Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Iraq 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Webster

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would we do that now?

Reagan and Rumsfeld spent a lot of time and money secretly keeping the fight even, why wouldn't we just do that again?

Plus, Iran and Iraq, currently both under Shiite power, have not combined at this point to do something sinister.

I say, if Iran took over Iraq, (which is not going to happen), let them have it. Then they can deal with the constant insurgencies for the next 100 years, and then they can go broke instead of us.

Let them fight each other over there so they don't try to fight us here.

so, eeven, are you suggesting that the US recommit our forces to a new ground war and occupation in Iraq?

eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've told you what I suggest.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will never let Iran take over Iraq. Too much $$$$ involved with our private interests over there.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

microman wrote:
jason_ssr wrote:

You guys seem to forget what Iraq was about. It was about the risk of US made Sarin gas given to Iraq being used by AQ. Iraq itself was never a threat. We should have removed the Sarin in the 1st Iraq war. Instead we tried to do it as a UN operation in a ceasefire agreement. Iraq faulted on their agreement and we let it slide. After 9/11 we simply asked Saddam to allow the UN to complete their operation. He refused. So we went in. We should have just made our inspections and left. But no, we don't like bad press so we propped them up.

Wait, are you saying that the Iraq invasion of 2003 was about sarin gas?

Yes

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
microman

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr wrote:

Quote:

Wait, are you saying that the Iraq invasion of 2003 was about sarin gas?

Yes

OK then, facts be damned I guess.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

which facts?

Oh, the one where we spent over a year pleading with the UN to force Saddam to comply with the ceasefire agreement to have UN inspectors catalog and destroy the remaining Sarin?

Or where we demanded Saddam allow the inspections to be completed or we would use force?

or where we gave him 48hrs to leave the country so we could work with more reasonable leadership to get the sarin gas inspections completed.

After 9/11 the uncertainty of the sarin status was a risk, due to inspections not being completed. The fear was that it would be given to AQ to use against a mutual enemy.

microman

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr even the Bush admin didn't care about the old sarin gas that they found.

www.nbcnews.com/id/13480264/ns/world_news-mideast_n_africa/t/officials-us-didnt-find-wmds-despite-claims

Last edited by microman on Jun 17, 2014 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good to see some things don't change.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We didnt know the condition of all the Sarin prior to going in. thats why we when we ended the first war we asked for UN inspectors to resolve the sarin issue. They were kicked out. ...or do you not remember those facts?

Remember Colin Powell claiming that doing the UN dance gave Iraq opportunity to move the remaining functioning Sarin to Syria?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/09/2013916142939119643.html

This is what we were hoping to avoid by forcing compliance.

microman

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr wrote:
We didnt know the condition of all the Sarin prior to going in. thats why we when we ended the first war we asked for UN inspectors to resolve the sarin issue. They were kicked out. ...or do you not remember those facts?

Remember Colin Powell claiming that doing the UN dance gave Iraq opportunity to move the remaining functioning Sarin to Syria?

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2013/09/2013916142939119643.html

This is what we were hoping to avoid by forcing compliance.

Ostensibly, the 2003 invasion of Iraq was to remove WMDs that Saddam was actively producing and accumulating. And that he had nuclear ambitions and was trying to obtain uranium. And that the regime had ties to Al-Qaeda and would supply them with WMDs. Sarin gas may have been included as a WMD but it was hardly the context for the invasion.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 17, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We gave Iraq Sarin to use against Iran. When we engaged Saddam in the first Iraq war, you dont remember seeing all those chem suits our soldiers were wearing? it wasnt because of a rumor that he might be producing Sarin. It was because we gave it to him. As part of the ceasefire, he agreed to allow the UN to destroy the remaining Sarin. He then kicked them out. In 2003, all we asked of Saddam was to allow this to be completed. This would have ended our concerns for unaccounted for Sarin. He called our bluff and we were stuck.

Im not saying it wasnt a complete cluster. It was. Turns out unnecessary. The remaining Sarin wasnt used on US soil. It was a domino of bad politics starting with giving him Sarin, not taking it in the first war. Not insisting after he kicked UN out, and not going in in 2003, taking a looksee and bailing. I dont like how it turned out, but Im not foolish enough to say I dont understand why we did what we did based on what we knew at the time.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jun 23, 2014 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Rand Paul decided to comment. Cheney whipped out the "isolationist" moniker, as well.

Quote:
First, Paul addressed Dick Cheney's controversial op-ed in the Wall Street Journal, in which the former vice president harshly — and some say hypocritically — criticized President Barack Obama's handling of the crisis in Iraq.

"I think the same questions could be asked of those who supported the Iraq War," Paul said in an interview on NBC's "Meet The Press" that aired Sunday. "You know, were they right in their predictions? Were there weapons of mass destruction there? That’s what the war was sold on. Was democracy easily achievable? Was the war won in 2005, when many of these people said it was won? Um... they didn’t really, I think, understand the civil war that would break out."

On ABC's "This Week," Cheney responded.

"Rand Paul, with all due respect, is basically an isolationist," Cheney said. "He doesn't believe we ought to be involved in that part of the world. I think it's absolutely essential. One of the things I worried about 12 years ago and that I worry about today is that there will be another 9/11 attack, and that the next time, it'll be with weapons far deadlier than airline tickets and box cutters."

As he did in his op-ed, Cheney slammed the White House.

"The spread of the terrorist organizations is not recognized by the administration," he said. "The proliferation of nuclear capability and the possibility that it could fall into the hands of terrorists is not really being addressed at all. And I appreciate the problems we've got in Iraq right now."

Paul refused to criticize Obama's handling of the crisis.

"What’s going on now, I don’t blame on President Obama," Paul said. "Has he really got the solution? Maybe there is no solution. But I do blame the Iraq War on the chaos that is in the Middle East. I also blame those who are for the Iraq War for emboldening Iran. These are the same people now who are petrified of what Iran may become, and I understand some of their worry."

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2014 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like some of Rand Paul's comments in the article.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2014 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After doing some research and listening to the opinions of middle east experts who are NOT in politics, I believe this to be a conflict between Sunni and Shiite, with neither side being "the good guy."

Both sides have been attempting to wipe each other off the face of the earth for a long time, and the victors of WWI made it worse when they created Iraq. My opinion is that we should let them shoot it out between themselves until they come to the solution, which I believe to be a three state solution.

I don't think ISIS is coming to US soil or attacking the US anyplace except the middle East any time soon, nor do they have any intention of doing so. I also think that the news media has done a very poor job of reporting the situation accurately. I watch mostly Fox news, and I have heard them talk about "Isis heading for baghdad?," "is it just a matter of time before they are in Baghdad?" 'ISIS taking city after city with little effort, "etc. etc.

What they fail to tell us is that the cities they have taken were Sunni majority cities, and that if they went into Shiite majority Baghdad, they would be massacred. So, they are not the juggarnaut that the news wants to scare you into thinking they are. A more accurate picture is that they are taking cities that are already sympathetic to them and not putting up much resistance.

I watch those who are advocating strongly for a return of US combat forces to Iraq, and they seem to be the same ones who told us that our soldiers would be greeted as liberators and democracy would spring up like a garden. They also seem to have a lot of ties to industries that make a lot of money when we are at war or occupying a hostile country. They also make some misleading statements, and seem to be banking on americans being ignorant and not understanding how complex the situation is there, or who is fighting who.

this is a civil war between two sects of Islam. This is not a war heading toward the US. We should do absolutely nothing.

Porterwake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole thing the USA needs to be kept out of because its the Iraqis fault this happened. Who didn't see this coming?

First of all, Maliki was democratically elected as a Shia (ha, no way, in Iraq?). Isn't that what we wanted? Democracy? So we have Shia pretty much in control of the country and they aren't letting Sunni's have any say. So the Sunnis I'm pretty sure tried to make term limits on the PM. The courts threw it out.....I'm sure making the Sunnis very happy Rolling Eyes

This is what you get. Sunnis make up like 95% of all Muslims I think and we have a country controlled by Shia. What did you think was going to happen?!?! This is what happens when you put Democracy in the hands of Islam, much less ANY country in the Middle East. it won't freaking work.

So now that Iraq has democracy and the country people are pissed, NOW we're supposed to go back in and make it our problem? The only way to subdue these barbarians in the Middle East is a dictatorship. Saddam is looking like a peacekeeper right now.

And to every one of you who would be in favor of sending our young men to DIE for this bulls#!+, you should be ashamed. Shame on you. Shame on John McCain and shame on every neocon suggesting we send our boys back in to die for this crap.
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2014 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

87-89%

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shia%E2%80%93Sunni_relations

But your point still stands.

However, Shia are the majority in Iraq.

It is an old trick to put the minority in power to keep a tenuous balance.

I believe that the Bush admin was aware of all of this (nobody could be this ignorant or ignore scores of experts) and they intended to occupy Iraq for a century or so. Making a lot of money along the way.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2014 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
They also seem to have a lot of ties to industries that make a lot of money when we are at war or occupying a hostile country.

This pretty much sums up several of our last "wars". The Military Industrial Complex is a big business, and quite the money maker.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Shame on you. Shame on John McCain and shame on every neocon suggesting we send our boys back in to die for this crap.

Agreed. It isn't just the neocons suggesting we go back over there.

Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2014 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the old cons as well.

Either ignorance or deception. I'm not a fan of either in my elected officials.

It SEEMS that public opinion is leaning toward "Hell no" this time.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jun 30, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neognosis wrote:
It's the old cons as well.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In hindsight, what would the total savings be today if GHWB would have just wiped the map day 1 of Desert Storm?

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr, interesting thought.

I think it would be very hard to say, mostly because we don't really know what would have happened in the power vacuum that would have followed. Probably the same BS they are dealing with now, just with a lot less of our blood and $$ spent on it.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Neognosis
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys might find this interesting:

http://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/us-soldiers-dated-rant-to-iraqi-police-more-relevant-th-1596285483/+damon

NSFW due to language.

Apparently, a rant at some iraqi cops by a US soldier around 2008.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
jason_ssr, interesting thought.

I think it would be very hard to say, mostly because we don't really know what would have happened in the power vacuum that would have followed. Probably the same BS they are dealing with now, just with a lot less of our blood and $$ spent on it.

Exactly! I'm thinking to cost savings for us would be a pretty staggering dollar amount and an un-quantifiable savings in life. Similar to the projections of WW2 had we not dropped the bombs on Japan. They estimate we would have eventually won via attrition in 10 years.

IMO, when we decide military action is necessary, we should use max force (at least max conventional force) and eliminate the entire theater. I think the "just enough" mantra of the Bush's, while noble in its humanitarian efforts, cost us unnecessary life and dollars in the long run.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the "just enough" mantra of the Bush's, while noble in its humanitarian efforts, cost us unnecessary life and dollars in the long run.

I'm not sure that is exclusive to the Bush's...it seems the PR way of war since 'nam.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: