Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Living in the country
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment was for building a "stick-built" or modular house, without the moving in from the town factor.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
Tracktor
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Vancouver, WA

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
If you think that modern day homeschooling removes societal interaction maybe you should educate yourself some before commenting? Home school co-ops are extremely popular nowadays.............

Do you think that "co-ops" can replicate the interactions and societal development gained in a traditional public school?

I always find this an amusing discussion when talking with people who have absolutely no experience with homeschooling yet question it like experts?
To answer your rhetorical question, yes & no. It seems that the "quality" of kid is usually better in these situations as the parents actually care about the child's education. The usual snarky response will be "How will they learn to deal with adverse social situations?" My answer is- That's the parents job, not the schools job..I have had my two boys attend a couple different public schools and for the life of me cannot understand why anyone would make an effort to replicate the social format seen in them? Unless you are trying to bring up little bigoted zombies which is your right I guess..................I haven't yet seen any bullying at any of the homeschool co-ops any of my kids have attended. Yet both my boys have been suspended this year for defending either themselves or others against bullies. Some great societal interaction right there!.............
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I have no experience with anything to do with primary education. None whatsoever.

Here, I've got something for you.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave1 wrote:
My parent's live out in the country in a modular home. If you have any specific questions I could probably ask my dad them.

Cool.

Some questions in my mind are:

1. How efficient does it seem, energy wise?
2. Does it feel like you're in a trailer or like you're in like an old house with a crawl space under it?
3. Does it seem more noisy (sound insulation) than standard construction?

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've looked at a couple of the modular builder websites, specifically those that are local or regional. Seems to me the modulars are pretty solid and well built. I'm sure there is a feel inside that is a bit different than standard construction.

Here's one of them:

http://www.palmharbor.com/model-center/oklahomacity/#.VJNKy8kebcs

To answer your specific question bambamski, my motivation would be primarily cost. We can get a lot more for our money with land and a modular versus land and standard construction. We aren't selling a house in the city, so the equity thought you have doesn't come into play. Another thought for us is that we would live in what we buy until the kids are grown and gone, then maybe construct something different on site, or find a different piece of property to build on.

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get the actual dollar cost, apples to apples. You can see that figure up front at the time of purchase. I think what people kind of forget is the additional costs of living in the country.

I think everyone I know that moved out to the country have all bought the riding lawn mower, most of them also bought a small tractor, there's the side by side, maybe a quad ect ect.

The extra driving (time), gas costs, wear and tear on the cars. Instead of a new car every 5-6 years maybe, that might turn into 3-4 years. Insurance can cost extra, both home and car. There are a lot of things that people don't factor in when moving outside of town.

Sometimes people don't put a dollar value on their time but living out of town and commuting into work can sometimes increase drive times buy 2-4 hours per week. 4 hours times, even 25 bucks an hour is 5k a year.

What a buddy of mine told me that moved back into the city summed it up best. If you move out of town it should be for a lifestyle change, not for financial reasons.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, those are all good points. To me, this is more about the lifestyle and not cost, per se. But, if things work out as planned, my wife will move to one of the schools closer to where we move and the only "cost" from a getting to work standpoint is about 20 minutes of my time. There is definitely the cost factor in regards to the purchase. One of the places we are kind of looking at would probably be twice the price if we stayed just on the outskirts of town where we're at now.
Tracktor
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
Yes, I have no experience with anything to do with primary education. None whatsoever.

Here, I've got something for you.

And how much direct experience with homeschooling which is what we were discussing?..............Let me guess, your wife is a teacher?..............
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^Are you REALLY guessing, bad poker face... Confused

Like saying does E.J. talk about his pups, does Jt like CFB & cooking, is 06 building a house, does Aubs take a fine beach selfie, does Swass have a clean garage, does JRY kill large animals with UW colored firearms....ect.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2014 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been casually looking at properties online and have one that is of interest. It has a Palm Harbor brand home set on a foundation, big shop, pond and creek, nicely wooded property with some areas cleared out, 10 acres, about 20 miles from where we live now. Definitely seems like the type of place we are looking for. We're actually going to look at it tomorrow to get a feel of the drive, the area, layout of a place like that and what the house is like.
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski wrote:
Sometimes people don't put a dollar value on their time but living out of town and commuting into work can sometimes increase drive times buy 2-4 hours per week. 4 hours times, even 25 bucks an hour is 5k a year.

I recently moved into a new house 5 minutes from my office. My old house was still in the city, but 20 minutes from my office. I save 30 minutes a day on my commute ~220 days/year. That's 110 productive hours each year that I will no longer be spending driving to and from work. If you sleep 8 hours per day, that's like getting a free 9.2 days per year of productive time. The math goes the other way if you add 15 minutes to your commute each way.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Dec 19, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i moved from a 15 minute drive to work to a 2 minute walk to work: more sleep and less gas.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live 30 minutes from my work in San Antonio and five minutes from town (boerne). We live on 4 acres and I love it but it is a lot of work, but I guess that depends on the land you buy and the landscaping you have. Our house is on about one acre of 8 foot fenced in (to keep the deer out) flatish land on top of a hill, with the remaining 3 acres being a hill with tons of trees. The previous owners were retired and loved to garden...so the one acre is really nice but requires tons of maintenance to keep it looking nice. I have to spend several hours each week just to get bye both around the house tending to the yard and garden and also with the chain saw on "jakes hill" (i guess my son claimed the hill). I could change things up a little and make things a little easier but I enjoy taking care of the land.

I already have many ideas for jakes hill...paint ball, zip line!

I really enjoy the feeling of being able to do whatever i want on my land and not having to worry about anyone spying on me or having to deal with city ordinances.

Not sure if 5 minutes from town qualifies as living in the country Smile, but it feels plenty issolated enough for me, while at the same time being closer to town then most city folk.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 20, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the areas we are looking at would be fairly heavily wooded, so mowing would be minimal. Trimming and brush hogging would definitely be more of the type of work we'd have. The one place we are interested in has had a couple acres cleared around the house and lot of things cleaned up, so it would be a bit more of a mow situation. Here is an aerial of that place.

Just fresh new properties tend to be fully wooded or at least mostly wooded. This is a property for sale. Obviously, it would take some work to get a house in there and get some area cleared around the house. Then it would be years of trimming and cutting to thin out to what we'd want. The plus side of that is we could generate a lot of our own firewood. Smile

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 22, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one place was pretty nice..definitely a piece of property that's been well refined. After being in the modular and getting the feel of it, we're not sure about that concept. In what we've read, it seems like, at best, value would be flat. We're leaning back towards resale "Stick built" or building.

A couple items that haven't been covered...

Any thoughts on septic...aerobic versus non-aerobic?

Utility to house...all electric? Electric + propane?

RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any thoughts on septic...aerobic versus non-aerobic?

I have an anaerobic system at both my primary residence (3 ac) in the burbs and at my weekend house in the country. I was going to switch to aerobic at my house but instead, I separated my clothes washer out to irrigate my yard. The lint from the washer was the only thing that gave us problems when it went to the septic lines. If your local code allows it, I'd choose anaerobic, as you must maintain an annual service contract with a licensed installer if you use aerobic. ($10/20 per month here in TX).

RIP M.H.Legge
dirtysparks
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I separated my clothes washer out to irrigate my yard

Would be interested in hearing how you did this.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All you would have to do is make a hole in exterior wall and extend piping to whatever vessel you choose.

You may run afoul of whomever regulates water in your area. Phosphates are of concern.

RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
All you would have to do is make a hole in exterior wall and extend piping to whatever vessel you choose.

You may run afoul of whomever regulates water in your area. Phosphates are of concern.

Essentially, this. I did not use a holding vessel/pump, opting instead to plumb it into 3" perforated pipe I buried around the perimeter of my slab. This helps to keep my slab from moving when we get these Texas droughts. Looking at the code, it appears I am supposed to have a back flow preventer and maybe a holding tank, etc... but it's only my clothes washer hooked to it, and its been this way for 10+ years no problems so my give-a-fcuk-o-meter says its fine the way it is. http://www.thegreywaterguide.com/texas.html

IMG_0282.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  224.81 KB
 Viewed:  14248 Time(s)

RIP M.H.Legge
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 23, 2014 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple pictures of properties we looked at Sunday. Both of these are 5 acres total, in a little different areas out where we are looking. It seems like we can probably find a fairly wooded lot, in that size, for the price we want to pay.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2014 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have experience doing concrete floors versus tile, carpet or wood?
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Dec 24, 2014 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You also might look at doing a metal building house know as a barndominium here. My river house was built this way it is quite a bit cheaper than stick and bricks.

http://www.whirlwindsteel.com/pub/residential-steel-buildings

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 19, 2015 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
Here are a couple pictures of properties we looked at Sunday. Both of these are 5 acres total, in a little different areas out where we are looking. It seems like we can probably find a fairly wooded lot, in that size, for the price we want to pay.

So, turns out the 2nd property and another one north of it have flood zone on the property. I'm not going to deal with that. We went to look at the first property in these pics again, and got a chance to talk to the closest neighbor. It sounds like it is a nice quiet area and it has about 11 houses on an 80 acre area right now. Several people have multiple lots totaling 5-10 acres, so it will probably only end up being about 13-14 houses back in there, on about a 1/2 mile dead end road. The property to the east is about 80 acres owned privately another property like that further east. Seems like the best one we've seen so far and we may end up pulling the trigger. The neighbor said the area is nice and quiet, land seems to perc well, neighbors are all real nice, electric is reasonably priced and there is plenty of wildlife around. The river back behind the area has a big swimming hole that a lot of people use and some four wheeler trails.

vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2015 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do a LOT of floodplain mitigation. I wouldn't worry about the flood plain issue too much if it is not where your house pad is going just make sure the Finished Floor elevation is 18" above the nearest flood plain.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2015 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like our guidelines out here are such that if I am including the property in the loan, flood insurance is required if the flood zone extends on the property at all. I think we like this other property better, even though it is smaller, due to area, surroundings and the way the lot is laid out. So, even without the flood issue, we feel like it is the better property for us.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cool. Just FYI if you house is 18" or greater out of the flood plain flood insurance is only $300 or so a year.
Tracktor
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2015 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
Sounds like our guidelines out here are such that if I am including the property in the loan, flood insurance is required if the flood zone extends on the property at all. I think we like this other property better, even though it is smaller, due to area, surroundings and the way the lot is laid out. So, even without the flood issue, we feel like it is the better property for us.

Not true from my experience. As long as all insured structures are above the flood plain flood insurance isn't required by Fannie/Freddie. I can pull the guideline from the selling guide. However, you will have to have the elevation certified & possibly the FEMA map addended...................
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: