Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

New Zealand Riding?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sickwake

City: Vancouver

PostPosted: Aug 04, 2015 11:01 am    Post subject: New Zealand Riding?! Reply with quote

I'm a rider from BC Canada and looking to train for 2+ months in New Zealand (Nov-Dec) and like to ask if you have much info about the wake scene out there? Tips on where to go/be?

If there are good contacts to get in touch with that would be super appreciated.

Even a possible wake/coach/driver job at a school or something along those lines would be sweet to pay the bills and stay longer. Been riding for over 10 years with competitive experience.

And any must do adventures. Im def not a touristy person haha.

Thanks so much everyone! Very Happy
JoshNZ

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2015 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll chime in with my limited knowledge, since no one else has! I'm from NZ and have been in Canada the last year or so. I think I can say with certainty our scene here is not quite what yours is over there. I've been riding behind a friends Nautique 2001 over there, I came home excited to find a project boat myself. Much to my disgust there's about a tenth as many available, for about 5x the price Shocked

That said... If you're in the North Island, Rotorua or Taupo is where you want to be. If you're in the South Island, Queenstown/Wanaka is where you want to be. I don't actually know of any schools myself but there are the odd few, I know there is a cable park in Taupo (a little way south of Rotorua) called Anarchy Boarding Park, I bet you they have guys hanging around that would point you in the right direction (both cable and boat). You will fly into Auckland and it will be on your way to wherever else you're driving anyway!

Good luck and hope you enjoy your trip!
sickwake

City: Vancouver

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2015 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHeers thanks so much. Ive touch based with a couple people over there. The Canada scene is quite small too. Bigger in Ontario but very quite everywhere else. I just really want to go to NZ and live there for a while. Wakeboarding seems like its growing there as well!
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sep 22, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you looked at wakescout.com? They list schools and camps and cables, plus I think you can look for other riders at any location.
JoshNZ

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2015 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakeboarding has grown in NZ but only as far as everybody having one on board, with a bunch of weekend hackers riding it haha. I've never seen anybody else do any kind of flip or rotation, on any other boat, on any lake! I'm sure there are able riders out there but my point is they are scarce.

So be prepared to be teaching kids how to get up, rather than intermediate riders how to get on top of their Whirlybirds more cleanly Razz. You'll have fun either way. NZ and Canadians seem to regard each other as pleasant people and hence are really nice to each other.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: