Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Motors running, but no scenery going by

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobeer net
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Fort Smith

PostPosted: May 07, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Motors running, but no scenery going by Reply with quote

So i was idling in a cove, go to put it in forward and i hear what I think was a metal on metal noise for a few seconds. It was enough that the people in the back of the boat heard it over the speakers.

Now nothing, forward or backwards yields nothing. I can "put it in gear" and spin the prop either way in reverse. It forward I can spin it one way but not the other.

Its a 90' bayliner (keep the giggles to a minimum) w/ a 5.0 chevy inboard and alpha one outdrive. Any pointers on where to start diagnosis. I'll pull it apart tommorrow and see what I find. Never hurts to ask on here first incase there is a common weak link to look for.

What a great way to start the season.

On a good note, a malibu pulled me in with a smile and wouldn't take money, I'm always impressed/suprised when I meet people like that.

wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: May 09, 2005 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gobeer net,

To state the obvious, it sounds as if your outdrive is toast....I'm no outdrive guy so I'm not certain what that means short of pulling it and rebuilding it....I think there are some pretty good outdrive guys on this board however....I had '90 Bayliner...served us well, it was only a 3.0 but my family all learned to board behind it...

Sorry to hear of your bad luck

Wes

wakessories
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: May 09, 2005 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Any oil inside the boat?
k9fxr
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: MI

PostPosted: May 09, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go and post on iboats.com
you'll get a quick reply
I did
Buergday

PostPosted: May 09, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bummer. Mad Happened to my Alpha 1 last summer. Sounds like you need to visit:
www.sterndrive.cc
I bought my replacement upper unit from them for less than half of what it costs at a local boat shop.
First, you need to figure out if it is the upper or lower unit that's bad. This requires taking the thing apart, so you'll either need a manual... or a mechanic. I did the entire thing myself and it wasn't too difficult, but it took quite a while.
Actually, before you go and take everything apart, check to be sure that your shift cable is ok and that the little tab thing on the sterndrive is engaging when you put it in forward and reverse. If the shift tab thingy is moving correctly, THEN check to see if the outdrive is blown. It would suck to go though the pain of taking the outdrive off and apart, only to find out that a cable is busted.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: May 10, 2005 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also bought a lower unit from www.sterndrive.cc I have been extremely happy with the product and service.

Sounds like your outdrive is toast and most likely your lower unit.

joedirt00
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Baker City

PostPosted: May 10, 2005 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Actually, before you go and take everything apart, check to be sure that your shift cable is ok and that the little tab thing on the sterndrive is engaging when you put it in forward and reverse. If the shift tab thingy is moving correctly, THEN check to see if the outdrive is blown.

Also check the throttle lever assemby at the driver as well before you tear the outdrive apart.

-If you grab a girls hair, and it comes off in your hand, don't laugh, that could have been the best sex ever.
gobeer net
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 10, 2005 5:18 pm    Post subject: not looking good Reply with quote

I started thinking about it and went for the obvious. On the back of the motor there is a splined shaft that goes into the motor. This shaft does NOT turn :-\. I cranked the motor over and the "green arrow" turns, but the shaft that the red arrow points to does NOT turn. Anyone ever seen this. I assume it must turn when the motor does, or is there some kind of engagement there. I can turn the shaft with a screw driver pushing on the splines without much restriction.

Once i get a confirmation that this turns with the motor at all times, then i guess i'll start tearing the outdrive off to get to this. It seems this would be a pretty strong joint?! Does something cause this to break, or do these break on their own....i figured there are weaker items down the line that would break before this does.

gobeer net
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 13, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wimped out.....

local boat shop said $500ish to fix it and they will try to have it done by next weekend. So i'm wimping out and having them fix it.

I'm sure pulling hte outdrive, then the motor, replacing the broken part, putting the motor back in, then lining up the outdrive would ahve been fun and all....but i have plenty of projects to keep me busy (rx7 + ls1 Smile )

gobeer net
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: May 18, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all better (except my wallet)

it was just so much easier to drop it off an pick it up 3 days later. And this way i didn't miss prime boarding time. I'll be behind my boat this weekend instead of working on it. 12 month warranty is a nice feeling as well.

new coupler, labor, and bildge pump...671.89
one more weekend on the water...priceless

wesgardner
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Severna Park

PostPosted: May 19, 2005 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gobeer net,

No shame in "wimping out" - know your strengths, value your time, right... Mr. Green

Hope all runs well for you

Wes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> DIY Projects All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: