Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Small SUV recommendations?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Small SUV recommendations? Reply with quote

Coles notes... wife's car got totalled by a drunk, while it was parked on our street. I know there are some car people here who will have a lot of ideas... does anyone have any recommendations on a decent small or mid-size SUV? Looking for something used that will be okay on gas. Mostly for commuting but we also need cargo space, Hoping for something not too old with not a ton of miles on it. Budget is probably around $12-$15K. Options?
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toyota Rav 4. BIL has one and he likes it.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife had a jeep. She really loved that car. then gave it to her nephew that ended up putting close to 200K miles on it. It ran like a champ no major issues.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ford Edge, gf has an 07 one at 86k it hasnt needed anything except a battery. If i personally had to pick itd be a Trailblazer SS which i dont know if its in your price range depending on your location.
rowlex
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: seattle

PostPosted: Dec 01, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked up an infiniti fx35. I like it, not a ton of room though. It is AWD.

main reason i went with it is that nissan/infiniti use the same engine in everything. murano, altima, maxima, g35, 350z, pathfiner, and a few more infiniti vehicles.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2014 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FX cool, mpg will suffer. Same with some of the other suggestions (Edge, Jeep, TB SS).

So, with MPG in mind:

Raviolis are decent. So are CR-Vs. Lots and lots of Ford Escapes from the previous generation running around. These should all fall in or under budget.

But, If you can swing it, the CX-5 is an excellent little crossover. If those are too pricey, your best bet might be a Subie Forester (non-XT).

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the ideas.
I'm still waiting to hear from insurance on $$ and am open to spending a little more to hold off having to buy another car for awhile. CX5's look nice but not sure how much room they really have? Not a huge fan of the Rav4's. The car that got smashed and is being replaced is a Scooby Doo Forrester
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Forester, Outback, or CR-V are going to be the best for space + MPG.

The CX-5 isn't huge, nor is it's cousin the Escape. I would say they are just OK in that department - similar space to something like the Impreza hatch.

rowlex
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: seattle

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2014 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is def. less space in my fx35 then the subaru forrester.

MPG is not great, i figured it fit in with the jeep categories others mentioned. I get a solid 18 in town, and 22 on the hwy.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We already have an Escape and it's got more room than the Forester. The more I look at the options I think we may just try to get another Subaru. The mpg isn't too bad and there is a decent amount of space for that size vehicle.

Just got word that the car is a write off... (not surprised) So the bigger issue now will be talking to insurance tomorrow and trying to get a fair settlement offer out of them. Do you guys have any tips in that regard besides researching prices on AutoTrader? We also just had new tires put on a week before it got hit. PITA
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ontrider, not feeling the Outback? Those have more trunk depth/cargo space than the Foresters, around the same ground clearance, sit about as high, has bigger gas tank, similar MPG, etc. Seems like the better choice of the two. Just saying.

As for your insurance, definitely check the book values (KBB/NADA) and what they are going for around your area. You don't have to just accept their offer. Also, can you not get the tires off the wrecked car? Or were they trashed in the wreck?

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it was brought up, for the record, love our Outback. Can fit a couple good sized suitcases, a big hockey bag, small cooler and various other junk in the cargo area.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Dec 02, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
ontrider, not feeling the Outback? Those have more trunk depth/cargo space than the Foresters, around the same ground clearance, sit about as high, has bigger gas tank, similar MPG, etc. Seems like the better choice of the two. Just saying.

As for your insurance, definitely check the book values (KBB/NADA) and what they are going for around your area. You don't have to just accept their offer. Also, can you not get the tires off the wrecked car? Or were they trashed in the wreck?

I hear you, but if she says "The outback is ugly" - that's the end of the discussion. Laughing

I've gotta talk to the claims adjuster about the tires... I'm sure they make money on the salvaged parts... so IMO it should be applied to a settlement value if they are keeping them / re-selling them.

I've got a bunch of similar prices from dealers and Autotrader. Definetly not going to accept anything right away. i want a copy of their appraisal report. If it's low I will just ask them to supply me a list of 3 places I can get a replacement at the value they're offering. Should be fun... Mad
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Dec 03, 2014 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buncha lesbians in this thread with Subaru's. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: