Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Living in the country
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Living in the country Reply with quote

I'm sure there are at least a few of you that live out in the country. Our goal is to do the same within the next 6-18 months, depending upon what we can work out. What are some things that you would suggest considering, lessons learned, etc after living in the country for a while? I'm wanting to ensure I get some feedback from folks that have done it to see if there were things they overlooked prior to making the move and if there are things they would have done differently.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
LFADAM
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New York City

PostPosted: Dec 14, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The grocery store is 30 mins away. Shop wisely.

Snowplowing. Does it happen on the rural roads near you? Can you get out of your driveway after a storm?

When the power goes out, what do you do? Generators are great but you could still be totally isolated for days. Plan accordingly.
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2014 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Overall cost of living will go up due to the need for more and bigger equipment and tools.

Be sure to spend the money to ensure the best water quality possible. We have some iron in ours (unavoidable where we are located) so that required additional filtration (more cost).

Between our 1,000' driveway and an additional 200' to the storage buildings, it takes a while to clear snow. This also requires more equipment ($$). Every 5 years or so we bring in gravel to resurface the main driveway, that runs about $1k.

911 response time should be considered as well. The county we live in went through and gave names to all county and township roads along with addresses to all residences some years back. Check to see if your area has done this.

Our property is about 7 miles from the city limits but is still quite secluded (however, the city has a population of only 55k). Our nearest neighbor is about 1,500 feet away through the woods.

The power goes out on us maybe once or twice a year. We do have a decent sized backup generator for prolonged outages. I normally keep the boat's fuel tank topped off so the byproduct of that is having a 32 gallon reserve for the generator if need be.

We are able to heat the house with wood on a continuous basis even without electricity. That is reassuring. We have about a 2-3 year supply of firewood that is cut/split/stacked with plenty more trees that could be converted to firewood.

The township road between our driveway and the highway is 0.6 miles of gravel. Our vehicles are rarely shiny clean.

On the flip side, the shooting range in our backyard is nice to have. There is a small river across the road from our driveway which provides lots of opportunities for recreation. In most cases, I can take a piss off of the deck if I feel the need. But best of all, no frickin' neighbors.
ohsix

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder, your kids are home-schooled, correct? Living in the country will give them less opportunity to interact with other kids than a cookie cutter neighborhood may provide. That may be you and your wife's goal, but I think social development of kids is as important as education.

I went to a smallish (graduated in a class of 55) private school, but interacted with neighborhood kids who went to larger public schools. I don't feel like the quality of my high school education was much better than the kids who took the most advanced classes at the local public high schools, but when I went to a state university with ~44,000 students, I could see a glaring difference in my social development compared to the kids who went to larger high schools. I'm sure my personality has something to do with that, but I went to school with the same kids, plus or minus a few each year for 8 years. I never really had to make new friends and experienced a pretty small cross-section of society. I was a little shocked when I got to college at the diversity of the student population and wasn't as confident and outgoing as most college freshman. Overall, I had a great college experience, but I feel like it could have been so much better if I went in with a broader view of the world and more social development.

Because of my experience, I encourage my oldest son (almost 3) to meet other kids in our neighborhood and I would prefer for him to attend public schools after 6th grade.

All of this is tangential to your questions of living in the country, but I think social development of kids comes mostly from 2 places being school and hanging with other kids in the neighborhood.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in the country, not way out, and worry about this^ with my kids. They are involved in alot of activities so that lessens my concern somewhat.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info and a couple good ones I hadn't thought about.

wakeboarderdave1, LOL!

ohsix, no, they aren't home-schooled.

Tracktor
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Vancouver, WA

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2014 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish6942 wrote:
Overall cost of living will go up due to the need for more and bigger equipment and tools.

Be sure to spend the money to ensure the best water quality possible. We have some iron in ours (unavoidable where we are located) so that required additional filtration (more cost).

Between our 1,000' driveway and an additional 200' to the storage buildings, it takes a while to clear snow. This also requires more equipment ($$). Every 5 years or so we bring in gravel to resurface the main driveway, that runs about $1k.

911 response time should be considered as well. The county we live in went through and gave names to all county and township roads along with addresses to all residences some years back. Check to see if your area has done this.

Our property is about 7 miles from the city limits but is still quite secluded (however, the city has a population of only 55k). Our nearest neighbor is about 1,500 feet away through the woods.

The power goes out on us maybe once or twice a year. We do have a decent sized backup generator for prolonged outages. I normally keep the boat's fuel tank topped off so the byproduct of that is having a 32 gallon reserve for the generator if need be.

We are able to heat the house with wood on a continuous basis even without electricity. That is reassuring. We have about a 2-3 year supply of firewood that is cut/split/stacked with plenty more trees that could be converted to firewood.

The township road between our driveway and the highway is 0.6 miles of gravel. Our vehicles are rarely shiny clean.

On the flip side, the shooting range in our backyard is nice to have. There is a small river across the road from our driveway which provides lots of opportunities for recreation. In most cases, I can take a piss off of the deck if I feel the need. But best of all, no frickin' neighbors.

Thanks for typing my reply for me! That covers it pretty well. My worst nightmare is having to move into town. MX right out the front door & lakes 15 minutes away? Epic! Not having to interact with the unwashed masses everyday? PRICELESS!......

As for the homeschool socialization thing, it's pretty much utter BS. Weird parents have weird kids homeschool or not. If you are a "normally" social person and homeschooling, your kids will be pretty normal also. If you are an introverted weirdo and your kids go to public schools they probably won't have great social skills. We have done/do both and see it all....
Faust
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't worry so much about the societal affects on your kids. I lived in low-middle class part of the city from ages 0 to 8. Middle class suburb in the 'country' (surrounded by farms) ages 9 to 18. When I look at old classmates on Facebook from both locations and reflect, it doesn't really matter where they were raised - the smart and somewhat ambitious ones got out there and now have homes, families, and successful careers. The rest are still living at home either unemployed or complaining about life.

Back to the op... My memories of living in the country
Pros
Really bright starlit nights
watching storms
Safe
Lots of wildlife and trees/plants
Lots of room to play and run right out the back door

Cons
Mowing
Shoveling
Landscaping
Riding my bike real far to see the same handful of friends
ohsix

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2014 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:

Okay. Not sure why I thought that.

Tracktor wrote:
As for the homeschool socialization thing, it's pretty much utter BS. Weird parents have weird kids homeschool or not. If you are a "normally" social person and homeschooling, your kids will be pretty normal also. If you are an introverted weirdo and your kids go to public schools they probably won't have great social skills. We have done/do both and see it all....

I have a hard time believing that a kid will have the same social development if you remove the majority of their social interaction by homeschooling them. I can see why homeschooling parents refuse to believe the potential disadvantage though.
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Dec 15, 2014 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldnt even call it a town but Lanexa has ~5000 people lol. Even if you dont have a whole house backup generator, atleast wire up a smaller one to run essentials (fridge, oven, some lights)fish6942 pretty much covered everything... That and watch out for wierd hillbillies Mr. Green
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we'll be one of the weird hillbillies...LOL!

Any thoughts on mobile or modular homes? Obviously, many rural properties will have that type of structure versus stick built.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder, let me just say that you really, and I mean really should weigh the pros and cons that come with your newly added workload that will come with living out in the "country". You better be really ok with the extra upkeep and it's impact on your time, finances, and more importantly, your downtime.

We seriously considered buying a home in the "country" here. As in, we were actively looking at them. When I started to talk to those I know who live in the "country" and had done so for quite some time, it didn't take long to cross it off my lists. It's just not for everyone, and my guess is a lot of people figure that out the hard (and expen$ive) way.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed and I fully understand. I grew up in a bit more rural situation and know what it takes...it fits me well and I would be good with what it takes. Were there items people shared with you that haven't already been mentioned in this thread?

Last edited by Okie Boarder on Dec 16, 2014 10:30 am; edited 1 time in total
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is certainly a time component that needs to be taken into account and weighed against your intended lifestyle. For us, we're not much into sitting in front of the TV (not even for sports Shocked ) and would much prefer to be out doing something. Our youngest started hunting last fall including along the creek bed on the back end of our property. While he didn't get any shots off, it was fun seeing him take on that extra responsibility. We bought ourselves snowshoes for Christmas and as soon as we get enough snow accumulation, we'll be trekking the frozen river watching the Bald Eagles and other wildlife.

Yeah it sucks spending 1.5 hours blowing snow or 2.5 hours mowing the lawn but for us it's worth it.

Okie - We stick built the house in '08. We have no plans of ever moving and never considered any modular options. Besides, we needed more square footage than those could offer. Also, I don't believe modular homes appreciate in value but I could be wrong.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish6942, we're the same way. Our boys love being outside and whenever we visit the grandparents, they're all about being out and about. I love doing projects, working in the yard, and taking care of things myself.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would concur on upkeep. If the expectation is well manicured and you have acres, be prepared to pay for help. I get the place spruced up and sure enough there is a wind storm and branches everywhere, weeds are a constant fight...........
Tracktor
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Vancouver, WA

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix wrote:
Okie Boarder wrote:

Okay. Not sure why I thought that.

Tracktor wrote:

I have a hard time believing that a kid will have the same social development if you remove the majority of their social interaction by homeschooling them. I can see why homeschooling parents refuse to believe the potential disadvantage though.

Believe what you want? I am just stating experiences from what I have seen since we have a mix in our family. I will say the ratio of socially awkward kids is higher in homeschoolers & the ratio of ill-behaved mis directed kids is higher at public schools.............If you think that modern day homeschooling removes societal interaction maybe you should educate yourself some before commenting? Home school co-ops are extremely popular nowadays.............
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
Any thoughts on mobile or modular homes?

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 16, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick build don't always fare much better.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But mobile homes a magnet for tornado's.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myth.
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2014 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is "Modular Home" to "Trailer" what "TarJay" is to "Target"?

RIP M.H.Legge
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tracktor wrote:
If you think that modern day homeschooling removes societal interaction maybe you should educate yourself some before commenting? Home school co-ops are extremely popular nowadays.............

Do you think that "co-ops" can replicate the interactions and societal development gained in a traditional public school?

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RampageWake wrote:
Is "Modular Home" to "Trailer" what "TarJay" is to "Target"?

I think that would depend on who you ask and what type of "trailer" you're talking about.

vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience a stick built house on land will appreciate over time. With a trailer house on land, the land will appreciate over time while the trailer will depreciate over time. If it comes in on a metal frame and stays on a metal frame when installed it is a trailer. If it is a true modular where you remove the metal frame and cannot tell the difference between it and a block and base built house then that is a different story.

Don't buy a trailer seriously.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One listing we've looked at casually is truly a modular...was build at a factory, transported to the property on a flatbed and placed onto a slab. Obviously lots of listings in the country will be trailers, some modular and some stick built. Just curious if anyone has experience with the various options.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
Tracktor wrote:
If you think that modern day homeschooling removes societal interaction maybe you should educate yourself some before commenting? Home school co-ops are extremely popular nowadays.............

Do you think that "co-ops" can replicate the interactions and societal development gained in a traditional public school?

Yeah, what most of us remember as "homeschool" is basically dead. No more social awkwardness due to lack of exposure. Its basically run like a college where classes are ala-carte. Nobody really sits at home at the dinner table working through course worksheets with their mom looking over their shoulder from 8a to 3p every day like we remember homeschool kids. Not only that, the teachers they get are often retired or moonlighting college professors.

In some areas the athletic program is extremely competitive, much like the "private schools" of the northeast.

That being said, modern homeschool is NOT cheap.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

id call it "mobile home" = trailer
"Modular home"= comes in on trucks from factory as pre-fabbed walls

there was a guy up the street from us that bought a Tree Farm (no home on property). The dude lived in a tent for a month while his modular home was delivered and built, pretty impressive actually

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 17, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that seems to be the definition here, too. Most of the modular homes seem to be two to four sections brought in and set on some sort of foundation. Mobiles (trailers) are just towed in and set on jacks or a stem wall, with frame and possible hitch section still attached. Modulars can still be rectangular and look much like mobile (trailer) set ups, but it seems the construction and final placement are quite different.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr wrote:
Yeah, what most of us remember as "homeschool" is basically dead. No more social awkwardness due to lack of exposure.

So you think that interacting (even if it's just a passing glance in a hallway) with maybe a few dozen people on a daily basis is akin to dealing with a few hundred?

In any event, my question was obviously rhetorical.

I'd compare a modern homeschool (social) situation to a country school where there is a very small student population. It has gotten better, but in most situations it isn't a replacement for a typical size traditional (public or private) school.

As far as athletics - what I've seen around here is the trend towards "club ball" instead of interscholastic. Pretty much all sports with a couple of exceptions (most notably, football) seem to be trending this way.

wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parent's live out in the country in a modular home. If you have any specific questions I could probably ask my dad them.

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just have to ask if you live in a "house", built on a foundation "stick built", isn't going mobile home or modular home a step backwards?

Our best friends have a lake cabin that's a modular home, it came in three large pieces and was fitted together on site. It's a big place probably 2400 square feet. You can totally still tell that it's fit together with three separate buildings. It just feels cheaper, it's not as well built. Even if you spent the money and finished it like a higher end home, why would you? Why wouldn't you just spend the money and build the home on sight?

For a summer place it's one thing, but for your primary residence I don't understand why you wouldn't "stick" build your home.

Now that my kids are pretty much out of the house I'd maybe consider moving out of town. We have lots of friends that live on acreages and it just seems like a lot of work. At this point in my life I'm looking at things getting easier, not more work... Maybe in 15 years when I have nothing to do but fart around all day it might appeal more? With kids though, like I said seems like more work than I'm willing to do at this point...

wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski wrote:
For a summer place it's one thing, but for your primary residence I don't understand why you wouldn't "stick" build your home.

Cost.

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Dec 18, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave

that's a fair statement. Although if you're moving out of a town/city from a "stick" built house, I would think you could sell your house in town for at least what you'd pay for your acreage?

Where I live it might be different. A house close to the downtown area, lets say 1800 square feet will run you 1.2 million. For 1.2 million out of town you get 15-20 acres and 4000 square feet. In the burbs 2000 square feet will run you 550-800k, which would get you probably a similar house but 5-10 acres.

Just saying if you sell your house in town, you should be able to get the same house plus far more land at the same price? Is that a fair statement.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: