Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Gay marriage in OK

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Gay marriage in OK Reply with quote

The stay has been lifted, after the SC turned away the case for OK and several other states. At this point, the ban is no longer in effect.

Our governor had this little gem:

Quote:

The people of Oklahoma have the right to determine how marriage is defined. In 2004, Oklahomans exercised that right, voting by a margin of 3-1 to define marriage as the union of one man and one woman.

The will of the people has now been overridden by unelected federal justices, accountable to no one. That is both undemocratic and a violation of states' rights. Rather than allowing states to make their own policies that reflect the values and views of their residents, federal judges have inserted themselves into a state issue to pursue their own agendas.

Today's decision has been cast by the media as a victory for gay rights. What has been ignored, however, is the right of Oklahomans – and Americans in every state – to write their own laws and govern themselves as they see fit. Those rights have once again been trampled by an arrogant, out-of -control federal government that wants to substitute Oklahoma values with Washington, D.C. values.

Thoughts?

http://www.news9.com/story/26715092/stay-lifted-same-sex-marriage-now-legal-in-oklahoma

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2014 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has a point, except that Federal Anti-Descrimination laws trump state laws. You can't make a law saying that marriage is only between a white man and white woman and that a mixing of races is illegal. This is really no different, as you can't make laws that actively discriminate against a population of people.

The easy way out of all of this is to get the government completely out of marriage. You get married in church before your god and witnesses. You go to the court house and get a civil union contract drawn up. Seperation of church and state and what not.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2014 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our governor is a she, just FYI.

It seems to me this is the standard response from R's and I'm more in agreement with what you're saying. That is more in line with the Constitution, to me.

jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2014 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Gay marriage in OK Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
Thoughts?

ha-motherf*in-ha!! i'm cracking up watching right wing, conservative, religious america get a huge dose of civil rights shoved up their arse. pun intended. it gives me great delight to watch them squirm as something they deem so evil and wrong gets validated state by state.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Gov. Wallace stance....that's what I think....
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Gay marriage in OK Reply with quote

jt09 wrote:
Okie Boarder wrote:
Thoughts?

ha-motherf*in-ha!! i'm cracking up watching right wing, conservative, religious america get a huge dose of civil rights shoved up their arse. pun intended. it gives me great delight to watch them squirm as something they deem so evil and wrong gets validated state by state.

^this. Exactly.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2014 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont think anyone really cares anymore. Its an old people argument. Im as conservative and religious as they come, and I have never really cared one way or the other about the legality of it. 10 years ago it would have lasted several news cycles. Today I hadnt even read a blurb until I looked on here. No longer news. YAY!

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thought is that the same types of statements were made in the 1950's and 1960's when those Yankees up in D.C. wanted to tell the fine folks of Alabama and Mississippi how to handle their problems with coloreds.

Fooking ridiculous statement by the politician but, sadly, not a surprise.

I like the "old people argument" statement. If you believe it is a religious issue then that is great. Don't allow it in YOUR church. But respect the fact that YOUR church is free to do as it chooses under the protection of the Constitution. Just as the right to equal treatment for all human beings is protected under the Constitution.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mixing races was a big deal for my grandparents generation, but when that generation passed, so did that stigma. Homosexuality was a huge taboo for my parents generation. As soon as that generation passes, it will be gone too. Spending a bunch of resources "fighting the good fight" seems to be a waste considering it will die off with the baby boomers anyway.

RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr wrote:
Mixing races was a big deal for my grandparents generation, but when that generation passed, so did that stigma. Homosexuality was a huge taboo for my parents generation. As soon as that generation passes, it will be gone too. Spending a bunch of resources "fighting the good fight" seems to be a waste considering it will die off with the baby boomers anyway.

It won't, but not because of you or I.
I find that it is useful to have a perpetual demographic of "victims" to rally for "the cause". Cui bono?

RIP M.H.Legge
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will always be a taboo to make permissible. Just look on the horizon. What human behaviors are out there that are taboo to most but enjoyed by a few? Pot is becoming more accepted. What is the next drug that its proponents can show responsible use of?

Each generation has a taboo from the previous generation they are willing to accept, and a line they wont cross. Back in the day you didn't date outside of your religious group\country-origin group. My grandparents generation broke that taboo, but dating other races was unthinkable (my marriage would have been concerning for them had they been alive) as was divorce. My parents generation broke that taboo they don't have problems with mixed races nor divorce, but homosexuality was the line they wouldn't cross. Our generation accepts homosexuality in our society, but where do we draw our lines? Will the next generation feel the same?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: