Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Wakeboarding, St. Lucia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tprkolbas
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: white lake

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2015 3:42 pm    Post subject: Wakeboarding, St. Lucia Reply with quote

I'm planning a trip to the Sandals Grande St. Lucian, in St. Lucia in a couple months and am curious if anyone has any recent feedback on the wake boarding situation at the resort?

What kind of boat?

What kind of board?

Should I bring my own board?

I've found some old threads on this topic on both here and WW, but nothing in the last 3 years or so.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

suckmywake
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Thunder Bay

PostPosted: Feb 11, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode during our trip last year to Sandals Halcyon. Boat was an older MC prostar or something. I was pulled around in the bay in front of the resort, back and forth about 4 times. Super wavy and stuff, so it was just fun to get out for like 10 minutes to say I did it. Board selection wasn't that great from what I remember, but honestly I don't know how much serious riding you're going to get in if that's what you're thinking about. I wouldn't waste my time bringing my own board. If it winds up being the same situation for you that was for me, I can't see it being worth it.

Just my .2 cents. Awesome place, awesome people, and Sandals resort = good times dude. Have fun.
Akeap

PostPosted: Mar 27, 2015 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were staying at the Rendevous Resort and they had a outboard small boat offering wakeboarding and waterskiing.

The board was a 143 (massive for me) and one set of open toe size 11 bindings (I am a size 9) so the board wasn't ideal and the wake was about 5 inches at best and a mile wide at the length of rope offered!

Great fun having 3/4 pulls a day, if it was choppy then I spent most of the time ollieing waves and determined to wake to wake throughout the week and just about making it.

I don't think wakeboarding is big there and did think it could be a business idea and moving from the UK to setup! Smile
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: May 20, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take kiteboard lesson instead.

I think they have someone doing lessons in one of the bays on the north end of the island. The best kiteboarding is in the bay on the south east end though where the "The Reef" restaurant is, it's basically right next to the airport there. The trade wins are pretty much done though, so getting wind would be pretty hit miss. If you're going now till Oct it's going to be hot as balls. Holy crap it will be hot and sticky if you don't have any trade winds blowing through. It's an awesome island but I don't think I could handle the heat during the summer months.

tprkolbas
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: white lake

PostPosted: Nov 27, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to give an update to this thread:

Just got back from Sandals Grande St. Lucian on 11/21/2015. I did bring my own board down there, and I'm glad I did. Their equipment was pretty beat up and became unusable while I was there. They had an older Hyperlite State 140 board and some LF Watson bindings, but the bindings got shredded and rendered the board useless because they didn't have any spares.

The boat is an older straight inboard MasterCraft, no tower or ballast. There isn't much of a wake at all. If I really worked hard, I could almost make a wake to wake jump. One day the MC was broke down and I had to be towed behind a small outboard with a tower (just a 115hp engine, so speeds were slow). I was mostly only able to do small jumps and surface tricks. They only have a stretch rope that is not sectioned and is pretty long.

The guys at the waterspouts desk were super cool and were always happy to give me a pull. They let me store my board behind the counter and ensured that no one would use it (they even made sure to ask me if it was okay if my wife used my board). If it wasn't busy, they'd give me 2 laps across the bay. Conditions varied based on the wind, but it was okay. If I had the time, I'd usually get a morning set in and another in the afternoon.

All in all, it was a good experience. I didn't get to ride like I normally ride, but considering I won't be riding behind my boat until next May, I was just happy to get out on the water in the off season.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: