 134
City: Austin

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAW wrote:
The all new 2006 Mobius LSV is where it's at (not to be confused with the 05/06 Outback LSV-different boat). Deep freeboard, TONS of storage, GREAT wake, and an even better price tag.

Seriously, when at your local boat show this year, check out that boat!


I agree w/NAW. On paper it looks pretty good. I almost pulled the trigger on a v-ride until I heard about this boat. I can't wait 'till Jan. 11th to see it at the boat show. If the freeboard is as deep as it looks in the pics, I think the '06 LSV may be my next boat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
D420
Soul Rider
Soul Rider


Joined: 21 May 2005
Posts: 279
City: NAPLES

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i own a 05 lsv mobius and it kicks ass. i dont like the low freeboard but it is a good boat for the price and throws a nice wake.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
djiali
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 08 Sep 2005
Posts: 176
City: Alexandria

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2005 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a 99 outback as our first boat...I love it. But the older line of moombas were really cross-discipline boats. I'm with NAW, waiting for the boat shows to check out the 06 mob...think that will be my major purchase for the year.
Now, the XLV is where it's really at. with a $40k price tag, you get the 24ft boat, and the gravity games wake to boot. I'm seriously considering this one as well, but I'm really concerned about the water depth in some of the places we ride. Around this area, once summer hits, either you ride really early, or catch the last hour of sun before it's dark...otherwise the other boaters+wind make the riding crappy.
So, another thumbs up for Moomba.

_________________
Washington DC Wakeboard Crew - http://www.dcwake.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
redhededstepchild
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 15 May 2003
Posts: 52
City: Austin

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an '04 XLV that I purchased new in '04. Besides problems with the PP (which is common to PP and not a Moomba ussue) I had to have the starter and a starter relay replaced under warranty-not one other hint of problem. This boat puts out an incredible wake, has TONS of storage and has been an absolute joy to own...I highly recommend it. Feel free to PM me if you have more in depth questions.

djiali-As far as water depth, you'll need the same depth to operate in as any other inboard. Go ahead and pull the trigger, you will not regret it!

_________________
well aw-right, awr-ight - wooderson
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
goinbig143
Addict
Addict


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 659
City: Wonder lake

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode an 05 lsv and liked it alot. The 06 looks like it has great potential.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jburnside
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 May 2003
Posts: 22
City: Dearborn, MI

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are on our second Moomba, an '05 Mobius LSV. Our first Moomba was an '03 Outback LS. The only reason we traded it in was for the V-drive configuration and more wakeboard specific wake. Both experianced no major issues. The most annoying thing was on our new boat, the snap-in carpet did not fit properly. The dealer fixed it with no troubles. Great boats at really competitive prices! Go for it. Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vampyre
Addict
Addict


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 622
City: Ooltewah, TN

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2005 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat in a 05 and 06 Mobius LSV. There is no comparison. The freeboard is much higher, I think it was like an additional 5 inches.
cameraboy, I agree, sitting in the 05, was like sitting in a toy. NOT SO in the 06. The 06 has a much nicer, thicker, taller tower also, more headroom. I am 6'4" and in the 05, the bimini was at shoulder lever stored on the tower. In the 06 it didn't even hit my head when stored, wrapped on the the new tower.
Just all around, a much nicer boat, higher quality interior also.
I will be getting one at the end of 06 season

_________________
Be an organ donor! My father is alive today because of kind souls that donate life...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BioliteRy
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 26 Nov 2005
Posts: 206
City: O-town

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

absplatty,

And I thank your old man.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
lowdrag
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 28 Aug 2003
Posts: 188

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was sitting in an '06 LSV just last week. All I can say is that my '03 is as good as gone. As soon as the boat shows come around, I'll be making a trade. I like my '03 but it seems like '06 is going to be a banner year for Moomba. They really stepped up. The interior still isn't as luxurious as some other boats but with the '06 they have done a lot to close the gap. I was really impressed. The new tower looks like it's the same diameter as the one on the XLV. Oh, and tons of storage.

I'm really surprised that the base price only went up $1400 with all that they did to this boat. They also offer the performance package that includes PP, wakeplate, and 325 EFI motor upgrade. Buying the package saves you about $1200 over last years price for buying each option. A swing away tongue on the trailer is also standard this year. Between those two you've saved more than the price increase. Add in the $3200 in free options for the boat show incentives and you can walk away with a serious boat for less than $40k.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goinbig143
Addict
Addict


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 659
City: Wonder lake

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
...... The interior still isn't as luxurious as some other boats but with the '06 they have done a lot to close the gap....


I have a buddy who I have heard make snide remarks about the Moomba interior.
He owns an older (late 90's), cheaper model of one of the big 3 boats. His interior is less plush than the same year mobius, and not even in the same league as the newer moombas.

The lsv and xlv are great wakeboard boats.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MalibuBalla12
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 20 Mar 2005
Posts: 28
City: Ingleside

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not impressed with the MB, although it looks very cool with the flames... also the ballast is very notable... go with the Bu, the wake is more solid, along with the solidness of the boat as a whole
_________________
"Losers whine about doing their best, while the winners are at home, f***ing the prom queen."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
lowdrag
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 28 Aug 2003
Posts: 188

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By MB are you referring to MB boats or Moomba? If you're referring to Moomba, I wasn't aware that they offer any flame graphics. Supra does for '06. Also, if you are talking about Moomba and you think that their boats are built as solidly as any of the other manufacturers you're kidding yourself.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steve
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 30 Jul 2003
Posts: 63
City: Denton

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a '04 XLV new in '04 and have not been disapointed. Spring for the 340hp motor, MPI is really the way electronic fuel injection was meant to be. With MPI each cylinder gets its own unique fuel-air mixture. It actually gets slightly better fuel economy than the 310 or 325hp motors so in the long run it will pay for itself. The wake can't be bad since it was used in the gravity games. If it sucked I'm sure you would have heard a competitors complaining that they should have used a different boat. I'm still a wakeboard novice so not a great judge of wakes, but it is better than my previous boat which was an offshore racer style with a I/O.

Do some forum searches on Moomba and you'll probably see that for the last few years owners are generally very satisfied. A long time ago it looked to me like there was a quality control issue from reading various posts but Skiers Choice has turned it around since then.

_________________
most authors of novels regarded as classics are dead, classic novels are, therefore, most likely to be written by dead people
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
itch
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak


Joined: 01 Jul 2003
Posts: 2563
City: m m m itch igan

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the guys in my crew BrocolliB (from this site here) it's pictured in his profile.
It's a great boat, Drives well I like the throttle throws a nice wake. It to me is a little shallow but it does the job just fine. My v-ride seems to suck gas like it's a good tasting beer compared to his boat.
ITCH

_________________
I would kill my Rabi with a pork chop to sleep with your sister!


Last edited by itch on Jan 03, 2006 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Blog Visit poster's website AIM Address
goinbig143
Addict
Addict


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 659
City: Wonder lake

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowdrag wrote:
By MB are you referring to MB boats or Moomba? If you're referring to Moomba, I wasn't aware that they offer any flame graphics. Supra does for '06. Also, if you are talking about Moomba and you think that their boats are built as solidly as any of the other manufacturers you're kidding yourself.


Do you have anything to back this statement up, or are you just spouting off uninformed crap?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jon
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 1176

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lowdrag,

If you are interested, pm me and I would be more than happy to go over construction processes with you. I guarantee you Moombas are one of the best build boats on the market.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
lowdrag
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 28 Aug 2003
Posts: 188

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry guys, there was a typo in my previous post. What I meant to say was: If you think Moombas aren't built as well as any other boat out there you're kidding yourself.

So no, I didn't intend to spout uninformed crap and I was trying to contradict a previous post that did. It's not my style to bash anyone's boat, especially my own.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
txnautique
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2006 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im not getting into the petty my boat the coolest boat but in my honest onpion I dont think mobius is a very good boat at you would be better off spending a little more and getting a new malibu or a slightly used nautique of MC. I have two friends with mobious's, one with an 04 lsv and another with an 05 ls. Neither would say that their boat is great and the one with the 04 had way too many problems. (packing gland always leaked, entire swim deck fell off while riding, tower had way to much vibration, trailer broke, and countless latches and hatches just not working right.) Also his interior was the thinnest upholstry i have ever seen and the cushion directly infront of the V-Drive had so little foam and vynel you letterally stabbed your foot on a screw that held the vynel on under the seat. (really hurt)
The friend with the 05 ls which my friends and all think is better then the lsv is realativly happy with his. But when he bought his the head lights didn't have any sealent around them and leaked. When he called the dealer in dallas they said that the way they come. He has also had a problem with the fiberglass in the rear "browning" which according to the dealer is most likely the internal sack are leaking and some how the fiberglass is letting in water. They said they might give him another boat if that is the case, but just another experience with mobius. But I actually like the 05 ls pretty well for the price, the wake is decent but not as good as my friends wakessetter lsv, or even my 95 ski naut. (honestly) Anyway, I read the post and just felt i should give you my experience with mobius. By the way, the friend with the 05 ls had an outback skier, and that thing was horrible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
goinbig143
Addict
Addict


Joined: 20 Feb 2005
Posts: 659
City: Wonder lake

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoops!
If it was a typo, I apoligize for jumping on you.
I just do not dig people hacking on other peoples rides.
I agree with your amended post!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SEATTLE
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 18 Dec 2003
Posts: 92
City: Seattle

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2000 Mob-V owner.

I have over 700hrs on my boat now, and not a single issue. I haven't had any problems with using it year round rain, snow, sleet, even some sun in the summers. Rolling Eyes

My interior is finally wearing out, but It's been wet virtually year round since I bought the boat due to the amount of riding time we put in every week.

Every year I go to the boat show, look at the prices of the competitors, and roll my eyes. I definately don't have as plush of an interior but in the wake deptartment my boat with the CG ballast is right up there with most of the boats on the market these days.




board-profile-08-05.jpg

 Description:
 Filesize:  81.71 KB
 Viewed:  19119 Time(s)


_________________
BLAH... BLAH... BLAH. Get in the water and show me what you know BIATCH!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
djustice
Criminal
Criminal


Joined: 08 Apr 2005
Posts: 77

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what a boat should look like, simple tastefull graphics and color scheme. 20 years from now, people are going to look back at most of the current crop of wakeboard boats and hold them in the same regard as shag carpet and puke green pintos. Our kids are going to look at pictures of these boats and think the same thing as when you first saw a picture of your dad in a leisure suit with a fro, WTF were they thinking.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McFly
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 15 Jan 2003
Posts: 210
City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TXnautique, that's a pretty good story...except for the fact that I am the Dealer in Dallas and I seriously doubt that myself, or any of the staff here would ever tell a boat owner that "that is just the way they come".

As many Moomba boats that we have sold over the past few years (200+), we have never seen a boat with as many of the problems that you have described. Sure, problems exist in any boat, but it is the owner's responsibility to get the boat back to the dealer for the warranty work before the problems worsen.

McFly
Waterski Boats Dallas

_________________
http://www.NStockNow.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man


Joined: 13 Jan 2003
Posts: 17617
City: Webster

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djustice, when it comes to the tribal graphics and stuff, I think you're right.
_________________
I walk 47 miles of barb wire, I got a cobra snake for a necktie, a brand new house up on the road side, and it's made out of rattlesnake hide
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Willy
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 01 Feb 2004
Posts: 159
City: Montreal

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted a boat that does a good job for both Wakeboarding and Slalom. After doing some research I decided on a Mobius LS (got it new in 04). It does a what it's supposed to, no frills. It just plain works well. Couldn't be happier.

Good luck.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vampyre
Addict
Addict


Joined: 12 Oct 2004
Posts: 622
City: Ooltewah, TN

PostPosted: Jan 04, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

txnautique, See my post about my observations between the 05 and 06 Moomba LSV
_________________
Be an organ donor! My father is alive today because of kind souls that donate life...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
txnautique
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2006 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey mcfly, you, or an associate told my friend "that was how it came" and you could put cualk in the lights if he drove the boat up from waco, or he could fix it himself, which he did, and the individual recommended a particular sealent. The other person who's name was taylor houdack had all of those problems and more. (and he did buy it from your dealership) I've never seen a boat with such poor quality and driving characteristics as that 04 lsv. The 05 ls drives 10X's better then the lsv. The interior is also much better, (an option i know, but I didn't even know anybody produced an option as low quality as the one he has). Now, dont everybody go getting mad, this is simply my opinion which i have gathered from several moombas. The 05 ls is actually a pretty decent boat and throws a decent wake. My friends looks great, nearly all white (he took off all the graphics and blacked out the windows with bazooka speakers of the tower) but as an opinion, and remember, thats what oafer3797 was asking for, i would spend a little more money and go with something else. No disrespect to moomba owners...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
McFly
Outlaw
Outlaw


Joined: 15 Jan 2003
Posts: 210
City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TXNautique, I am not going to get into an internet battle with you, nor anyone else for that matter. But let me make a couple of points.

#1, we would never use an adhesive to seal the docking lights to the hull of the boat, because there would be no way to remove them from the hull for maintenance once the adhesive had set. If the docking lights were leaking water, then we would be more than happy to reseal them using the proper gaskets.

#2, I do have Mr. Houdeck's boat here at the shop for maintenance. I will not post pictures of his boat, but I will say this. This particular boat has been thru much abuse. An owner must take care of his boat in order to achieve it's life expectancy.

I am glad that you mentioned that the boat does not drive well. I just walked outside to check it out and found underwater gear damage. One of the tracking fins is bent out of line, there is gelcoat damage on the bottom of the hull, the rudder is extremely hard to turn, and the key way has been sheared from where the prop is locked onto the shaft, along with a missing cotter pin. We will have to remove the prop to see if the shaft and strut are bent. All of these factors are major contributors as to why a boat will not drive correctly.

Thanks!

McFly
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address
NAW
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak


Joined: 13 Jan 2003
Posts: 4295
City: Chicago-ish

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boooyaaa!!


...sorry, couldn't help myself. Embarassed

_________________
www.MidwestMilitia.net
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jburnside
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 16 May 2003
Posts: 22
City: Dearborn, MI

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always amazing to me that the people who don't take care of their equipment are the first to complain about the lack of performance of their expensive toys. I know that txnautique was not the owner of either boat he mentioned but the owners must have been complaining to him or he would have never posted anything right???

I love my 05' Mobius and I loved my '03 Outback LS

Peace!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
txnautique
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 19 Jan 2003
Posts: 45

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

touche, houdack didn't take very good care of his boat, and we constantley got on to him about that fact and actually did alot of the cleaning and work on it just becuase he was lazy and inept. However, there were still alot of little quality issues, (latches, carpeting, seals, screws comming loose. etc...) on the 04 lsv that i simply thought were unacceptable. I will say that the 05 ls is a much better looking boat (quality wise) but i'm not sure if that was just an option upgrade. I've heard good things about the 06's from several people but still have a poor opinion on them in genereal from the 04 lsv and older outback (not sure model or year, just know that with a pole the ass end slid around like nobodies business and the wake was poop!) The wake on the 05 is decent but i would still take a malibu or anything above that before i spent my money on a mobius. (maybe supra, I havent ridin behind one yet) Just spend a little more (your financing anyway) and buy something better. My opinion.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum
             


Copyright © 2012 - Wakeboarding - Wakeboarder.com - All Right Reserved
Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group