Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Sustainable Weight Loss / Fitness
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Sustainable Weight Loss / Fitness Reply with quote

So, my wife and I are both looking to trim down and tone up some. We aren't trying to be some sort of infomercial success story, but we want to be in better shape. We want this to be something that is not a diet, but a sustainable change. We're also not the type to drastically change eating habits and want to be able to have a relatively average diet, if that makes sense.

We have found a couple good apps for tracking calories, which we think will help. In addition, we are committed to stepping up an exercise routine that will at least be 30 minutes of walking and/or cardio every day, if possible. We'll probably start with some meal replacement shake type thing and work the weight down a little more rapid at first, then transition to a more moderate diet along with the exercise.

Here are a few of our challenges:

1. It seems to work best for our family schedule to be able to eat casserole/large serving type dishes once or twice a week (spaghetti, crock pot meals, etc).

2. The veggies we both like to eat are somewhat limited.

3. Eating primarily chicken and fish would cause a bit of a burnout and tough to maintain (we've tried this before).

4. I can't run because of my leg break.

5. There are definitely a few items we do not want to give up (a little different for the two of us) that can work against caloric intake reduction.

6. We need to be careful with cost so we don't see 2-3x the cost for groceries as we've been used to.

So, thoughts?

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk. A lot. Or lap swim at the local pool. The pool would likely be great for the messed up leg.

I need to get on this more, but I spend tons of time in the pool. Playing with a bottomless-energy-pit of a toddler takes up a lot of time and energy!

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be congnizant of everything you eat.

Watch your portions size.

Avoid Dessert.

Get moving, lots of walking and other activities.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:

Avoid Dessert.

fcuk you!

Arrow Arrow Laughing

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
Walk. A lot. Or lap swim at the local pool. The pool would likely be great for the messed up leg.

I need to get on this more, but I spend tons of time in the pool. Playing with a bottomless-energy-pit of a toddler takes up a lot of time and energy!

A pool would definitely be good. We will be house shopping in the next year or two and a pool is one of the items we're hoping to find already in place. I know my parents have always used their pool regularly and it is great for health and fitness.

I can do walking and any of the machines, but running is painful.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
Be congnizant of everything you eat.

Watch your portions size.

Avoid Dessert.

Get moving, lots of walking and other activities.

I think the apps we looked at may be a big help there. I'm in agreement with chavez about the dessert thing...LOL!

senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three keys to a healthy lifestyle:

Discipline
Diet
Exercise

The first two of those are by far the most important.

Only way to lose weight is to burn more calories that you are eating. My dad's lost 40 pounds since he retired last year. He did this buy doing lots of cardio (he loves to run) and tracking EVERYTHING he eats using MyFitnessPal. Get a food scale, scan the barcodes of the food you buy with MFP, or just enter in your meal/portion size into the diary. It is eyeopening on where you are getting your calories from. You do not need to cut out every type of bad food and only eat boneless skinless chicken breasts and broccoli for every meal to reach your goals.

After a week or so use this information to find out the foods/drinks that are real heavy hitters in your diet and make a better choice (this is where discipline comes in).

Maybe you make spaghetti for family dinner, you chop up a bunch of those fresh vegetables in your garden and make a big salad so your dinner portion size will be smaller. If you don't want to eat a salad, you could just blend a bunch of spinach + vegetables into a smoothie. Yeah it may not taste great, but it's low in calories and will curb some of your hunger and allow you to feel full faster whenever your eating your main course.

Maybe when you go to McDonalds, you just get the burger and an iced tea (unsweetened) and pass on the french fries with a large Coke.

Hungry for a snack? Don't have bags of chips or other junk food lying around the house. Pick some type of fruit/veggie that you do like, or some other low calorie sack, and measure off 2 tablespoons of peanut butter, or hummus. Note I said low calorie, not low fat. People think fat and automatically think it's unhealthy. It's not, and it's should be a part of a healthy diet. It's all about portion control. You can get healthy fats from things like avocados, nuts, etc.

http://time.com/2863227/ending-the-war-on-fat/

Find out what your daily caloric intake is to maintain your current weight, and then knock a couple hundred calories off of that. After you've got the hang of it, you can start looking at tracking your macro nutrient intakes (Carbs, Fat, and protein) and determine a healthy ratio/goal that will help you to your goals (maybe 40%/30%/30% for a balanced diet, or you can drop the carbs to really low and increase protein and fat if you want to go lo carb.)

Start small and stick with it. Don't be hard on yourself if you screw up. Just make a decision to do better at your next meal and keep at it.

Last edited by senorbueno on Jul 25, 2014 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info senorbueno. I downloaded an app called Lose It this morning...it looks like MFP is very similar, but has a larger database of foods out there. I searched for the Pioneer Woman recipe we use for salsa and found that easily...pretty cool.

We decided we're going to do walking and a cardio machine as our main exercise.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've got an awesome garden, get a vegetarian/vegan cookbook for some innovative ways to prepare them.

Diet is the best effort to focus on as you have to do it everyday. You can skip a workout, get injured etc. etc. but you have to eat. If you make a conscious effort to eat better for every meal, everything else will fall into place. Certainly easier said than done, I know I feel chittier and am more lethargic when I eat heavily processed food or simple carbs. However, the instant gratification of delicious french fries, cake, sugar are very addictive.

eeven73

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beer and Chicken Wings are addictive too Evil or Very Mad
jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Jul 25, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
Beer and Chicken Wings are addictive too Evil or Very Mad

Wings and beer for dinner tonight....I'll start tomorrow.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 26, 2014 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You've got an awesome garden, get a vegetarian/vegan cookbook for some innovative ways to prepare them.

We'll give that a try...maybe she and I will eat more veggies if we prepare differently.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its is a little more complex than basic input and output but like mentioned above, burning more than you take in is a must.

For diet, I'm like most and cant eat the tasteless crap most call a "healthy meal." But I can control my portions. I think Americans don't realize how much we have let our "normal" portion size expand. I remember as a kid that going to 7-11 and getting the original Big Gulp was a feakish un-finishable soda. You realize those were only 32oz? Eat slow, enjoy it. You will feel full after 30 min regardless of what you have consumed.

Find a good source of calorie burning exercise. Dude in my neighborhood had leg\back issues and he went with those sit down bikes and slimmed down alot. My weight goes from 210 - 230lbs based largely on the exercise I'm involved in.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys that don't like "healthy" food using spices?

Okie - for food - don't buy anything in a box or a bag. Beef, fish, pork and chicken plus veggies and fruit is all you need to eat. The only exception to the bag food thing is frozen veggies. No, they are not as tasty as fresh (IMO), but you can microwave them in the bag for 5 minutes and they are ready to go. Throw on some butter and spices and they are pretty good.

Look, it's not rocket science. Cut out the soda, candy, snacks, chips, garlic bread with the spaghetti, etc. Learn to use the hell outta the crock pot. Cassaroles are usually not good for you, but crock pot meals can be.

I'm down from 240 to 215. I have totally fallen off the wagon, but have maintained my 215. My goal by my 37th birthday is 190. I have till January.

Oh, for a great workout program that requires nothing more than a pullup bar, go here:

www.marksdailyapple.com and look for his body weight program. It is free to download if you sign up for his news letter. He goes through how to scale the body weight exercises to your ability. You do the program two or 3 times a week. The rest of the time you PLAY. By play he means walking, playing catch with the kid, swimming - ANYTHING active.

Good luck. You're not alone in all of this. The wife and I are in this same situation. She rocks the diet portion and I am better with the exercise. She's come around to the working out much faster than I have to the diet. Very Happy

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Are you guys that don't like "healthy" food using spices?

Sure, but the rolling scale of "healthy" makes for a "no win" for me.

If I choose a salad over a pizza, my healthfood junky buddies say, "why waste your time if your going to put ranch on it?"

If I drink gatorade instead of soda, I hear, "You know how much salt is in that?"

Bottom line, in the healthfood world, it seems that if its not water, free range, fresh picked, and/or only lightly grilled with no flavoring, its not healthy.

So, what I do is just control portions when eating fast\junk food (lunches for me, wife cooks lean at home). I do drink alot of water but I dont avoid soda all together. I CAN eat an entire Pizza Hut large supreme in a sitting. Instead of eating 8 slices, I eat 2 or 3. I CAN eat a dozen party burritos from Taco Bueno, but I only order 6. I CAN eat 2 dinner portion Chicken fried rice plates. I just get the single lunch portion.

Now, I also ride the cable a couple times a week. I kiteboard every day its windy. I play in Thursday night and Sunday night basketball leagues. I play football on Saturday mornings. I ride my bike everywhere thats feasable. The family and I have been doing alot of hiking the last few months or so.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand where you are coming from. Sauces and dressings are packed with calories and processed crap. Your salad is no longer healthy when you put anything on it other than vinager, oil, salt and pepper. you could make a good Italian dressing at home and use that over ranch.

Finding subsitutes for the crap stuff is the hardest part. I've found that if i can make 80% of my meals healthy, along with exercise, i will lose weight. My issue is that right now, 40% of my meals are healthy. I've got to get my diet back in order. Less mexican, more meat and veggies.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy, you can eat Messican food. Carne Asada, Polla Asada, veggies, salsa.

Think fajitas minus the refrieds and rice and flour tortillas. Heck, you could even sneak in a corn tortilla or two.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude... Spanish rice is the greatest food ever. I can eat pounds of it. I can't do a fajita with out the tortillia. I've tried. That damn home made tortillia with real lard is soooooooooooooooo gooooooood. I know my weakness and it's name is Tex Mex. Laughing
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy, preachin to the choir bro. Love me some spanish rice.

pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't really have to cut out a lot of stuff, you need to cut out ADDED sugar, refined sugars/flours, and processed ingredients from your diet. Look at the labels on anything that comes in a box, bag, or bottle and look to see how many grams of sugar are in each serving.

Lean proteins and whole carbs like brown rice, whole wheat breads/tortillas, whole wheat pastas in place of the stuff that comes in a box it will make a big difference. Also, the fruits and veggies are a great way to do the same thing.

Finally, drink half your body weight in fluid ounces of cold water each day. For example, if you weigh 200 lbs then drink 100 fl. oz. of water everyday. Being well hydrated and drinking cold water will kick your body's metabolism up a little to burn off calories as well.

Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do the Advocare 24 day challenge. It works.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the Advocare - i would look into the Whole 30. Whole foods diet for 30 days, no suppliments.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, guys. Thanks.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll be incorporating a lot of the ideas on here and others we've read. Do most of y'all do snacks? If so, what do you snack on?

We pulled the trigger on an exercise machine...got the bowflex max trainer.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fruit and tree nuts.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
Do most of y'all do snacks? If so, what do you snack on?

I make my own baggies of "trail mix" with sweettarts, skittles, gobstoppers, and fun dip.

haha! nah, I stick to apples, bananas, grapes, and oranges.

pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
We'll be incorporating a lot of the ideas on here and others we've read. Do most of y'all do snacks? If so, what do you snack on?

We pulled the trigger on an exercise machine...got the bowflex max trainer.

I do a can of tuna, a couple hard boiled eggs, almonds, a small square of dark chocolate, a spoonful of natural peanut butter/sunflower nut butter, or a protein bar that I actually like the taste of more than using it for the protein.

I try to eat 5-6 times a day so that I don't really need to "snack." I just have small meals and a little bit bigger meal at dinner.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL jason.

pet575, hard boiled eggs is something I had forgotten about as a snack/meal idea. Long term, I want to get to the 5-6 meal a day routine and bring the portions down. That's where I feel the sustainable aspect will come into play.

I've already noticed a difference in doing some smaller snacks and reducing my portions. For example, I had some leftover beef stroganoff last night. I made myself 1/2 c of brown rice with 1 c of the stroganoff mix. I put 1 c each of steamed broccoli and cauliflower on my plate. I ate all the veggies, and about half of the stroganoff and called it good.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rice is terrible. Very Happy
What was the sauce on the stroganoff? Very Happy

I'm picking on you, but those are the things you really need to look at and work on. I'm in the same boat. I just had drunken noodles. I made a pound and a half of veggies and 12 oz of rice noodles. It's lunch for three days. The noodles are not healthy. The veggies are, but i would still classify that as an unhealthy meal.

Lunch is the killer for me. I get tired of chicken breast and an assorment of veggies. I'm working on kicking the carbs, but damn, am I addicted.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL, yeah, I know. But, smaller portions is definitely a positive step for me. Since I only ate half of it, it was 1/4 c of brown rice and 1/2 c of the stroganoff. The stroganoff was a ground beef style that used beef stock, cream cheese and sour cream, plus the seasonings, and I load it up with mushrooms.

Right now, I'm focusing on the smaller portions, tracking my calories with MFP, cleaning out the refrigerator and planning for the next step.

eeven73

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my experience is you will do well with managing your portions and having a balanced meal(protein, fat, carbs).

The carbphobia makes the whole thing just that much harder for in my experience not that much greater loss.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, eat breakfast if you dont already. I used to skip breakfast and then gorge myself at lunch. Adding breakfast consistently has helped with portion control.

pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on breakfast.

Also, most weight loss tied to carb-cutting is successful not because you're actually cutting carbs themselves. It is because you are cutting crappy simple processed carbs like sugars and flours. You can "carb cut" by limiting yourself only to whole, complex carbs and still have tons of success.

eeven73

PostPosted: Jul 29, 2014 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^yes!!!

Eat a balanced diet and exercise. One thing/point/anecdote for me
is go to bed slighty hungry,not starving, just not full.

Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Jul 30, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a student of nutrition & training for over 30 years, let me tell you something. There are only two things that you need to do:

1. eat less
2. exercise more

That's it. All the nuances, programs, advice, etc. is BS and/or someone trying to make money off you. Want to complicate it? Here you go:

Eat less of a balanced diet
Exercise more should include more strength training then everyone is telling you, and that means squats, not machines.

You can take this advice now, or later, or never...but when you actually get results, you will have taken this advice. Have a good day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: