Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Vehicle Change?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Mar 29, 2016 12:16 pm    Post subject: Vehicle Change? Reply with quote

So, we're looking at the possibility of getting a new (or new to us) vehicle. At least for the foreseeable future, my wife may be driving into town for work, rather than being close to our new place. Since we no longer have the boat, or anything large to haul, we're considering something other than a 1/2 ton truck. We haven't completely ruled out another truck, but we're keeping our options open. Some thoughts are:

4runner
Durango
Grand Cherokee
RAM 1500 Eco-diesel
F-150 Ecoboost

Thoughts and suggestions are definitely very welcome.

ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2016 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will it be used for and for how long? Owned out of warranty? How close are you to the Dodge dealer and how good is their loaner program?
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife had a Grand Cherokee before we gave it to the nephew. She is still sad about not having that car. Ran great with no major repair problems. By the time the nephew sold it the car had over 170K miles. Room for our family of 4 around town and even on trips.

I would not be surprised if we do not end up with another Jeep in the future.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2016 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix wrote:
What will it be used for and for how long? Owned out of warranty? How close are you to the Dodge dealer and how good is their loaner program?

Her commute (~30 miles, for now), family activities, light hauling (utility trailer, small equipment, firewood), long trips, country road driving (gravel roads mostly around areas friends live), some light off road activity on our property or around other areas in the country. How long we own will likely be dependent upon how new and low mileage we get. Probably owned outside of factory warranty, but might get extended warranty.

Pretty much all brand dealerships are in the city about 20-30 miles away.

Loaner programs on all of them seem to be a bit hit or miss.

Last edited by Okie Boarder on Mar 30, 2016 8:54 am; edited 2 times in total
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2016 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster wrote:
My wife had a Grand Cherokee before we gave it to the nephew. She is still sad about not having that car. Ran great with no major repair problems. By the time the nephew sold it the car had over 170K miles. Room for our family of 4 around town and even on trips.

I would not be surprised if we do not end up with another Jeep in the future.

I've heard some good things about the JGC, and we have a couple friends with newer ones.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2016 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't ruled out a truck, but don't want full size, I love my Tacoma. Gas milage is around 19 (HWY / city mix). It tows well and does ok with hauling.
ohsix

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 4Runner is sort of a stand out in your list as it's usually bought for reliability over all other functions. It's a body on frame SUV and has stellar reliability and satisfaction ratings. However, it usually costs more, gets poorer fuel mileage, and less interior space than other SUVs in its class. If you want to keep a vehicle for 200,000+ miles, go with the 4Runner. If you plan to trade every 2-3 years, go with the one that gets you the most features/comfort for the price.

If you want a 1/2 ton pickup, test drive them all and decide from there. I don't think there's a clearly a best or worst brand among the 1/2 ton pickups. I really don't think you can go really right or really wrong among Ford, Dodge, Chevy, Toyota, or Nissan. You're going to find people who will tell you why their brand is best and every other brand is junk, but they're just being biased. Through my business, I've owned many different trucks of Dodge/Ram, Ford, and GM. None of them stand out in reliability or problems versus the others. We did have one F150 Ecoboost, which was marginally more expensive than the 5.0 V8. It wasn't significantly different than the 5.0 V8 in reliability, fuel economy, or any other noticeable factor, so we did not purchase any more Ecoboost F150s.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
If you haven't ruled out a truck, but don't want full size, I love my Tacoma. Gas milage is around 19 (HWY / city mix). It tows well and does ok with hauling.

Hmmm, Tacoma might be a good option to add to the list.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix, good info. I have noticed that when looking at some 1-2 year old vehicles out of my list, the 4runner is the highest price for used, and is much closer to the new price than any of the others. If we go that route, we may go new and also plan to keep much longer.
ohsix

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2016 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder, Tacoma is in the same category as the 4Runner. They hold their value very well and seem to be very reliable.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last 2 vehicles have been 4runner and tacoma (current). when it's time to change, i'm going back to the 4runner. drives much better, has real room in the back seat and the difference in what you can haul is negligible.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Mar 30, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Tacoma and I really liked it. Traded it in for a Tundra because I needed a bigger truck for pulling purposes. If you are at all interested in mid size trucks I highly recommend the Tacoma. And if you go new, they came out with the new style this year and they are pretty badass.

If a SUV is more fitting for your needs a 4-runner is the only way to go.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2016 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
last 2 vehicles have been 4runner and tacoma (current). when it's time to change, i'm going back to the 4runner. drives much better, has real room in the back seat and the difference in what you can haul is negligible.

Have you towed or hauled much with either? What kind of gas mileage have you typically gotten?

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2016 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TnR6Rida wrote:
I had a Tacoma and I really liked it. Traded it in for a Tundra because I needed a bigger truck for pulling purposes. If you are at all interested in mid size trucks I highly recommend the Tacoma. And if you go new, they came out with the new style this year and they are pretty badass.

Did you tow or haul much with the Tacoma? What has been your experience as far as gas mileage.

Yeah, I've seen a couple new ones around town and I like how they look.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2016 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't tow at all. can't say i've paid much attention to gas mileage either. want to say it's pretty similar for both - right around 18mpg - but the last time i did detailed recordkeeping for the 4runner was 5 or 6 years ago when i got it, and the tacoma numbers are purely anecdotal. put it this way - i never feel like it's crappy mileage, whether it takes me a week to run down a tank driving around town, or if i'm headed to sa/houston/dallas.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Apr 02, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

of your suggested trucks, i'd go 4runner. i looked at them last fall. i never got to the point of driving one before i talked myself out of a truck, but i decided it was at the top of my list.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 2 Jeep GC's. First one was a 2000 with the 4.0L I6, only minor maintenance and had it over 150K miles when I got rid of it (should have rode it til it died). Bought a 2011 that was in the shop a lot. Steering rack completely failed at 75K of highway only miles and it's not an uncommon failure on those cars. That was the final straw for me. 2011 had a lot of lemons, not sure if they've improved since. If I ever buy another SUV it'll be a 4Runner.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Apr 04, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No experience with any of those except the F-150 EB. I've got a 2011 model with the SuperCrew that I love. Get around 18MPG in winter, closer to 20MPG in summertime.

This is my first pickup after driving an Explorer for 10 years. I got it mainly as my daily driver but also for towing the boat. Even without the boat, I may never drive another non-pickup again.

TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Apr 10, 2016 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
TnR6Rida wrote:

Did you tow or haul much with the Tacoma? What has been your experience as far as gas mileage.

Yeah, I've seen a couple new ones around town and I like how they look.

Yes I did a lot. Pulled a bass boat all summer and a hunting boat all winter. The Tacoma tows just fine. I mean I could tell it was back there going up hills and such, but it got the job done. I just traded for the Tundra because I am pulling the bass boat longer distances now for tournaments very often.

As far as gas milage I really don't know. I never bothered to check it. It did pretty decent, but obviously went down quite a bit when towing.

What do you plan to tow/haul?
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At this point it would probably be a utility trailer with firewood, small equipment, materials, or with a UTV on it. I doubt we will tow much more than that.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2016 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow a jet ski with mine. I know it is back there, but it tows great. I didn't really pay attention to the gas mileage while towing though. It didn't drop much, that I can say.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get 20 MPG in an F150?????

I average 16 liters per 100km which is around 15 MPG. I have the 2015 eco with the new aluminum body. Mind you I don't drive the speed limit anywhere, but then if you are driving the speed limit in your truck maybe you'd be better suited to be driving a RAV 4 or a CRV??

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x4 versus 4x2? Shouldn't be that much of a penalty, but still.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2016 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4x4
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski wrote:

I average 16 liters per 100km which is around 15 MPG. I have the 2015 eco with the new aluminum body. Mind you I don't drive the speed limit anywhere, but then if you are driving the speed limit in your truck maybe you'd be better suited to be driving a RAV 4 or a CRV??

I drive downhill in neutral everywhere I go!!!

I do a lot of highway driving and driving on parkways/divided highways on my daily commute. Speed limits are 45-55 in those areas and traffic doesn't really allow you to do all that much speeding that would make a difference in your MPG. If I only drive to work and back in 5 days' time, I can get 21MPG when it isn't windy or heavy stop and go traffic.

My problem is that I like to do 75-80 whenever possible so I'm usually closer to the 18-19MPG range when it is all said and done. But I can do that 20 MPG without trying super hard.

senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2016 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski wrote:

What does driving the speed limit have anything to do with buying a crossover? Since you have a truck you're automatically supposed to drive it like it's a pre-runner?

Drive one tank of gas all highway going 65-70 mph and you'll easily get over 20 mpg on that Ecoboost
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Apr 21, 2016 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2015 F150 Ecoboost with 20k miles on it and I'm at about 15.6 over that time. I haven't seen 20 MPG on a tank no matter how I drive it. I have zero interest in owning another vehicle. I've had a number of GM's up to this point, but this truck blows it away.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew, apparently, you and Bam drive around with your e-brake on and O/D off. Morans. Confused

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Apr 22, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chavez, Apparently we are morons!

not that I really care about a couple of miles per gallon. Going from my F250 to the new Eco boost it's so much better on the wallet. However I do realize it's a truck and at some point you really aren't buying or driving a truck because of the mileage. The way it drives and how it handles I''m not sure why you limit yourself with a smaller truck to tell you the truth.

I don't know what it's like in other parts of the country, around here I think the new F150 must out sell everything other truck 10-1. I have the ford blue truck and even if I just compared new Ford Blue trucks to how many new chevy's I see i'll bet the ratio is still 3-1. Ford killed it with this truck and I don't get how you could ever buy a different truck if you actually drove all three back to back. IMO, there was no comparison...

tball
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 04, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I traded in my 2013 Tacoma (which was a perfect vehicle for "me") for a 2015 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel (which is perfect for the family). It gets about 8 mpg better than the Tacoma in real-world driving. Much more room, much better ride. It has the airbag suspension that I can control ride height (within limitations). There's a lot of nanny stuff on the Ram that the simpler (in a good way) Tacoma didn't, and the Ram cockpit software has been underwhelming. The a/c controls are wonky, the phone interface sucks, and the center console storage isn't well thought out. It's like people that really wanted to do a good job but had no idea how to do it built the inside of the truck. On the plus side, the stereo sounds awesome, I like having a sunroof (flame on...), and even though it doesn't have Cummins Diesel balls, it's quite fun to drive once you adjust to the turbo lag and the unbelievably-close-ratio 8 speed automatic.

If you're really into maximizing fuel mileage, the ecodiesel is your truck. Nothing with a truckbed gets equivalent mileage that I'm aware of. If mileage isn't your #1 priority, I'd say Tacoma or F150 depending on how much space you need.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 05, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting 6 - 8 months for my job to stabilize and to pile up a bigger down payment for a new ride. I am sold on the F150 4WD EcoBoost XLT. I love the inside, how it rides and how it pulls. I am done with the Tacoma. I love it, but not big enough for the family. So, now I have to be patient and not get all jumpy for a new truck.

Oh, and I had a moment of crazy where I wanted a Raptor, but decided the $20,000 cost over a XLT was not smart at all. That's half the cost of the pool we want. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: