Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Ice Bucket Challenge / ALS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Ice Bucket Challenge / ALS Reply with quote

I'm sure everyone has seen the ice bucket challenge and many may have decided to do it and/or donate to the ALS foundation. I've noticed a lot of people doing so on FB and some comments about concerns regarding the amount of your donation going to research and the use of embryonic stem cells in the research. So, for anyone concerned about that that want an alternative source to donate, this appears to be a very good organization to consider.

http://jp2mri.org/

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just offered to finance the abortion of 1 unplanned pregnancy. But there are a lot of great causes.
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure why you are concerned...

http://www.inquisitr.com/1434274/5-stem-cell-research-facts-als-ice-bucket/

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are lots of good causes.

I would rather that my donation go to an agency that isn't harvesting embryonic stem cells...just an ethical thing for me personally. Plus I would rather my money goes more to research and less to large salaries. I figure if anyone feels the same and they didn't know, now they can consider an alternate source.

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder, dont donate to any decent sized public charity, like any large business a "large" salary is generally needed to hire appropriate management...its also typically needed to get the best researchers
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that is generally true.
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's so many people I'd love to challenge...

bag_challenge.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  58.38 KB
 Viewed:  8104 Time(s)

RIP M.H.Legge
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RampageWake wrote:
There's so many people I'd love to challenge...
<insert image referencing stupidity>

"There are so many people..."

(I'm just here for the irony. Laughing )

Last edited by fish6942 on Aug 27, 2014 6:51 am; edited 1 time in total
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

touche' Embarassed
*hopes Swass doesn't show up*

RIP M.H.Legge
Nor*Cal
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Sac

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my link was not read... Again, I don't see your ethical dilemma.

There’s been some concern lately about the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge and the connection between the ALS Association and research into stem cell therapies. However, there are some important facts about stem cell research, and its application to a possible ALS cure, that you should know before you draw you conclusions.

1. Stem cells are a type of cell that have the potential to become whatever cells the body needs.

stem cell research saves lives because stem cells can become any cell
That’s why a days-old embryo is essentially made up of them, and why they can have so many applications in curing diseases and disorders. Research shows they can be used to replace defective or malfunctioning cells in patients. According to the ALS association, the specific application for ALS patients is supplying missing ‘information’ to cells around the motor neuron, to help keep the cells that are not yet damaged alive and strong, slowing (or perhaps eventually halting) the progress of the disease.

2. Stem cells don’t only come from embryos and fetuses.

Many don't know bone marrow transplants are stem cell research results.
A lot of people are concerned that funding stem cell research means funding abortions. However, stem cells are not just found in fetuses. The bone marrow that we can extract from the spine of one donor and use in the treatment of another person’s leukemia works because it is a type of stem cell. The Center for Bioethics and Human Dignity says that non-embryonic stem cells have been used to treat a number of conditions, and without some of the complications that sometimes arise with fetal stem cells.

3. Full-term pregnancies may eventually be a supplier of stem cells.

Stem cells don't only come from fetuses. Research allows stem cells to be taken from many sources.
You may be familiar with the Cord Blood Registry, particularly if you’ve had a baby in the last several years. You may have been invited to ‘bank’ blood from your baby’s umbilical cord at birth. This could later be used to treat a variety of medical problems that your baby might have later in life, including immune deficiencies and cancers. What you may not know is that this works because of the high number of fetal stem cells that blood contains. According to the Cord Blood Registry, current research hopes to find that this cord blood can also be used in therapies or cures for cerebral palsy, traumatic brain injury, and pediatric stroke.

4. When fetal stem cells do come from embryos, they don’t necessarily come from aborted pregnancies.

stem cell research often uses fertility clinic materials rather than aborted pregnancies.
Fertility clinics normally prepare a large number of fertilized eggs for patients. These additional embryos are stored in case the first implantation fails. However, at some point, they may be destroyed or discarded. According to NBC, they’re one of the most common sources for fetal stem cells.

Understandably, this may also be an ethical concern for many who are concerned about the destruction of an embryo. However you feel about it ethically, it’s still an important point to understand: these are not embryos that would otherwise have been born.

5. Your donation does not have to fund any stem cell research.

You don't have to fund stem cell research with your donation.
The ALS Association’s donor page has an option to click if you want the money to be limited to ALS research only. There are also laws in effect preventing the use of Federal funds for fetal stem cell research.

Stem cell research is going to change the way we treat disease. Still, it’s understandable that some have ethical concerns about fetal stem cells. Whatever your position on stem cell research, though, it’s helpful to understand the facts about harvesting and application of them with the latest technology and information.

Read more at http://www.inquisitr.com/1434274/5-stem-cell-research-facts-als-ice-bucket/#rqx2tVMYIMmDGL8T.99

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read your link, but I still have the concern. I feel more comfortable donating to an organization that has intently committed to do their research in a way that aligns with my beliefs. To me, this is a "vote with your wallet" sort of thing.
ChrisG
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Brentwood, CA

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to. This is just too funny. Laughing

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2014 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: