Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

20' wakeboard boat buying input

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SchmidtHappens

City: Seattle, WA

PostPosted: Dec 28, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: 20' wakeboard boat buying input Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I am in the market for a new 20' wakeboard boat, and looking for input. Primary use is cruising our small lake, wakeboarding, surfing and tubing. Occassional skiing and occassional cruising in Puget Sound (saltwater). I want a good wake and to surf easily (i.e. automated), but I can't afford, and probably couldn't appreciate a true competition boat.

Our family cabin is at a small lake (longest run is about 2500 LF), and this is where the boat will be used most of the time. We are never more than 5 mins from the dock, so I don't see a need for wakeboard racks...and I can always add them later? A 20' boat is perfect for us...22 is too big for driving, storage, etc. The lake is so small that you can definitely wakeboard, but there isn't a lot of extra room. I am a decent wakeboarder (180 across the wake...), but I want to get something that the family and friends can enjoy.

We have had a Bayliner 175 for 12 years and love it, but it is time to upgrade. Our budget is around $60-70k. I'm considering the Moomba Helix, and maybe the Axis A20...and possibly the MB F21 Tomcat or NXT20, although that is stretching the budget. I'm staying away from the WT-1, for sure.

I'm planning on buying at the boat show in the next 60 days, so I probably won't be able to drive it...which is a huge concern...but I honestly just love being on the water with a nice wake, and don't know that a little difference in handling here or there will be a big deal. That said, I looked at the Bayliner VR5 and was shocked at how "utilitarian" and cheap the interior felt. I plan on owning this boat for 15+ years...and I want to be proud of it.

For the saltwater, I will definitely have a galv trailer, and will use the flush kit religiously. I understand that will be enough...just want to make sure I'm not going to ruin the boat long-term by putting it in the saltwater. We'll leave it in the water most of the season (~3-4 months), but will probably pull it for 3-5 saltwater day trips each year. I'm a little concerned about stereo components/wiring rusting out?

On my 175, I've had very little maintenance. What will I need to do on a new V-drive??

Also, can you tube using the tower...or will that damage the hull at all? I gather that most of the newer boats are reinforced much better than older models.

Please share any thoughts! Thank you!
samthompson

PostPosted: Feb 13, 2017 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak to all of what you asked, but from a salt water perspective, just remember to wash it down real good and flush the engine after each use. This is fresh water hose and possibly a deck brush after EVERY use. Don't skimp, not even one time. Salt can corrode things real fast but if you stay on top of it, you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Regardless of fresh or salt water, boats are made to be in the water so you're not going to ruin anything as long as you remember to take care of it.

Any ideas on what will be available at the boat show?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: