Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Vineyard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Apr 11, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Vineyard Reply with quote

Random question, but I figured why not take a chance in the dark with this:

Anyone in my wkbdr.com family know someone who owns a vineyard? We've begun the hellish task of wedding planning, and realizing exactly how expensive it is. We've always talked about getting married on a vineyard, but most are asking 8-10k for the venue ALONE (which means that doesn't include food, alcohol, tables, chairs, flowers, etc.). And that just can't happen.

So... on the off chance that you know someone who owns a vineyard, and you think they could MAYBE give us a deal for hosting our wedding at their venue, let me know.

Thanks all.
Blue22V
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Double Oak

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2015 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thorntonwine.com/events/weddings

I'm not sure what they can do, but they have always treated us well.
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Apr 12, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make it a destination wedding and instead of a vineyard go with an agave plantation in mexico. Fine tequila on the rocks.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your geographic restriction?

LOTS of wineries in Oregon that can be had for less than that(dependent on your expectations of the facility). I am sure you would blow more than the difference getting here though.

Bethany
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Bend

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2015 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea where you're looking or what your budget is but my best friend was just married in Sonoma at Gloria Ferrer (wedding was overlooking vineyard and reception was in the wine cave). From what I understand, the fee was the lowest in the area and reasonable given you spend a certain amout on F&B, which is pretty normal.

I will also vouch for Oregon. The Willamette Valley is fantastic and has some serious gorgeous properties, just have to pick the right time of year!

Congrats!!
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Apr 13, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JFC, yesterday we were consoling Aubs when she broke up with her HS boyfriend, now were marrying her off.

If you want to come west there are so many options. Vineyards are plentiful and prices are very competitive.

My guess is that with a limited number of vineyards on the east coast, and large population base the bride and groom are at a disadvantage.

I'd vote destination wedding, we spent $5k all in with clothes and rings and got a weeks vacation and the travel requirement filtered out all the obligation invites.

Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2015 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something tells me the ex HS boyfriend is still kicking himself.
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmballa - *sigh* I know. We have 70-80 people that we need to travel. Especially with grandparents and stuff, it is tough to have them get to destinations that require flights. Doesn't mean that those options are out the window, but definitely something we need to analyze and talk about. And we all know what happens with tequila.... Twisted Evil

Bethany - I will check that one out. We're looking at fall of next year, so vines should still be pretty good. Most (east coast at least) harvest in October, so as long as we do September/beginning of Oct. we should be okay.

jryoung - Where did you have yours? I'd want to do Europe over islands. I live in Florida! I know that beaches and blue waters are nice, but I'm just not a fan of that.

Swass - Dang right he is. You should see his wife Shocked His loss! I've found a MUCH better catch than him though. Very happy Smile
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Apr 14, 2015 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courthouse or small church wedding, save the dollars, have a blowout party and honeymoon. I haven't met anyone that spent serious $$$ on their wedding and didn't look back later with some hint of regret.
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much you spend now certainly has no bearing on how happy you'll be later. Often times, the wedding debt lasts longer than the marriage.

I know I tend to rub you the wrong way, so I hope you don't take offense to that. I'm not implying anything. Smile
eeven73

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:
Courthouse or small church wedding, save the dollars, have a blowout party and honeymoon. I haven't met anyone that spent serious $$$ on their wedding and didn't look back later with some hint of regret.

^this.

Everyone that I know that spent big $(20K plus ish) on wedding regrets it. I got married at a Microbrewery/hotel/winery compound here in oregon for not much over 5K and had a hell of a ceremony/ reception(open bar, dance floor, dinner(Not table service))

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel for you Aubs. No way could we pull off the same wedding we had again. It would cost some mind-numbingly insane numbers these days. We got lucky.

You've got direct access... go find a beach, have a small ceremony on it, then rent a nice facility/restaurant and throw a kick ass party.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Bethany
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had 75 people get down to Mexico. That said it was cheaper than a larger wedding here but wasn't anywhere near a budget destination wedding. We have ZERO regret with the money spent.
eeven73

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bethany,

How long have you lived in Bend?

Big change from SB

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those folks that spent big money or had big money spent on them for a wedding and regret it, did it wrong. Ours was around $25k. It was awesome. The booze was flowing, the food was amazing and the party was great.
The ONLY thing I did wrong was pick a wedding date in September... college football season. Totally blanked on it.

ohsix

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
Those folks that spent big money or had big money spent on them for a wedding and regret it, did it wrong. Ours was around $25k. It was awesome. The booze was flowing, the food was amazing and the party was great.
The ONLY thing I did wrong was pick a wedding date in September... college football season. Totally blanked on it.

My and my bride's parents spent big money on our wedding. I would have preferred a destination wedding and tried to convince my wife. I had offers from my father and FIL totaling $20K to elope. That would have been good with me as well. We had a hell of a party and my wife got many complements on the planning and multiple other people contacted her wanting to have a similar wedding. In hindsight, my wife says she would have been fine with a destination wedding. It was a great party, but I felt like we were the hosts. I spent most of the night shaking hands, thanking people for coming, and meeting extended family members I'll never remember. I prefer going to others' awesome weddings and regretting how much I drank the next day. My and my wife's siblings had great weddings and I enjoyed them much more.
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew - Definitely not 'church wedding' people. But as it is, we're only looking at 70ish people, which is fairly small.

Swass - I totally understand where you're coming from. I know prime examples of what you're describing.

eeven - DEFINITELY not spending 20k. What winery did you get married at in Oregon?

chavez - One problem with the beach: weather. SO many beautiful beaches down here, but on the off chance it rains, then you're stuck in an ugly venue (and with frizzy hair!)

Bethany - Pictures from your wedding were gorgeous. Looked like a great time! Smile

goofy - Not looking to spend more than 10k. Well, let me rephrase. I REFUSE to spend more than 10k. We're looking fall as well, but a Friday night. Still some college football, but not nearly as much as a Saturday.

ohsix - I would love to do destination. But, not sure our direct family members could afford to fly out next year for it. If destination, I want France or Italy. Not an island in the Caribbean.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We got married in Playa Del Carmen, we booked the trip and when we arrived it took us about 30 minutes to make our final decisions (restaurant, flowers, location) so low key it was great.

Not sure about what would be available in Europe.

eeven73

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the Edgefield.

Mcmenamins.com

Mcmenamins is an outfit that restores historic properties in Oregon an Wash.

Edgefield is a brewery/hotel/restaurants/par3golfcourse/microdistillery/winerythat the made out of the Multnomah county poor farm. Really cool place.

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Apr 15, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have very little to add... But destination to Caribbean is probably FAR CHEAPER for family, than destination in Europe. If destination is on the table, assume Europe is double the price + wedding where most Caribbean will "comp" the wedding.(relative). Talking high end AI resorts.

Done this a few times, both AWESOME!!! (Neither destination, but maybe would have now second guess, at least one) Have fun!

Qualify, I have not priced Europe vs Caribbean weddings, just rolling what vacation from here, which airfare would probably be a bit different(same cab, less Europe). Stand by Europe is FAR MORE EXPENSIVE and that's with the EURO being at where it is vs the dollar(no better time to book, buy).
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2015 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since this has went from vineyard hookup to unsolicited wedding advice, I'll throw my hat into the ring:
We eloped to Jamaica and had a beer/bbq reception upon our return, however, the coolest wedding I have ever been to was at a winery in Fredricksburg, TX.
It was elegant, but at the same time comfortable.

A couple of things that were memorable:

They had a washtub of cold beer that they sat out BEFORE the ceremony, so everyone had a cold pop as we watched the ceremony. (love is patent, love is kind... man, this Shiner is cold)

They had assigned seating where, upon entering the venue, you received a table/seat number. They had grouped their guests according to age and association, so we sat with people our age that were the bride and groom's college friends. It worked out better than scrambling for an open seat and getting stuck beside grandma.

The food was home-style and they brought out fried chicken and mashed potatoes, etc... which you passed around your table. It gave a sense of family vs. a buffet or waiters bringing individual servings.

If I were prioritizing, it would be booze, band, food in that order, with venue being a distant 4th. If you do the first 3 properly, nobody will care where it occurs.

Congrats on your engagement!

RIP M.H.Legge
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2015 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rampage - Booze is definitely at the top of our list, hence why we wanted a vineyard. Kinda get the venue and the great wine together. LOVE the idea of a cocktail before the ceremony. Might as well start the party the moment people get there. Will definitely put that down on the To Do list.

EJ - I guess we could look at the islands. Just not what we want. I'm happy to do that, but then it's doing the wedding for everyone else, and not for us. Other people have suggested that as well.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Apr 16, 2015 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ I am NOT about doing wedding for ANYONE ELSE, Aubs. Do what you want, it's your day. That said, it's one day....and I'm sure it will be awesome whatever you do. Wedding are like that, you're with people you love, celebrating ect. It's easy to win in the situation.

Have fun & enjoy this. If you find yourself getting stressed out, you're worrying about more than you should.
Bethany
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 17, 2015 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the beauty of a destination wedding, it is more than just one day. I remember very little about our actual wedding (could have been the tequila, j/k), more about the week we shared with all of our closest family and friends. There will never be another time in our life that we will have a vacation with ALL of those people. Very Happy
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2015 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just got married here on the beach in Clearwater in December. We ended up paying ~$16k for everything (venues, rings, dress/suit, cake, invitations, etc) with ~60 guests. Then we spent ~$5k for everyone to attend the Packers/Buccaneers game the next day. Still no regrets Laughing except for paying for everyone's game ticket (half of our guests left early to catch flights and a few guests got kicked out).

I know a few people are talking about keeping it around $5k but I am a very frugal person, and I think wedding costs are rising faster than college tuition rates and you are going to be extremely hard-pressed to keep it under $10k for 70 guests.

Now for my snotty nosey question... why did you move from New England to Florida when you prefer vineyards over beaches? Laughing
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Apr 18, 2015 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faust - Didn't know I liked wine until about 3 years ago. Always hated it; then, just had to try the right one I guess. Also, S Fla does NOT have snow. And that my friend... is all that matters!

Not looking to stay in FL forever. Another two years or so maybe. But for now, I'm going to enjoy my time snow-free Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: