Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Vasectomy?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Vasectomy? Reply with quote

Have any of you had a vasectomy?

My wife is due any day now, (July 14, but she says she feels like things are starting to happen now). This will be our last.

I have been clinging to the idea that I should keep my options open, but after learning how serious and risky a tubal ligation can be (relatively low risk, but it is a major surgery), we have been talking about a vasectomy. I need to go talk to a urologist, but I'm wondering if any of you have had one, and what your thoughts are?

Any change in volume? Color? Libido? Taste? Does having sperm just absorb back into your body cause any issues?

I know my doctor will answer these questions, but I don't entirely trust doctors and I figured I would see what those who have had one think.

Recovery time? how was the procedure?

I get sick even thinking about it.

ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching this thread. My 2nd kid, and final, is due in September. I plan to get clipped soon after.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

more info than you ever want to read and some funny stories along the way:

http://www.shaggybevo.com/board/showthread.php/125775-vasectomy...

Also, I will be getting one in the future. We are only have the one kid, so no need to keep playing with fire.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, what if, god forbid, your wife leaves you or dies? And you meet a wonderful girl who wants to get married and have kids.....

Maybe it's far fetched, but I think about it

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

she leaves or dies and that's it. I am not getting married again. I was never going to get married in the first place and we were set up by her father. She's a very special woman and will be it for me. Same with the kid. I wanted a kid. I have one and he is awesome. Don't need another.
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got myself fixed a few years ago. Absolutely no difference! (Except for the no kid thing.) A day on the couch with a bag of frozen peas and you're good to go. Just don't try to overdue it for the first few days. Take your doc's advice and take it easy.

As for what the future may bring, I am way passed the age that I want to have more kids. That ship has sailed.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old are you, goofyboy?

swass, how bad was the procedure? I get extremely nauseous with this kind of stuff. I'm going to need about a dozen valiums.

Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was REALLY nervous, but it was pretty easy. You're awake for the whole thing. A few tugs, a snip or two and then the burn. The worst part was the smell. lol

It's really not that big of a deal, as long as you don't try to move a couch or something for a few days after.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix wrote:
I'll be watching this thread. My 2nd kid, and final, is due in September. I plan to get clipped soon after.

Same here. We are due in Nov. Once baby is here and healthy, I'm going in for the killswitch.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a lil girl in April. She is my 3rd and last. I'm thinking of going in next week and knocking it out. We had a hard time conceiving #2, so #3 came as a bit of a surprise (we always wanted 3 but since #2 was so difficult to conceive we never went back on BC after #2). We weren't "trying", as much as you can say that with no goalie.

So we both agreed I would get it done while on my 3 month paternity leave. I got 3 weeks left and still haven't done it. The wife has changed her tune and doesn't want me to do it. She just got an IUD. They say they can reverse it for $5k. If something happens (tragedy or lotto) and I want more, I figure I can pony up the cash.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the effectiveness of reversal?
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 36.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
What is the effectiveness of reversal?

Depends on the type of reconnect required. The standard reconnect is 98% successful. In the rare case your tubes are blocked/blown out then the more invasive procedure has 85% success rate.

vasectomy = $25 (covered)

reversal = $5000 (not covered)

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got mine done a few months after our 2nd was born. As Swass said, it is a pretty simple procedure and the recovery time is short. You'll be really sore for the first day or two and then it starts to go away. You'll want to take it easy for a couple weeks with any sexual activity because it can be a bit tender.

Like Swass said, not much of a change,except you don't really have to worry about kids or BC. IIRC, they didn't burn mine, they removed a section of the tube and put stitches on both ends.

You might ask the doctor what style of procedure he does and how liberal he is with anesthetic. Also, find out what he wants you to do afterwards. Most doctors want you to come back in a couple times to get tested to make sure you are shooting blanks.

By the way, I agree with your reasoning and that's exactly why I did it. I didn't want my wife to have to go through the more invasive procedure.

pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Swass said, but with proper usage and spelling. Smile

Seriously was no big deal. Got mine done on a Friday, played in a hockey game on Sunday and a baseball game the next Tuesday with no problems.

vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had mine done about 1.5 years ago. I was also very nervous about the whole thing. You go in first for the initial consultation which is basically a Q&A session. As far as your swimmers they look the same taste the same (just kidding) everything is the same according to him 5% less volume. Schedule your appointment usually a Thursday or Friday it is done in his office. You need to shave the balls the night before (don't do this drunk). He will prescribe valluum and antibiotics take a valluum 4 hrs before surgery and one right before (someone will need to drive you there unfortunately this was my wife making jokes). The only painful part was the numbing agent they inject on each side and it hurts for about 4 second each side. He makes an incision about 1/2" long each side and cuts the tube on each end and carterizes each end and ties them up away from each other and removes the tube he cuts out and repeats on the other side.

You are sore walking out. Put frozen peas (still in the bag) on them a couple of times a day. He told me tomorrow you are going to feel just fine however, you are not DON'T DO stuff for the next few days just sit on the couch steal your kids xbox whatever just don't move. They are going to be black and blue for a week or two this is completely normal. The following weekend don't have anything planned as far a physical activity crossfit, wakeboarding, ect. You really won't feel like it anyway. I would say it takes 7-10 days before you get back in action with the old lady.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING. YOU NEED TO CLEAR THE CHAMBER AT LEAST 10 TIMES BEFORE THE GUN IS NOT LOADED. YOU STILL HAVE SWIMMERS IN THERE AND SHE COULD GET KNOCKED UP.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot about the shaving part. Also, they will usually tape your penis up out of the way and give your nuts a nice rub down of iodine when they get ready to do the surgery. This was quite the funny moment when mine was done. I had a male nurse with a female intern. He did the taping and she was doing the wipe down. She was wiping them so lightly, like it was fine crystal she thought she was going to break. I told her she didn't have to be so gentle...they aren't going to crack like eggs. She turned beet red and my wife just shook her head at me. The male nurse was chuckling under his breath.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even reading all this has me feeling queasy.

I'll get through it, though.

You are lucky to work somewhere with paternity leave.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will have to be put under. I don't do shots. I have a terrible flight or fight reflex with them. I either want to hit someone or pass out because I can't hit someone. I have gotten to a point that I can get blood drawn or get a shot in the arm, but it takes me close to thirty minutes to recover. It is a terrible and stupid irrational fear. The damn things don't even hurt. Ticks me off. That said, I still cannot get a shot in the mouth and I really don't see me getting one in the nuts if I am awake.

Oh, and valluum doesn't do anything to me. Neither does the highest dose of helcion (i think that's what it is called).

Anyway, happy snipping. Oh and vette - i can see your wife cracking jokes at you. she's funny.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do needles either, or anything having to do with my balls.

If you put a needle or scalpel near my balls, I'm going to get very, very sick.

I'm like you, goofyboy. When I have to have blood drawn, the phlebotomist always makes me stay until the color has come back before allowing me to drive.

The thing is, I have seen some pretty bad car wrecks and shootings, and that stuff never bothered me. But show me someone putting a needle into a vein, and I hit the floor.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine done after our 2nd kid when I was 30. I went in Friday morning and was pretty well good to go the next day after laying around all day Friday with ice. Had an Xmas party at the house Sat night actually, so I wasn't taking pain killers at that point either.

I had a gay, black, male nurse that got everything situated while singing along to Skynyrd's greatest hits. It lightened the mood substantially.

Mine has been done 5 years at this point and it is pretty high up the list of good decisions.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're laid back in a chair in stirrups, so you're not watching much of anything. You'll know when they gave you the numbing shots, but not much else. They also did an IV for mine, but I don't know if that is commonplace or not.
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys must've had the economy procedure. A nurse shaved me. Laughing
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swass, Did she do any kind of pre-treatment prior to the shaving?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/J65G_yo8D3I[/youtube]

Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a male nurse, and he did a dry shave. Crying or Very sad
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch Shocked
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shoooot...I didn't feel a thing. Smile
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But show me someone putting a needle into a vein, and I hit the floor.

Brings back bad memories of the junkie days, eh?
Mr. Green

ohsix

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2015 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the waiting room right now. Any post appt tips from the pros? I should be spermless within an hour (plus the suggested 12 weeks).
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2015 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely take it easy for the next day or two, and ice down at least today.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2015 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will feel great tomorrow. Your balls are telling you a lie. Take it easy you will be way more sore Saturday. Ice it down good enjoy the weekend watching football and having your wife get you everything. Wait 2 weeks before riding your dirt bike.

Also that gun is still loaded for at least 6 more shots.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vette74 wrote:
You will feel great tomorrow. Your balls are telling you a lie. Take it easy you will be way more sore Saturday. Ice it down good enjoy the weekend watching football and having your wife get you everything. Wait 2 weeks before riding your dirt bike.

Also that gun is still loaded for at least 6 more shots.

^this

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2015 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously, stay off your feet the rest of the day. bag of peas off and on your sack the rest of the day. Also, there will be bruising. don't freak out.

And that gun is loaded for at least 6 - 8 more weeks.

ohsix

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2015 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The procedure wasn't bad. Worst part was the numbing shots. I've been sitting/laying down since getting home and alternating ice on/off every 30 minutes. The doctor gave me a rx for pain medicine after the procedure. I wish he had done that before. I'm not in much pain just a light "kicked in the nuts" type of pain. The pre-procedure paperwork said to wear a jockstrap. That's a poor suggestion as it squeezed the stitches and caused some pain. Snug fitting underwear feels better.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 09, 2015 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
Also, there will be bruising. don't freak out.

This is true you just thought you have had blue balls before Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: