Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

School me on Lawn Mowers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2015 7:24 am    Post subject: School me on Lawn Mowers Reply with quote

Looking for tips on a good gas mower, basically just what type of features should I be looking for, engine size, brand recommendations... etc?? I have no idea what the price range should be either...

Here's one I found that looks good, but don't know if it's too expensive unnecessary features??
http://www.homedepot.ca/product/22-inch-personal-pace-lawn-mower-with-honda-engine/861448

We just moved and our lot is about 3 times as big as the old one, so my little electric mower isn't going to cut it anymore. (no bad pun intended)
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went back and forth between the Homda and Toro. Ended up with the Toro Super Recycler and wouldn't change a thing. It's a workhorse and I like it so much, I ended up with a Toro snowblower due to being impressed with the build quality.

Personal Pace kicks ask.

Here is a quick video explaining the mower you linked to and a Super Recycler.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KHPoHSLLc80
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2015 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the Honda engine, SR looks like it's $100 more than the mower you linked to. I'd get into a Toro shop and check it out.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Mowers/Walk-Power-Mowers/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=20382-PersonalPaceHonda

Though Home Depot and Lowes ext give you a lot of options, I'd recommend getting into a speciality shops for Toro and Honda. You'll get a look at their higher end stuff, which may or may not help your decision making.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
With the Honda engine, SR looks like it's $100 more than the mower you linked to. I'd get into a Toro shop and check it out.

http://www.toro.com/en-us/Homeowner/Mowers/Walk-Power-Mowers/Pages/Model.aspx?pid=20382-PersonalPaceHonda

Though Home Depot and Lowes ext give you a lot of options, I'd recommend getting into a speciality shops for Toro and Honda. You'll get a look at their higher end stuff, which may or may not help your decision making.

Thanks E.J. Yeah, that's actually a good idea. My in-laws live out in the country so I could probably find a good specialty shop there. I wasn't sure how good the personal pace actually was or if it's worth it, but you make it sound like it is... and so does the video. I've used some with some pretty sticky shifting mechanisms and that can be a real PIA when mowing on hilly terrain... and we have a sloped yard.

I really do like the looks of the Super Recycler... I just need to get permission to buy it Cool (or I could buy it and just say it was $199) Laughing
BrentC5Z
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Tulsa

PostPosted: Sep 27, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

City folk... Lol

JK. I've heard good things about Toro and my wealthy neighbors lawn care peeps use a lot of Toro stuff. Has to be pretty good.

We all mow about 5 acres a week and that's a little different scenario. I'd stick with EJ's option.

ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggest going to a shop that specializes in commercial lawn equipment. They'll usually have some residential mowers. Snapper, Honda, and Toro all make good commercial equipment. There are probably other brands as well. I think Snapper makes the best bagging mowers, but some people don't like to catch the clippings.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hire a lawn crew. Very Happy
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^this.

I have determined that I hate doing yard work. Therefore, pay someone - and my guy does it for $15/wk. I do get what I pay for, though. Confused Crying or Very sad Laughing

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
ohsix

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
^this.

I have determined that I hate doing yard work. Therefore, pay someone - and my guy does it for $15/wk. I do get what I pay for, though. Confused Crying or Very sad Laughing

I hired a guy at my old house and he did a worse job each time for $60/week. I hired a new company at my new house and they charged ~$380 month and were inconsistent at showing up. I got home from being out of town one Sunday and my grass hadn't been mowed in almost 2 weeks. I bought a lawn mower, weed eater, and edger and fired the yard guy. I actually kind of enjoy doing the yard myself. It takes me about an hour to do the whole thing.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good lord man. I pay $155 a month. They show up around every 8 days. Mow, weed eat, and pull weeds.
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
Hire a lawn crew. Very Happy

This. There really is no better example of the principal of comparative advantage. If you can't put your time to better use then the guy mowing your yard, you have a problem.

If you like it, fine, but you probably like your SO, kids, siblings, parents, family more. Hire a lawn guy, hang out with your family. IMO

vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live on an acre my guy charges $60 to mow if I do it weekly. My wife wanted to buy a zero turn and she said she would mow .....sometimes. Thanks but no thanks I am not spending 3k+ on a lawnmower so I can hire some to mow my grass.
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kids for this. They push a self-propelled Honda Masters Hydrostatic 5.0. Model #HR215 K1 HXA.

It is 15 years old, and it starts first pull every time...much to their annoyance. Laughing
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix wrote:
I actually kind of enjoy doing the yard myself. It takes me about an hour to do the whole thing.

^this.

I'd hire someone if I hated doing it, but I like doing it and am pretty anal about how the lawn/gardens etc. are done. I'll hire the neighbourhood kid to pull weeds for sure though!
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My son is 4. As soon as he is big enough, I will fire the lawn crew and "hire" him.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do plan on having the boy do it when he is age appropriate. The guy who is mowing now is in his 70's but is in great shape, so he should be looking to stop right about the time the boy is ready to do it.

That $15 gets me mow, edge, and blow weekly. Weeds aren't a huge problem because we took the extra time to underlay all of our bark landscaped areas. Plus, weeds don't grow in a pool or on a patio. Laughing

ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
That $15 gets me mow, edge, and blow weekly. Weeds aren't a huge problem because we took the extra time to underlay all of our bark landscaped areas. Plus, weeds don't grow in a pool or on a patio. Laughing

They grow all over the grass around the pool and patio though! The pool guy is someone I'm happy to pay.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Sep 28, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swass wrote:
I have kids for this. They push a self-propelled Honda Masters Hydrostatic 5.0. Model #HR215 K1 HXA.

It is 15 years old, and it starts first pull every time...much to their annoyance. Laughing

^This!

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2015 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontrider, that's funny. It's the complete opposite for me. I see the pool service as a waste of $. But we have a salt chlorination system which makes it crazy easy to deal with the pool. Also, no leaf or nuisance dropping trees next to the pool.

About 2x a year my lawn guy asks me to leave out a bag of weed & feed so he can spread it on the lawn. Not much of a weed problem amongst the grass.

ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 29, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, stupid question time... but do you have to close your pool for the winter? I'm guessing no with your temps. But that's what our pool guy is for. Ours is covered and out of service until next spring already. I've learned very quickly how to scoop leaves out of it on my own Laughing and wouldn't pay someone to do that. We have a big elm tree that overhangs the damn thing, super-annoying but it's too nice to cut down.

I've been told the saltwater systems are super easy to maintain but also that the salt can do a number on decking/patio and your pump system if something goes wrong. haven't really looked into it that closely, but I'd like to get a timer on the pump next year.

No nuisance trees here Laughing If it wasn't closed we'd be spending the entire fall fishing leaves out of it.

Last edited by ontrider on Oct 06, 2015 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 30, 2015 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have to close it for the winter, but I have some quick "procedures" to go through when shutting it for the season. It's just minor stuff like close the main valve to the solar, and reprogram the controller for winter. The hardest thing I have to do is get up on the roof and open the drain valve to the solar to get all the water out of the panels.

As for the salt - we haven't noticed any staining or other issues. The salinity is very low - it only needs to be 2,500 to 3,000 PPM to produce chlorine. For reference, typical ocean water is about 35,000 PPM.

I can't imagine running a full manual system. Ours is not really that complicated compared to some, but it does the basic stuff like turn the system on, switch between high and low pump modes, and operate the solar when it's warm enough to do so. I know a lot of people with controllers that are far more complex. My biggest gripe about these controllers is you have to read the f*&king manual pretty thoroughly to understand how to program them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: