Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

03' Wakesetter VLX or B52 VX2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
forwaken
Addict
Addict

City: Turlock, CA

PostPosted: Jan 28, 2003 6:44 am    Post subject: 03' Wakesetter VLX or B52 VX2 Reply with quote

I am going to buy at the pleasanton show and am having a hard time deciding between these two. They are both coming out on Sunday for a side by side test ride although the malibu dealer is telling me that they have tried this 3 times now and all of the time the B52 was a no show for unkown reasons. Anyways any owners/riders out there with any help would be appreciated.

P.S. What trailer does Malibu have/does it use electronic or surge brakes.
skobi1
Addict
Addict

City: eugene, or

PostPosted: Feb 01, 2003 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 02 wakesetter vlx and have no complaints. I've never ridden behind the b-52 so no opinion there other than to mention that malibu is the no. 2 seller worldwide, theres got to be something there.

as far as the trailer goes mine sits on a ryan tandem axle. It had surge brakes but i lost a bearing and while i was working on it I changed over to electric brakes, I just didn't like the jolting of the surge mechanism when i started from stoplights and such.
sandm692478

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2003 4:24 pm    Post subject: 03' wakesetter or B-52 VLX Reply with quote

i couldnt tell you from personal experience but from what ive seen and heard the wakesetter has a siginificantly bigger rampier wake as opposed to the VLX's more flat wege style wake, i guess it would depend but everyone ive tlked to prefers either a super air or VLX wake to a B-52. hope this helps either way ur gettin a phat boat, oh ya and the wakesetter is a bit cheaper too.
chase
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Clermont, FL

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you Wakesetter owners notice a significant bow rise on take-off? I demoed one the other day with alot of weight in it and it seemed to have a ton of bow rise. Is this a weighting issue or a boat issue? Please don't get defensive, the boat was great! I am just curious about this one aspect. Thanks!
forwaken
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand,

Which wake is bigger the Wakesetter or the B52
RYDOG
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: NOR CAL

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a weighting or driver issue. You will get a little bow rise, but that is common with a lot of weight. We load our Wakesetter VLX with over 3000Lbs. and it is not a problem...
sandm692478

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2003 6:51 pm    Post subject: Wakesetter or B-52 Reply with quote

the wakesetters' wake is in fact a bit bigger but what it has that the b-52 lacks, from experience and othrs input, is shape. thinf of skateboarding ramps, theyre flat and usually at about a 45 degree angle, basically more straight than rampy. the wakesetters wake is bigger but its solid all the way through and its shape bucks you like none other compared to the b-52. they both are nice boats but if it was my $ id get the wakesetter, or if ur open for other suggestions the super air natique, that boat takes the cake hands down. take it easy good luck. rip it up.
skobi1
Addict
Addict

City: eugene, or

PostPosted: Feb 02, 2003 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the bow rise on my bu as well. I solved it by putting 400lbs of lead under the bow seating, I dont think it would have took that much to solve it though.
forwaken
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sand,

I checked all the boats out at the nor-cal show, and the SAN (at least what the dealers brought) wasn't finished as well (loose wires, freighed carpet etc.) That was its only knock. I am 99% sure I am going with the VLX. Is 44k+ a good price, that is what my local dealer is offering to match the "Show Price" including: What have some of you guys payed?
Striped bimini cover
Fiberglass step
perfect pass wake board pro
3 vent heater
4 infinity speakers and head unit
Bolster Seat
Complete Wedge
2 sets of pull up cleats
chase
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kind of figured that, but I didn't know if it was the wedge causing it or just a weighting issue. Thanks!
:Kj:

City: Pleasanton, CA

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tested both boats, including a 2003 SuperAir and Mastercraft.

I went with the 2003 B52 for several reasons - i loved the wake, the overall contruction (top notch), the look and... several other little things that really added up.

I purchased it from Mike at the Sporting Edge in Antioch - didnt like Marine Max's selling shhhpeeel (they are the dealer selling the MB's at the Pleasanton Boat Show), in addition, i heard their service is awful - Sporting edge beat their price by $$$$$!

Anyway, i'm curious to know what you decided

My Boat Arrow

kj
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
chase
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KJ,
I would love to see some wake pics of your boat, if you have any. Also, did you get the 2-speed transmission? If so, how do you like it?
sean o rama
Criminal
Criminal

City: Sammamish

PostPosted: Feb 03, 2003 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the bow rise was definetly a weighting issue. personaly i think malibus are built way better than MB's. I think it starts with the engine when ive ridden behind a weighted b52 it sounded like it was dying. on the other hand my wakesetter VLX handled 3000 ppounds of water plus peeps like a champ. B52's are just not comprable. the wake was super soft with no pop. ive only ridden them on small (shallow) private lakes. That might have had something to do with it.
Mnordstrom

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a Tige 21V Riders and a I have a buddy with a Wakesetter. We both tested a new B52v and it just wasn't there, even with the ballast tanks full. The boat handled well and came out of the hole quick, but the wake was smaller than my Tige with no weight added. My buddies Wakesetter has a pretty decent wake since he's added about 1500 pounds. In addition, i love the B52v, but once we got it on the water it seemed small. This is likely due to the floor being raised to support the ballast system underneath. Bottom line, the Malibu is a better option but only due to wake and room. The B52 is well built and is a beautiful boat. However, if you want a bigger wake, you'll need to look at the Tige's. Even my buddy finally admitted that the Tige wake was the best he had ridden.
sandm692478

PostPosted: Feb 04, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here in KY las t week i saw a pretty well equipped VLX for 37K, so i dunno 44 may be ok i gues i think u can prolly get him to knock a few K off tho, but not a bad price. I woulda gone with the VLX as well compared to the B-52. send me some pics of your boat when u get it. l8a.
LickerPig
Criminal
Criminal

City: Orlando, FL

PostPosted: Feb 05, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with the VLX! Get it blank and put a Boss setup on it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: