Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

School me on Houston

View previous topic :: View next topic  
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject: School me on Houston Reply with quote

Going to Houston for a short(3/4 nights) in and out work trip, end of May/first of June. Staying at the Hilton Americas, will not have a car.

Days should be fairly full, not sure what they have planned for the nights, but I may sneak away a bit. Good local eats and beers, hopefully walking distance or a quick Lyft?

Side note, Astros are in with the RSox. Usually I can walk up and scalp tickets for less than face value after 1st pitch at the Parks I’ve been to, but got stung at Fenway last Summer. Think it’s worth doing that or just getting tickets 1-2 weeks before on StubHub?

Thanks in advance!
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as food/beers, just great hole in the wall. I’m old, married(she’s not traveling) and will probably be with a colleague or two. Flip flops and shorts, not loafers and sport coat.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclamer-I am an old bastard and don't get out much.
It looks like you are staying downtown. Within the last 10 years they have really turned downtown around there are a bunch of good eating places/bars there. Astros are hot (obviously) right now but I doubt they will sell out. There is also a cool sports bar next to the stadium also I thank called Home Plate?. Houston does not have public transportation you want to ride plan on walking, uber/lyft everywhere you go.

ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't live in Houston, but I spend a few days a month there. Hilton Americas is good. It's right next to the Toyota Center which is where the Rockets play and where the good concerts are. You'll be a good walk from Minute Maid (Astros). Lots of good places to eat in that area. 3 Forks and Vic and Anthony's are good steakhouses. There's a good Mexican joint between the convention center and Minute Maid, but I can't remember the name of it. Guadalajara is more mainstream Mexican, but very good. Pappasitos is right by the Hilton which is kind of a Texas staple. Any of the Pappas restaurants (start with Pappa or Pappas in the name) are good. The Phoenician is an epicurean market with good breakfast within walking distance of the Hilton. The Flying Saucer is a good bar with lots of beers on tap. Also walking distance from Hilton.

There is public transportation (bus and rail) downtown, but I have no idea where it goes and I've never used it. Uber drivers are plentiful anytime of day. There is a tunnel system downtown to keep you out of the weather (heat and rain). See if you can find a map of it.

I haven't bought scalped tickets at the Astros, but have done it at many sporting events in Texas without any problems. I've always been able to find tickets for face value or less a few minutes before the game. I would plan on buying them off a scalper if I were in your situation.

You'll see plenty of people in their white collar work clothes at bars downtown, but I'm not aware of any place with a dress code and I don't think you'll get any funny looks in shorts and flip flops. The steakhouses I mentioned are higher end, but no dress code as far as I know.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Flying Saucer on Main Street and the corner of I believe Texas. Tons of beer choices there. By Minute Maid, there are two bars that are pretty busy on game day - Home Plate being one of them. Hopefully it won't be too hot at that time of year.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 01, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Houston is a fun city. Good food, east transport, polite/friendly people.

Had some good BBQ and great fish. BSOX vs Astros game was fun. Minute Maid Park, beautiful, but a train wreck getting people in. We skipped crowds and hung in local watering hole waiting for the line to die(about 2nd inning).
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2018 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were having a give away, yes, it is a beating getting in. Were you at the bar across the street from the park? If so, that's a great spot to get a beer. I'm glad you enjoyed Houston.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn...been a long time since i've logged in here. never even saw this thread. my bud's bbq joint is right by the stadium and a perfect spot to pre-game.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 16, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which one? also, what longhorn site you lurking on now?
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

champkind is mostly running out of lucky's now.
https://www.facebook.com/bucksbbqco/
https://www.instagram.com/bucksbbqco/

texas meatly's review from last week:
Quote:
@bucksbbqco is located on Rusk Street, two blocks from Minute Maid Park in Downtown Houston, home of the reigning World Series Champion Houston Astros. It’s fitting that owner Jim Buchanan decided to set up shop and smoke delicious Texas Barbecue in the shadow of a stadium who’s team celebrates a long, storied history of “Killer B’s.” Well Houston, you can now proudly add another Killer B for Buck’s to that brotherhood of Downtown heroes. Jim may not be digging in taking swings at home plate but trust me, he is absolutely knocking it out of the park. Get down there and see for yourself! 🎥: @pancake57

from jim (champ), just the other day:
Quote:
We've reached the one year anniversary of Buck's Barbeque Co. and are nearing the anniversary of Hurricane Harvey, and there are a number of thoughts running through my mind. We aren't where we expected to be one full year into this, but we're also much more fortunate than some in this industry. I'm blessed to have so many friends who have supported and encouraged me along the way and I can see that this thing has a real future. We've earned quite a bit of critical acclaim and have developed a following that makes me very proud. Our relationship with the folks at Lucky's Lodge and Lucky's Pub has resulted in a stability that should be fruitful for both sides, and has given us a platform to push a more diverse menu out to the public. I could have called it quits after our building in the Heights flooded. But I didn't. And I had a lot of help and support on the road to recovery. And I am incredibly thankful to each and every one of you.

We're still here, and we're still putting out quality barbeque that is made with pride and love. Nothing gives me more happiness than watching someone leave after a meal with a look of satisfaction on their face. And that is what drives me on this journey. If you haven't come to see us yet, you really should take the time to check us out and enjoy a meal. And please make sure to say hello and let us know how we're doing.

Get at us.

Last edited by jt09 on Aug 17, 2018 10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lurking on surly, just not posting. needed a break from the morons that drive me up a wall. plus, so many old schoolers don't post there anymore, so...
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Aug 23, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info on Jim.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: