Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

school me on jeeps.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2015 9:06 am    Post subject: school me on jeeps. Reply with quote

i'm thinking about trading my wrx in for a new jeep wrangler. i've just started doing some research. haven't driven one since i was in high school. kbb says i can get ~$25k for my wrx on a trade so i could be close to a straight trade for a sport s with the options i want.

i wouldn't anticipate doing any real off-roading if i get one. i've just always wanted a jeep, and my warranty is up on the wrx in august so i think now is the time.

thoughts on new wranglers? websites or forums i should read while i'm deciding what i want to do?
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Apr 25, 2015 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the Jeep itself that will get you. It's all the neato sh/t you can add on after.

I know the Subie has a pretty hot aftermarket, but it still pretty easy to keep them stock.

The Jeep OTOH... I dunno I'd have to work very hard to keep myself off the interwebs so I didn't buy every farkle under the sun! So many shiny things!

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your wrx an sti?

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Apr 26, 2015 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. 2012 wrx limited 5-door.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2015 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you care about gas milage? They are terrible on gas. That said, there are few days that go by that I don't miss my jeep. There are a couple of really hot months in Houston and I still had my top down and doors off.
And yes, there are shiny things. I had the 3" lift with 33's, KC light, lockers, etc. Very Happy

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Some Airport

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2015 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of a discussion I was having yesterday "how do you like your Smittybilt winch and what led you to decide on it over the Warns that everyone has". The response was "oh, I don't know, I never intend on using it, or even taking this offroad".

I think that as long as you stick to things you ACTUALLY are going to use on your Jeep rather than "ooh shiny" they are a great buy. Unfortunately there is always temptation.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjaszkow wrote:

I think that as long as you stick to things you ACTUALLY are going to use on your Jeep rather than "ooh shiny" they are a great buy.

If that was the case everyone would be driving them completely unmodified and not-lifted on the stock steelies with street tires installed in place of any sort of "soft-road" tire.

I mean, if we are talking about things you ACTUALLY are going to use on a Jeep the aftermarket would completely die. Most of the Jeeps around here have cleaner undercarriages than my wagon, and certainly far cleaner than a lot of the Subaru Outbacks in the area.

lol do you know how long it takes to get dirt off my rimz? But ya my winch and chrome skidplates sure look cool right? Laughing

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2015 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
certainly far cleaner than a lot of the Subaru Outbacks in the area.

Haha ... I could have taken a picture that meets this exact description yesterday. Our terribly dirty (as usual) Outback parked right next to a shiny black Jeep with all the aftermarket bells and whistles.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2015 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
Do you care about gas milage?

nope. currently average 22 mpg on premium on the wrx. from what i've read the new 3.6 v6 in the JKs is more efficient than the old engines were, and don't take 93, so it will probably be close to a wash.

as far as blowing money on toys, i don't think that will be a problem for me. i'm a car guy but not a gear head. i have other hobbies that i spend my time on. i just want another fun car to drive while i can be selfish and somewhat impractical. i'd always wanted to buy myself a porsche for my 30th bday (october, yikes), but i haven't found a cayman that will hold the three bags of soccer balls and pop up goals required for my practices. it looks like that gear should fit in the back of a wrangler with the seats folded down.

what about hard top v. soft top? i was initially thinking hard, but the more i read, the more i think soft for the ease of folding down and getting air. hopefully i'll have a garage to park in by the time winter is back. thoughts on that? i'm in indiana remember.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2015 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't buy a new Jeep without a hardtop.

It's super easy to remove those front sections if you want some quick air.

It will make the Jeep easier to sell later on as well.

jjaszkow
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 27, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were you, I'd get the hardtop. Retrofitting one after the fact is expensive, and some of the wiring (defrost etc) is a bit of a pain to install. You can always buy an aftermarket soft top if you really want to ease of folding down and getting air.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2015 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion is buy an older jeep first and see if you like having one. They are loud, nothing is secure (unless you get a hard top), they ride pretty poor, they are small and generally uncomfortable, they suck on the interstate at high speeds, they are bad on gas, and the look like stuff unless you put some money into them building them up.

I bought a 97 tj 6cyl sport a few years back and built it. It was purely a second vehicle. I thought I'd drive it on nice days here and there, or if we had snow or something. I bought it for 5k and sunk about 4k into it almost immediately. The good news is a year later, when I sold it, I got 7k out of it, so not a huge loss.

Well, let me tell you, I drove it about 2 days a week for the first two months I had it. Eventually, I just got to where I did not feel like driving it anymore. Sure, a newer jeep would have been much more comfortable, but the main reason I stopped driving it was the size and how loud it was. I guess if you kept street tires on one it wouldn't have been that bad, but why buy a jeep without at least some form of aggressive rubber on it.

Anywho, I guess all I'm saying is that if you don't have a history with jeeps already, before sinking 25k+ into one, maybe you should rent one for a week or buy an older one that won't depreciate that much and try it out first.

Here are a few obligatory pics of my old TJ

jeepxx.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  54.04 KB
 Viewed:  10813 Time(s)

jeepxx1.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  53.85 KB

jeepxx2.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  48.41 KB

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2015 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current JK is not bad on the highway with the hardtop. It is (relatively) quiet, has plenty of power, and rides/drives/sounds like pretty much any body-on-frame SUV out there if it's kept stock.

I was pretty shocked driving them on the highway.

It seemed all the bad old days of CJs and YJs that were pretty poorly mannered on the highway had melted away. Of course, the JKs we drove were had stuff like power windows, keyless, etc, so they were lightyears ahead of the old days where creature comforts included a heater that worked if you were lucky, and a stereo you couldn't hear anyway. Laughing

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2015 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 4cyl 2 door Jeep back in the late 90's. Loved it, but it was so dangerous pulling my boat I had to finally let it go. I dont have a boat anymore so my next vehicle will be a JK 4 door.

Jeeps is all about give and take. the grass is always greener on the other side. You trade ride comfort for fresh air and security of having 4X4 ability. When I had the Jeep I loved having the top down on hot days. I didnt mind sweating a little. But always annoyed trying to go on dates on rainy days. Aging soft top are more "water resistant" than water proof.

IMO here are things to consider:

1. Color matched hard Top from factory (dont get that plastic not quite black hard top), then order the softtop.
2. Full Doors
3. Nothing older than 2012 to get the PentaStar
4. Rumor mill says diesel in 2016
5. If you have warranty, pay close attn to how they handle warranty stuff by following some of the fanboy sites. Some guys have had warranty voided with lifts while others have been fine.

When your confortable in your sedan, you long for the freedom of a Jeep, and when youre wet from sweat/rain in a Jeep, you will long for the comfort of a sedan.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i appreciate the input guys. thanks. jason_ssr, which fanboy sites should i be looking at? there are so many of them and so much information out there that it's almost hard to decide where to spend time doing research.
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Apr 28, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chiming in to second Chattwake.

I drove a hardtop(that had aftermarket soft top too)CJ7 for 5 years.

Loved it for 2 months each summer. Absolutly hated the soft top.

Ride was ROUGH. It would literally be tiresome to drive long distances.
I was happy to not have it as daily driver.

Could see myself having one for a toy. Not daily.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Apr 29, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pick any of them. they all cover the same stuff and many cross posts. if youre looking at a JK start at www.jk-forum.com/

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: