Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Makerbot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Makerbot Reply with quote

These things look really fun to play with. I have no real reason to get one but for some reason I think I need one.

has anyone used one of these? Is it real expensive to make 1 off items? Or are they really just toys?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. I think you should get one and report back. I am also interested in one. I'd love to print my kid hotwheels
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flixmaster, HP has announced that there will be "big things" on this front come summer.

I'm sure they are just going to build a cheap ass 3D printer, and bend us over on the cost of replacement cartridges, but still, I'm listening.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How durable is the stuff you make? Does it fall apart?

The scanner is impressive looking. To be able to drop one of my kids $4 plastic toys onto it and then "print" another version of it. that just seems to cool.

Can I create wakeboard fins or wakeskate nubs and then just send that off to get a mold created?

If I buy one I would like for it to pay for itself. I never though buying a cheap vinyl cutter would end up paying for itself in a week just cutting boat registration numbers.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
churchy
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some guys I work with have 3D printers. They built the printers themselves so they aren't this type of quality. It seems like it is more of a hobby at this point and takes a ton of tinkering. These commercial models may be better from that standpoint. I have a few things they have made on my desk. The parts I have don't seem to be very durable, but you could increase that with the resolution. The do-it yourself kind seem like too much work. You also need to be able to draw up (or scan) what you want to print. If I could eliminate a lot of this work with a scanner and a commercial printer, then it would be fun to have one. I know a lot of guys make money by printing other printer parts, toys, etc. There are a lot more people doing it now, so not sure you would make much money unless you found a niche.
pyrocasto

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My brother's work got a couple. They are fun to play with but definitely limited. They print in layers so you dont end up with a smooth product like you would like, but they are fun for tinkering. Would be fun for little kids who really dont care much, but more for prototyping projects. They are somewhat durable and dont fall apart though.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
taitrt
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Apr 01, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one. They are pretty neat if you like 3D modeling. If you're just going to print things that other people model they are definitely not worth it. The stuff that is made is very durable. I have a replicator 2, which prints in PLA rather than ABS, but the models are really strong.

I use it for our robotics club (I'm a high school teacher), and I've also printed a few things for home like a custom wall mount for my pentair pool remote. Overall they are very cool, but probably not worth $2000.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: