Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

What I'm into now
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: What I'm into now Reply with quote

Banging dudes.

JUST KIDDING

I used to be into JUST wakeboarding, pretty much. But I haven't strapped on a board in literally years.

I am into the following now, and was wondering if anyone had any interest in this forum in these things now that it's been years for some of us on here:

Golf- Just started playing. Hated it the first two times, but not I can't seem to get enough. I'm still a beginner, but I'm addicted

Sporting Clays: because something had to suck up all that money I was saving on not having a boat.

Motorcycles: I ride to work almost every day, and am working on rebuilding a honda cb750 from 1980.

I got two kids now and a third due in a month, so I'm pretty much with them when I'm not shooting sporting clays or golfing. Or riding.

I also have developed an obsession with Viberg and White's boots.

What are you all up to for fun nowadays?

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wakeboard a few times a year and I have one kid, who keeps me on my toes.

My big thing now is cycling. I am trying to get up to 100 miles a week. I knock out 40 - 50 miles every saturday morning. I'm going to do a 100 mile ride in September, which is not bad. My goal is a avg. speed of 20 mph for the ride.

Other than that, just getting back into working out again and getting in shape.

ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I strap on a wakeboard once or twice a year. I typically surf the other 5 or 6 times a year that I get behind a boat. I've been flying on and off. I bought a T182T in January and try to fly somewhere once a week. I've only been about 50% successful with that goal. I'm slowly working on my IFR rating and plan to get a TBM 850 once I have my IFR. My main hobby is riding and racing dirt bikes, but that slows down May-September because of the heat.

Neognosis, are you still into your shaving hobby? Congrats on the child coming along. Did you work things out with your wife or is this with someone else?
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take you to cycle 40 miles during your saturday morning ride? Are you doing that in 2 hours?

I bought a house in the "village" of the town that I live in, so everything is within a mile or two, so I've been walking to the store and stuff more, but I am thinking about getting a cruiser, complete with panniers and a basket on the handlebars and everything, for grocery runs and stuff so that I never have to take the car.

Much pricier and complicated than I thought....

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total time is 2.5 to 3 hours depending on the wind. We take a 15 minute break at the half way point. Re-fill water bottles and eat a snack. Right now, the group I ride with cruises around 24 mph. I can hang with them for 12 or so miles before I have to drop to the slower group at 21 mph. I do the first 20 miles in a pace line to work on speed. I do the last 20 alone, so I go around 18 - 19 mph (no wind).
churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis, love all those things. I golf quite a bit, but don't get to shoot clays as much as I would like. I also sold my street and dirt bike, so I guess I am pretty much done on the cycles....... at least for now.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Golf, and hanging in the pool. And far too much time down at the mouse house in SoCal.

I got to play 36 over in Bermuda a couple of weeks ago. Definitely awesome playing there.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SWEET.

I'm playing 9 holes after work tonight. Looking forward to it. Got myself a better driver that has improved my still piss-poor driving game as of last week...

Who makes your clubs?

RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been shooting a little skeet, we have a White Wing electric thrower at our place in the country that I have been really impressed with. Also, getting my wife into offshore fishing this year. Here's her first tuna on an overnight trip a few weeks back.

IMG_1373.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  217.3 KB
 Viewed:  12086 Time(s)

RIP M.H.Legge
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis, most of my stuff is Taylor Made. I've got a Burner driver, and a modest set of Burner 2.0 irons.

I use my cheap-ass Tommy Armour hybrids a lot though. For a budget club, they hit great for me.

I need to spend a LOT of time repairing my driver shots though. When I hit it, I hit the snot out of it. Problem is I slice badly far too often. It's something I'm likely going to get pro help with soon, and spend lots of time at the range training it in. I tend to bring the club too high, and do so without even thinking about it.

If I can get my driver right, my pops and bro will never be able to keep up LOL.

eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to be that guy, and I certainly have my own set of swing flaws. Cupping your left wrist, swinging above the plane, and flexing your left arm set you up to slice/push two of which in my opinion are commonly refered to as one in the same.

callawaypreowned.com

I have got my last 2 sets of irons(used) here for great prices. I have bought "fair" condition and they are fine(practically new). Unless you are the guy who has head covers for every iron and worries about bag scuffs on shafts.

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too many things to do, not enough time….which seems to be monopolized chasing kids to their events. Truth be told, I love doing that as much as anything.

I’m on the ice a couple times a week playing hockey.

I get on the bikes when I can, but spend more time commuting on the roadie than “fun rides”. I’ll get more saddle time now that the weather is stable.

Will spend this coming weekend on the lake, assume we’ll get out a couple times a month between now and the end of September.

Love to golf, but if I get out 1-2 times a month, I’m doing well. The Little One had a set of sticks delivered by Santa, so she's always pushing to get out. Did just win the University of Utah Hockey Tournament scramble.

Love to flyfish, do it even more infrequently than I golf.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spending almost every weekend at our river house and wakeboarding or fishing. I am really getting into bird hunting again I got a GSP and I am training her almost every day. I just got done fixing up a house, moving into it. Then fixing up my old house that I sold and it finally closes today. Started working on my 74 vette again and bought a new motor for my 68 camaro the other day. Raising 3 kids and getting them involved in all types of fun stuff.

Did you patch things up with the old lady or is the new one with someone else?

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, its a muscle memory issue for me. I get set up right, and when I swing its just too late. I've got to train it out of myself.

I've perused that callaway pre owned site before. Some good deals there to be sure.

I got my Burner 2's as a 2012 model, so I paid under 300 for them. I figure they should suit me well for a while. They were certainly an upgrade from my previous irons which I think were 20 years old. Those TA hybrids though... for right now I just hit them too well to think about getting something "better".

eeven73

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, Wink me too. The only reason I posted those comments was because you said you were considering "help".
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I think that was addressed to me, so I'll answer.

I got separated four years ago, divorce was final a year and a half ago, got remarried to my daughter's mother two weeks ago, new baby with my wife due in a month.

I'm driving with a Nike Sasquatch, or something like that. Got it used for 30 bucks. I'm trying to focus on form and not developing bad habits, and I'll worry about power later. I've a smallish frame, so I think I'll have to hope power comes from proper technique, since I don't have the brute strength or swing speed.

vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis wrote:
Quote:

I think that was addressed to me, so I'll answer.

I got separated four years ago, divorce was final a year and a half ago, got remarried to my daughter's mother two weeks ago, new baby with my wife due in a month.

Congrats!

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

All I care about now is that my kids are healthy, well fed, and well sheltered.

Everything else is a distant second.

Man, golf clubs are WAY more complicated than I thought.

eeven73

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distance does come from speed. Form is critically important. I know that in my conscious brain, unfortuantly for me and my scores my unconscious brain takes over mid swing. It is thinking, KILL THAT MFING BALL!!! Laughing

Put another way Martin Kaymer is 6' 165lbs. Not exactly a mountain of a man and he averaged 305 driving at the US Open last week.

Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up some ping g25's and I really like them.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:
Distance does come from speed. Form is critically important. I know that in my conscious brain, unfortuantly for me and my scores my unconscious brain takes over mid swing. It is thinking, KILL THAT MFING BALL!!! Laughing

Put another way Martin Kaymer is 6' 165lbs. Not exactly a mountain of a man and he averaged 305 driving at the US Open last week.

Just be happy that you don't have a Charles Barkley "unconscious brain" mid swing hitch.... Laughing

I think even more impressive with the PGA driving stats, they are doing it mostly at sea level. When I played in Kauai(my only experience at sea level), I could not believe how much distance that took off my game.
eeven73

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Point.

I have been to several PGA events and it is more impressive in person. God they crush the ball. You stand there and watch them drive and you expect the ball to be decending and it is still ascending.

churchy

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 7 year old daughter is getting to be a pretty good golfer. This is great for a number of reasons. The best short term selfish reason being that Dad needs to take her out.

Looking forward to playing in my clubs member-guest tourney all weekend.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get behind the boat much anymore. I do hit the cable a bit and still kiteboard quite a bit during the windy months.

I've been doing a little hunting here and there. Mostly going after hogs. Some whitetail on occasion. All have been easy single day (night) hunts. Id like to get into some longer pack in hunting. Ive got an itch to get into bowhunting. Havent shot a bow since college. Is this going to hurt my wallet?

Been hiking\camping alot. Nothing too hardcore since my family is way young (two boys 5 and 2, and a daughter who is 7wks). I'm enjoying it and hope to get more into it as the kids grow.

Been riding the mountain bike again this spring. Wouldnt mind getting out to some new trails.

Still playing basketball. I just sold my soul and joined an over 40 league. We will see how that goes. I still play in the topgun league too. Seems as soon as I am ready to walk away from it, I hit a streak of really solid play and it sucks me right back in. I'm scared she will always be my mistress.

As a guy who loves sports, loves challenges, and loves being outside, I'm sad to say that no matter how many times I've tried to love it, I cant seem to get into playing golf. I love the idea of golf, but even when I play well for me, I just don't enjoy it all that much. It frustrates me because that's what guys my age do and I'm whipped to death by it.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
eeven73

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr,

IMPO

Golf=Check your Ego at the door. Or you will be miserable.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, It certainly can be humbling! I don't really mind that. I participate in many activities that I suck at (softball, biking, running, skateboarding, etc) but I have a blast doing them. For some reason, golf just never captured my interest. I'm not frustrated when I'm playing. I'm more disengaged and bored. I wish it did interest me, it would make getting together with old friends much easier, not to mention family gatherings.

The other one that never captured my interest at all is skydiving. I've been invited so many times but I just don't see the fun in it. I get the, "you would love it! You do all these 'extreme sports', its right in your wheelhouse!" I know it should be, but it just isn't.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been enjoying learning more about being self sustaining. Gardening and canning have been the key elements.

The boys are at the age that we can do some fun projects together, which we've done. We have also enjoyed spending time with them shooting.

This year was the first year hunting with the boys and I'm looking forward to many more to come.

My wife and I have been able to have a little more free time together with the boys in various activities and old enough that we can leave them home alone for a bit. I've enjoyed the renewed hobby of being able to "date" my wife a little more. Mr. Green

churchy

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr wrote:
Still playing basketball. I just sold my soul and joined an over 40 league. We will see how that goes. I still play in the topgun league too. Seems as soon as I am ready to walk away from it, I hit a streak of really solid play and it sucks me right back in. I'm scared she will always be my mistress.

I'm with you.. I keep wondering when my last year will be. The knees have felt better and I have probably been playing my best ball in 10 years.
microman

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What I'm into now Reply with quote

Neognosis wrote:

Golf- Just started playing. Hated it the first two times, but not I can't seem to get enough. I'm still a beginner, but I'm addicted

IMO this is the most enjoyable time for golf since you can make a lot of progress fast and that feeds the addiction.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

churchy wrote:
jason_ssr wrote:

I'm with you.. I keep wondering when my last year will be. The knees have felt better and I have probably been playing my best ball in 10 years.

My style has definitely changed. I used to just try to out-athlete everyone on the floor. I was able to do that until about 35. Now it's much more about playing smart and taking what they give me. I win a lot of games, but I'm bored by just being less dumb.

I used to love when these young punks would talk trash and the old white guy could humiliate them in front of their friends. I just don't have the hop to do it as easily as before. Embarrassingly enough, that was a big part of enjoying basketball for me. It's not as fun without the wow factor. Then, I hit a stretch where I'm shooting well and situations lend themselves to do some cool stuff and I'm back in love wanting work on getting my leap back. ...and this cycle has repeated itself for five years now.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
IMO this is the most enjoyable time for golf since you can make a lot of progress fast and that feeds the addiction.

I just played perhaps the worst round of golf since the invention of the metal shafted club.

But I still had fun and I had two good drives and a nice pitch onto the green, so at least that's something...

Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just graduated, so I've been working on moving on to the next page in my life, just a matter of figuring that out first. Mainly a lot of applying for jobs all over the damn country and theres been a couple out of country.

Other than that aspect, this summer I finally got back into tennis after not playing for years, considering joining a league when I move in a few weeks.

Saltwater fishing is still a big passion but I haven't had the time or money to do it much this year. Made it down to the coast in may and caught a few snapper out of season so we let them live another day.

Other than that same ole same ole, pool on the weekends, but now days it's with a lot less beer, and a lot nicer beer. I guess this is what growing up is?
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wakesurfing is pretty much all I do behind the boat now. I really enjoy going out later in the day. Avoiding all the lake traffic. Just hanging out with a small group of people and having a relaxing night on the water.

I have started smoking in my weber smoker.

Guns. buying, trading and selling. And shooting when I have some time.

Getting away as much as possible. I just like to get away from town more and more these days.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2014 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flix - you have a WSM? love mine. i try to fire it up twice a month.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flix, you FFL?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Add To Favorites

Jump to: