Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

School me on Pappy Van Winkle?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: School me on Pappy Van Winkle? Reply with quote

I have a need to find some of this product. Is this an impossible task?

A family business has a liquor license but I have never looked into getting my hands on any of this.

It will be a gift so I will not need it until Christmas but I hear this still might not be enough time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's great and all, but is it worth 6 months of effort to obtain?
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck. it is one of the most popular whiskey's out there right now. Production of it has not caught up to deman. If you aren't already on a wait list, get on one. Good luck.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure about it being worth it but since I heard it is on my buddies wishlist I am going to do what I can to get it. Last wish was a glock and that was much easier to find.

If anyone has a lead let me know. Really hate to pick one up on the secondary market and have to pay 10x the retail price but looks like that might be my only option.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
nmballa
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killed a bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve a few months back. Buddies buddy won it and gave it to him since he wasn't a big whiskey guy. The two of us sat down and killed it in a few hours time.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=509037985&ref=profile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is brutally tough to find. What bottle are you looking for? The only one that stayed on shelves for any amount of time was the 23 year due to it's price. However, since it has become so popular the secondary market is insane so people just grab it and flip it.

I'be been fortunate enough to have three bottles pass through my house. Most were because of luck, I have one right now and the only reason we have it is because my wife was at the liquor store this December and on a whim she asked if they had any. Turns out the truck was there earlier in the morning.

At the end of the day you need to time the shipment and arrival at your local store if they are getting any. Most buyers probably won't tell you when it comes in.

flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want whatever I can find. My buddies want to try the most expensive of course but I think anything I can find would make a good gift. We seem to have a Friday afternoon drinking party on a regular basis now.
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think most of the releases are around the holidays so it is unlikely that you will find some now unless on the secondary market.

KL Wines in CA has some great offerings right now, special barrels, blends etc. etc.

Four Roses K&L Exclusive OBSQ and OESQ. They are great options at the $60 price point, and you can afford to purchase both and taste side by side. With these blends they also have different ages, I think there are 4 or 5 different bottles in this collection.

It's no secret that we love Four Roses distillery and it's also not a secret that our K&L Exclusive casks from the Bourbon maker are some of the best whiskies we get each year. However, drinking great Kentucky Bourbon isn't always enough these days as consumers are always looking for something more to sink their teeth into. That's why we decided on a little theme for our most recent batch of Four Roses selections. The distillery makes two different mashbills: "E" which uses 75% corn, 20% rye and "B" which uses 60% corn and 35% rye. They also use five different types of yeast, creating the permutation potential for ten different recipes. We decided to pick two yeast strains and see how they interacted with the two different mashbills, side-by-side. The OBSQ has the higher rye content of the two Q whiskies and the result is a monstrous Bourbon with big richness, big spice, big floral rye notes, and big everything! It's the richest of all the four casks and it has the most power at a whopping 60.3%. It's an in-your-face Bourbon that delivers all the goods. (David Driscoll, Spirits Buyer)

Rhetoric 20 Year Old Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey - $99
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1168243

Barterhouse 20 Year Old Kentucky Bourbon Whiskey - $99
http://www.klwines.com/detail.asp?sku=1158841

I'm halfway through a bottle of the Barterhouse and have a bottle of the Rhetoric waiting for pick-up. I like the Barterhouse, it's easy to drink with sweet elements without not being over the top.

I'd check out any and all of these offerings, I had an OBSO (different Four Roses Cask Strength) it was young and hot in all the right ways as it had the body to go with it.

Corporate
Addict
Addict

City: The Cats in spanish

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very good and you are going to pay if you are in a hurry. Availability is just stupid low. I only have two bottles left and probably will have a very difficult time replacing.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking to my local guy, they usually ship in October. Keep in mind that there is a family tree of Kentucky Bourbon and that Pappy is on that tree with other damn good ones.

For a cheap bottle that is really, really good, try Buffalo Trace.

IMG_1845.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  169.62 KB
 Viewed:  16828 Time(s)

Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but we have a micro brewed whiskey that you can only buy in Colorado. It's called Stranahan's. It's very good.

http://www.stranahans.com/

If you're interested, I will pick up a bottle at their store and ship it to you.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on that one.

TX has been my "go to" for a while. I try alot of whiskey but keep coming back to this.

whiskey-3.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  65.48 KB
 Viewed:  16810 Time(s)

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from Garrison Brothers. It is not good and it is really not good at it's price point.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips...

I did find that Oct-Nov is the release time and that I am going to really have to get in good with the stores around town to see if they are going to have a lottery, list or some process for selling the pappy when it comes in. I have reached out to a few buddies that have some bars around town to see if he has any pull.

Wonder where JT is because I bet he has a connection or two here in Austin that could hook me up. Smile

If any of you have a sealed bottle you would be willing to part with let me know. I have wakeboards, gun gear and cash.

flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jul 31, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to find a local list that I could get on. I found out the release date of the in-store signup. so I might have a chance at getting some bottles in October.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Oct 14, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on a lottery at one of the local retailers. They received a few bottle last year so fingers crossed. I have heard that it will be released in the next few weeks and start making its way around the country.

If anyone sees bottles let me know. I can use a 23 for a Christmas gift and cheaper bottles for other office gifts. Thursday seems to have become bourbon meeting day in the office for everyone.

flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Nov 09, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a bottle of 12 year and had to pay way over retail for it. Have had no luck getting a bottle off the shelf at a normal price. Still trying to find a 23 year and not all the stores in texas have received it. So I just might luck out.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Nov 10, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 23 in Napa, CA. It was not worth the money. It was good, but not $300 a bottle good. Blantons at $50 a bottle is just as good of a whiskey. Don't kill yourself. Also, the 12 is fine. I had some of that as well.
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2015 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone here local is selling a bottle of this, and it reminded me of this thread. He is asking $1800!! Bottled in 2009 and is a 20year old private reserve he says. I know nothing about it, but that seems like a crazy ridiculous price, or is that the normal going rate for this stuff?
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2015 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 23yr I have seen it as high as $2500.

It is more of a crazy to sell it during the release time in November.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: