Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Net Neutrality

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Net Neutrality Reply with quote

Libs= Great news unfettered access to all aspects of internet for everyone! No corporate "throttling" of websites.

Cons= More government intrusion in the free market. Regulators will F the dog on this and make it a beauracratic nightmare.

I am all for the unfettered access part but, also really don't think a gov't agency is going to add any value in fact quite the opposite.

What should I believe?

DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that the telecom industry is a good example of a "free market" per-se...

I think ultimately access trumps the downsides of more regulation provided that it's done correctly. I think the FCC has a lot of freedom to do what they want right now- even if they fail the big political black eye will fall on the Obama administration now.

eeven73

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm not sure that the telecom industry is a good example of a "free market" per-se...

That is the point of the Cons in my post. The gov't is going to turn the internet into the highly regulated telecom industry.

RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as I can't stand Washington/BHO, I gotta take my chances with gov't vs Comcast on this issue. Painful.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/7/15/5901057/comcast-call-cancel-service-ryan-block

RIP M.H.Legge
DRAGON88
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Portland, OR

PostPosted: Nov 11, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:

That is the point of the Cons in my post. The gov't is going to turn the internet into the highly regulated telecom industry.

The golden age of the "unregulated" telecom industry was maybe great for the industry- but not so much for the consumers (price fixing and collusion galore).

IMO if net neutrality is implemented and regulated well, then it will be a good thing. If its too iron-fisted that would obviously be a bad thing. It's hard to really know until the FCC proposes rules. Like anything, the devil is in the details.

Lastly, I don't think there's anything inherently non-free market about establishing standards for how ISP's treat packets of data. If the concern is that too much data is being used, start charging customers per gb. To push the argument to an extreme, should Comcast be able to slow down connection speeds drastically on all articles criticizing Comcast? Should Comcast add a monthly surcharge for customers who watch Netflix (within their data caps)?

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DRAGON88, way too much faith in the government...
eeven73

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2014 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I too HATE comcast. They screwed with me big over glitchy cable service where I used to live. I yell at the business comcast salesperson whenever he comes around to try and sell business service. He swears they are a different operation than home service. I DON'T care. Evil or Very Mad

I totally understand the points and counterpoints coming exactly to the "devil in the details" conclusion as well.

ohsix

PostPosted: Nov 12, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
Oh, I too HATE comcast. They screwed with me big over glitchy cable service where I used to live. I yell at the business comcast salesperson whenever he comes around to try and sell business service. He swears they are a different operation than home service. I DON'T care. Evil or Very Mad

I totally understand the points and counterpoints coming exactly to the "devil in the details" conclusion as well.

Yesterday, I heard on Bloomberg Radio that Comcast is the 2nd highest lobbying spender in D.C. behind Northrup Grumman. It seems like a cable/internet company shouldn't need to spend that much on lobbying unless they're trying to really stack the cards in their favor.
Porterwake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA! With all the former Comcast executives running the FCC, and the former FCC regulators funning Comcast, do you seriously think net neutrality will win the day?

The money will win the day. Internet is about to change forever because money talks in our country and Comcast will buy off the regulatory agency, every politician (Ted Cruz) they can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: