Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Brand new to this addiction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jsngnn22

PostPosted: Jun 03, 2014 6:40 pm    Post subject: Brand new to this addiction Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I am an absolute newbie when it comes to wakeboarding. My wife and I both got into it earlier this year. (I'm in Texas so we've been on the lake since March.) Since then we've been on the lake nearly every weekend. We finally have a hobby we can both agree on so I'm going to jump on this chance.
My question like I'm sure every other newbs is has to do with boats. I have a few I like, but would just like to get as many opinions as possible before I buy something. Here are a few that I've found around here:

2007 Rinker Captiva 192 with a Mercury 4.3 Alpha one- $15,000
2007 Sea Ray 195 with a Mercury 4.3. Also already has a tower, bazookas and some other extra goodies -$16,900
2006 Glastron 205 GX (I think it has the Volvo 5.0) $16,500

All these boats seem to be in excellent condition and well maintained, and I feel like they'll all move on the price some. I would really like to keep it around 15k or less for my budget starting out. We'll upgrade eventually but I don't want to go drop 40 grand right off the bat. Anyway, it's definatley overwhelming to wade through all the classifieds, so I thought I would just look for a little more input. Thank you all for your time and advice.
vette74
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jun 04, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go with an Inboard a direct drive or v-drive. It is best to skip the I/O phase you will get tired of it after a year. Look for mastercraft 205 or sport nautique. Or fly to California and get a Sanger V-drive that is what I did.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Jun 05, 2014 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for an old super sport nautique. Or mastercraft 205v - like 1999
jtryon
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly what these guys said--don't waste your money on an i/o. get a direct drive or v-drive inboard. a super sport or sport nautique with a tower, or MC 205/205v will do everything you want it to for years and years to come.
Krypt HLCD's
ACME 913
gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can tell you from experience jsngnn22 you came to the wrong forum to ask about those boats or any I/O for that matter.

With that said, buy the Glastron if you are set on one of those three choices. The V-8 engine will give you much better lowend torque for pulling and it's a great all around boat.

I just recently sold my Glastron GLX 205, and it served me well for years. I added a monster tower to it, and it served us well for wakeboarding, and tubing, plus it was a great boat for a day of cruising.
jtryon
Criminal
Criminal

PostPosted: Jun 06, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also keep in mind that if you want to wakesurf, you can't (safely) do it behind an i/o. if that's in your future, go inboard. surfing is a great low-impact alternative to boarding on the off-days, in fact i haven't even boarded yet this season after 6+ trips out because the whole crew wants to surf now!
Krypt HLCD's
ACME 913
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: