Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Bayliner 1851 and wakeboarding

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midouille

PostPosted: May 11, 2014 1:38 am    Post subject: Bayliner 1851 and wakeboarding Reply with quote

Hi everyone,
I am new to the forum, and I am the owner of a 1992 Bayliner 1851 CB, with a 4.3L Mercruiser - Alpha one engine / Stern drive.

I have been trying to use it for wakeboarding, but it has so far proven difficult. On start, the boat tilts quite a bit and does not gain speed, until it moves to planning. Before planning, I don't have enough speed to wake properly, after planning it is too fast - there is no in between.

Can anyone tell me if you have had similar issues, and whether any of the alternatives below would help:

- Change propeller from a 3 blade to a 4 blade / 18 Alpha from Mercruiser
- Install trim tabs, such as Bennett's SLCs?
- Use ballast bags to put more weight in front?

Thanks for any tips & advice, or any other suggestions!
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: May 12, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes, move to a 4 or 5 blade prop. What is the pitch on your 3 blade?
2. No, the trim tabs will ruin the wake
3. Yes, this will help as well. But before you do that, are you currently running with ballast? If so, how much (lbs) and where are you putting it?

midouille

PostPosted: May 12, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pet575,

Thanks for the input - very helpful! My current prop is a Mercury 13 1/2 x 23 three blades.

I was thinking about a Mercury Alpha 4 blades, 14 1/2 x 18, but of course need to first test max RPM with my current one before deciding...

Currently I am not using any ballast, and I though of putting some in the front to avoid the boat to tilt too much, while leaving the family at the back to help the wake - not sure of the result though.

Any further thought is welcome
Very Happy
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: May 12, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recommend getting as far under 20 on the pitch of your prop as you can under your RPM range.

Put everyone/all weight in the bow. You'll do better putting all the weight you can in the bow and then adjusting the foam/lip on the wake by using the trim.

Make sure everyone is evenly balanced on each side to avoid tilt. Also make sure you are heading straight before throttling up to get going.

Check out the "Improving your I/O" thread here. It will take awhile to read through but you'll get good ideas. Lots of posts in there about setups similar to what you have.

midouille

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again!

Just wanted to give you some feed back on that one. After having changed for an Alu Mercruiser Alpha one, 4 blades, 20 - 14 (against my previous 3 blades 23-14), the impact is immediate and exactly what I needed.

The boat gets on planning much earlier at much lower speed, and I am reaching higher RPM as well (for a strange reason with my previous 3 blade, could not go over 4'200 when the max is meant to be 4'800...). Comsumption remains the same.

So overall a much better setup - thanks again for the tip.

Will see now whether I need to add balast as well.. more to come.
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 19, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound good. Ballast is not a matter of whether you need it or not. If you're happy riding with what you've got so far you don't NEED it.

BUT, once you get a couple hundred pounds of weight in the front, you'll see a difference and you won't want to ride without it ever again.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: