Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Tony Stewart

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Tony Stewart Reply with quote

Wow! What a crazy incident with Stewart. Have y'all seen it? Thoughts?
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts are, that kid should have stayed in his car.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't know anything about wrongful death in NY, but i'd imagine this will be an expensive "mistake" for mr. stewart.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
My thoughts are, that kid should have stayed in his car.

I am thinking the same. I think it is going to be interesting to find out how purposefully the car's movements were.

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think there is any way, besides Tony S. saying "I tried to scare him" , they could ever prove intent. T.S. is never going to say that.

No criminal charges coming. Civil suit coming. May be cheaper to settle, though I'd like to see T.S. fight it, which with his apparent personality and net worth, he may.

When someone runs onto an active racetrack, having discussion on fault & blame is tough to wrap my head around.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darwin award candidate.... settle it off the track you dumb ass. it's a tragic ending but running onto on coming cars during a race doesn't seem like the smartest thing in the world to do...
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony tried to spray him and failed. Kid was being a moron and died. Both at fault, no one meaning for it to happen.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that they'll never prove intent. There won't be any criminal charges outside of criminal negligence. Dead guy' running onto the track and stepping toward the area where traffic was running is going to be a huge comparative fault issue in either a civil or criminal case.

Stewart is never going to say he had it coming. Stewart is never going to say he was trying to scare him/send him a message by swerving at him. Stewart is going to say that he didn't see him until it was too late and that he would NEVER play around with anyone who is out of their car on a racetrack because he knows how incredibly dangerous racing is.

Stewart's reputation is going to cause a lot of outrage, but if that kid isn't standing on the track there is NO way this happens. Doesn't make the story any less sad for the kid's family, though.

Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J. wrote:
When someone runs onto an active racetrack, having discussion on fault & blame is tough to wrap my head around.

That's pretty much where I'm at. I do think TS tried to scare him, but proving that would be difficult, if not impossible.
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just watched the video and how Tony Stewart is not getting hit with charges is beyond me. He throttled it to kick out at him to scare him but ended up killing him. Its manslaughter from any direction i'm trying to view it. It was no different than pointing an unloaded gun at someone, pulling the trigger to only realize there was one in the chamber.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
holdsworth
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Knoxville

PostPosted: Aug 11, 2014 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious what the exact time delay of the sound was from the cameraman's point of view. I watched it a few times and am curious if Tony goosed it based on pure reaction when he first struck the kid and tried to get away, or if he actually swerved towards him and unintentionally hit him. Either way, it's a sad situation. Kid definitely should've kept his cool and dealt with it later and not walked around on an active track.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2014 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a few things about how these sprint cars are controlled and I see a lot of information that points towards spinning the rear end being part of how they "steer".
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmballa wrote:
how Tony Stewart is not getting hit with charges is beyond me.

I would be absolutely amazed if he gets any criminal charges. There is no way to prove intent. There is no way to prove Tony saw him until it was too late.

The kid should NOT have gone out on to the track. He should have stayed in his car or next to it or moved to the wall and waited for the safety crew.

I watched the video and stopped it on the frames where kid was hit. When the kid is hit, it appears Stewart's steering is pulled right. It also appears the kid being stuck under the car pulls the entire car right. In a sprint car, you steer with the throttle as much as the wheel. As Stewart's car is pulled right, he yanks it left and gooses it to head toward the middle of the track. That is when the kid slides out and Stewart's car moves back toward the middle.

What I think happened, is that the kid overreacted, got way too damn close to Stewart's car, and accidentally got hung up on the front of Stewart's car.

It sucks. It is a horrible way to go.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
ohsix

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was bad thinking by the kid all the way around. My dad used to race sprint cars and vision to the right of center is severely limited. You have to almost get in front of the car if you want to be seen from the right. Here are some pictures of Tony Stewart's car showing how restricted vision is to the right.

The way dirt cars handle is almost opposite of how cars handle on asphalt. You turn in the direction of the corner just enough to get centripetal force to break the rear loose, then you use throttle and counter steer to make the car turn.

Here's Stewart turning left at race pace:

It's impossible to tell what Stewart's intent was based on the video. The car in front of Stewart almost hit the kid and he had more time to see and react than Stewart did behind him.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Add to the restricted visibility - the race was at night and the kid was wearing all black.

We have no idea what Tony did or did not see, but we do know that his vision was very much limited at the time of the accident.

I just cannot pass any judgement on TS based on what I've seen.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How easy are these cars to turn at lower speeds when the rear isn't broken free? If TS had stayed on his line and didn't hit the gas at the last second would this have happened?
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell, he didn't hit the gas until the kid was already under his car. When the kid got hung up on his front right it pulled the wheels (and the car) right. If he hit his gas at that point the car would have pitched the rear to the left (away from the kid if he wasn't already under the tire).

ohsix

PostPosted: Aug 12, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They don't handle like a street car, but they're controllable and able to stay on a line. If TS had seen the kid 2 seconds ahead of time, and the kid didn't move, he definitely could have avoided contact at that pace. From the footage I've seen, you just can't tell how much time TS had to react, where he was looking, or how he was driving through the turn before making contact with Ward.

Speculation:
I don't think there's any way he could have seen Ward before the 45 car in front of him cleared Ward, and even then, I think he would have to be looking for a person walking down the track, which isn't a common occurrence.

Stewart has been racing for many years running many circuits in many types of cars concurrently. He is a racing junkie. He's probably been involved in 100+ track confrontations over the years and, as far as I know, never tried to hit a pedestrian, or whatever you call someone walking on the track, with his vehicle.

He stopped his car right after hitting Ward. In a sprint car, you don't stop unless there's a red flag or you're done driving. Sprint cars don't have a starter, transmission, or clutch. To start them, you turn the motor by pushing the car and the back wheels turn the engine until it starts. The only way to restart the car is to get another push start. I think he realized he hit Ward right when it happened and immediately became concerned. If he was hitting him out of anger, I think he would have kept going without concern over Ward's well-being. Unless there was prior conflict in the race between the two drivers, Stewart shouldn't have been angry with Ward at that point. Stewart squeezed Ward high in that turn, but Stewart had the pass made and I think he left him room to avoid contact with the wall. It was an aggressive move by Stewart, but he's an aggressive driver and I'm sure he's put that same move on many drivers before without a crash or altercation resulting from it.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R U Serious?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nascar/2014/09/24/kevin-ward-jr-marijuana-toxicology-report-tony-stewart-grand-jury-decision/16160043/

If the Ward family knew this, and dragged Stewart through all of this crap... Well hell I have a lot less sympathy or empathy than I did before.

Best of luck winning a civil case where an stoned kid walked on to a hot track toward the cars...

eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Michael Brown was stoned too. Does that change your opinion in that case?

No troll/serious question.

I am fascinated/baffled by contemporary societies acceptance of MJ use vs other intoxicants.

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
Michael Brown was stoned too. Does that change your opinion in that case?

No troll/serious question.

I am fascinated/baffled by contemporary societies acceptance of MJ use vs other intoxicants.

HUGE difference between being on a racetrack intoxicated vs the Brown incident, right?
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, I didn't get to watch a video of MB's last moments so I really can't answer that. Plus MB wasn't on an active racetrack, so I'm having a hard time comparing/contrasting them.

Anyhow, according to the DA reports he had enough MJ in him to "impair his judgement" which I can only imagine means he shouldn't have been anywhere near the track, let alone on it racing a sprint car.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He died of blunt force trauma from the impact with Stewart's car.

Blunt force or blunt induced?

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jryoung wrote:
Quote:
He died of blunt force trauma from the impact with Stewart's car.

Blunt force or blunt induced?

jryoung, BA DA TING!

He'll be here all week folks! Don't forget to tip your waitress!

Laughing

We are going straight to hell.

eeven73

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My point is if MB had enough MJ in his system to impair his judgment shouldn't that be a factor in that situation as well.

All I have heard is "doesn't matter" just as Ward Jr. mother says in linked article. Which doesn't make any sense to me. The drugs or alcohol IMPAIR JUDGEMENT (allow you to do things you wouldn't without impairment). Walk onto a hot racetrack, get into a physical altercation with police, ....... There is an alleged ZERO TOLERANCE for impaired driving, but not for other impaired actions.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I thought you didn't believe in that sort of thing.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
Quote:

I thought you didn't believe in that sort of thing.

fa·ce·tious
fəˈsēSHəs/Submit
adjective
treating serious issues with deliberately inappropriate humor; flippant.
synonyms: flippant, flip, glib, frivolous, tongue-in-cheek, ironic, sardonic, joking, jokey, jocular, playful, sportive, teasing, mischievous; More

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess my sarcasm meter is on the fritz today.
ohsix

PostPosted: Sep 25, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought this topic was dead..

I saw a poorly lit video of the Ward/Stewart incident a few weeks ago shot from the outside of the turn where Ward was killed. It looked like Ward grabbed the Stewart's wing in that video and wasn't able to hold on which is why he was run over.

I think the marijuana report helps Stewart in the event of a civil suit. I sat on a jury a few years ago where a guy got his ass kicked in a parking lot bar fight then ran into some people who had come outside to participate and watch the fight while leaving in his car. The cops stopped him and took him to the hospital where he was diagnosed with a severe concussion among other injuries. The hospital records were evidence in the case and he confessed to using marijuana daily when he was admitted to the hospital. One old lady on the jury decided he was guilty of any and all charges based on his marijuana use. I didn't agree with her, but there's a good chance you'll get someone like that on any jury.
eeven73

PostPosted: Sep 26, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ which is different from what I am saying.

I am not saying oh nooozzze mary jane is the devil weed.

I am saying people who are in an altered state of mind do stuff that the wouldn't do in a clear state of mind. Any guy who has been to college knows what I am talking about. You know the girl in 236. you know the one who weighed 236.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: