Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

New OK Gun Law
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"As far as the carjacking, if you feel the need to pull a gun instead of just handing over your keys then we have vastly different views on what a life is worth."

If you feel the need to allow someone to put you and your family in danger without defending yourself, then we have vastly different views on our own lives and the lives of our loved ones...
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember the last time there was a carjacking in my area. If someone wants my car, they are welcome to it. Are you going to ask them to wait a second while you grab your gun?
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:
I can't remember the last time there was a carjacking in my area. If someone wants my car, they are welcome to it. Are you going to ask them to wait a second while you grab your gun?

Me neither, whats the point?

If someone wants my car they are not welcome to it...if someone wants to threaten my life or my family they are not welcome to it

Of course I would ask them to wait Rolling Eyes
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:
jgriffith wrote:
smokedog2, well said

Not really. We're talking about a teacher being able to keep a gun in her vehicle. For the record that would not change one school shooting that has happened. Her responsibility in that scenario is to the kids in her classroom and if she leaves them to go to her vehicle, that will not end well. As far as them being the most assaulted profession, is she going to pull a gun on a 12 year old giving her $hit?

I'm all for people's right to protect themselves and generally have no issue with carry laws. I just think some of you need to move where you don't have to worry about dying on a daily basis. Watts sounds safer.

To me, this has nothing to do with school shootings and I don't even consider them with respect to this law. All this means to me is that teachers can now carry in their cars if they want to, even when they go to work.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:

They may want more than your car, like the rest of the family riding in it. Yes, already pointed out, statistics support the low possibilities of carjacking even happening, but there's nothing wrong with having a plan to handle it if it did.

I you choose not to arm yourself for an event like that or something similar, more power to ya. I'd rather take a more proactive approach and should be able to choose to do so.

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
They may want more than your car, like the rest of the family riding in it. Yes, already pointed out, statistics support the low possibilities of carjacking even happening, but there's nothing wrong with having a plan to handle it if it did.

What exactly is your plan? Do you ride around with your gun in your lap or do you keep it in the glove box? If someone comes up, sticks a gun in your face, and tells you to get out of the car, are you going to reach over and get it out of the glovebox or the flip up compartment in between the seats? Again, just wondering what the plan is?
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith wrote:
Me neither, whats the point?

If someone wants my car they are not welcome to it...if someone wants to threaten my life or my family they are not welcome to it

Of course I would ask them to wait Rolling Eyes

That there are a lot more risks to insure yourself against than getting carjacked in most areas.

As I said before, if you're going to pull a gun over someone taking your car, then we're operating from two different sides of the fence.

I believe I also said before that I have no issue with the change to the law and used to keep a handgun in my vehicle. I don't see the point any more, but you can do what you want. I think me and my family are safer without me having a plan to pull a gun in certain situations.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:
Okie Boarder wrote:

What exactly is your plan? Do you ride around with your gun in your lap or do you keep it in the glove box? If someone comes up, sticks a gun in your face, and tells you to get out of the car, are you going to reach over and get it out of the glovebox or the flip up compartment in between the seats? Again, just wondering what the plan is?

The plan is easy access...the glove box would not be easy access.

jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Mar 17, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:
I don't see the point any more

Probabilities are slim. If its harmless to carry and never use it, and harmless to not carry at all, but there is an ever slight chance it might save you and your family, then whats the point of not carrying?

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jason_ssr wrote:
then whats the point of not carrying?

Risk management. You are 100% less likely to have an accidental discharge of your firearm if you are not carrying said firearm. Wink

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

+ the fact everyone is sure they are Dirty Harry right up until the moment they actually have to pull the trigger. **

I personally know of two incidents where people pulled gun and chickened out. All it takes is a millisecond of indecision and you have a big unknown variable entered into the equation.

Then also there is the fact you are going to be judged after the fact by the authorities. Officer shows up writes up a poor scene report, DA decides to charge your going to spend many many thousands of dollars to defend your actions.

**above represents hyperbole to make a point.

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, accidental discharge? Really...these are the things you worry about, ok
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez wrote:
jason_ssr wrote:
then whats the point of not carrying?

Risk management. You are 100% less likely to have an accidental discharge of your firearm if you are not carrying said firearm. Wink

LOL, you are also 100% less likely to defend yourself with said firearm if you dont carry it. haha!

eeven73 wrote:
I personally know of two incidents where people pulled gun and chickened out. All it takes is a millisecond of indecision and you have a big unknown variable entered into the equation.

Then also there is the fact you are going to be judged after the fact by the authorities. Officer shows up writes up a poor scene report, DA decides to charge your going to spend many many thousands of dollars to defend your actions.

Were these CHL holders?

For the normal CHL holder a gun would never come out unless they thought they were about to lose their life or families life. At that point, what do you care about how you are judged if you saved your child? It is my experience that Dirty Harry is a bit like the Loch Ness monster. He gets alot of consideration without actually being real.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Mar 18, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes they are CHL. I understand the first rule is," only take it
Out if you are going to use." I know they both had that training, I also know one hesitated at the moment he should have fired. Tha one actually ended up in a physical struggle and the gun discharged. Miracle nothing/no one got hit.

All that being said I am not saying don't carry I have said all along I am for gun right and CC.

Personally, I feel there is too much risk so I don't. Also, I don't think people are honest with themselves in regards to there capabilities, physical and emotional, should the stuff hit the proverbial fan.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 19, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73 wrote:

Personally, I feel there is too much risk so I don't. Also, I don't think people are honest with themselves in regards to there capabilities, physical and emotional, should the stuff hit the proverbial fan.

this

Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lowell

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems pretty simple to me If you feel safer without a gun then don't carry one . If you are afraid of what might happen by even owning one then don't buy one. Gun owners never insist that everybody arm themselves. Its only the anti gun following that insist others disarm so they can feel safer. Gun free zones are breeding ground for crime the only ones that are safer are the criminals.

In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council unanimously passed a law requiring heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.

The ordinance states the gun law is needed to "protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."

"People all over the country said there would be shootings in the street and violence in homes. "Of course, that wasn't the case."

In fact, according to city councilman Stephenson, it caused the crime rate in the city to plunge.

Kennesaw Historical Society president Robert Jones said following the law's passage, the crime rate dropped 89 percent in the city, compared to the modest 10 percent drop statewide.

"It did drop after it was passed," he said. "After it initially dropped, it has stayed at the same low level for the past 16 years."

How do you explain this?
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, an un-enforceable ordinance that was put into place when it was just a tiny rural town outside Atlanta. Yes, let's use that as an example.

Anyhow, the idea that it would cause shootings in the street and violence in homes is nonsensical. Almost as nonsensical as your statement regarding gun free zones. There is no data (other than anecdotal at best) to support either.

Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 20, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fact is it works they have almost No crime there. I think its because there are so many other locations with easier victims to be had. Some interesting facts about Gun Free Zones. Given the choice I would rather live in Kennesaw.

Gun-free zones are invitations to mass murder, gun-rights advocates argued after a lone gunman's shooting rampage at the Sandy Hook elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut, Friday left 20 children and six adults dead. John Lott, author of the controversial 1999 bestseller More Guns, Less Crime, said in an interview with Newsmax.com Saturday it is no coincidence that mass shootings with multiple victims occur repeatedly in designated gun-free zones such as schools, shopping malls, and movie theaters.

"The problem is, whether it is the Portland [Oregon] shooting earlier this week, or the Connecticut shooting Friday, or the Sikh temple attack in Wisconsin, time after time these attacks take place in the few areas within a state where permit-concealed handguns are banned," Lott said. "It's not just this year, it's all these years in the past. And at some point people have to recognize that despite the obvious desire to make places safe by banning guns, it unintentionally has the opposite effect."

The effect, said Lott, is to encourage a killer to believe it will be easier to commit the mayhem he has in mind in an environment where no one will be able to shoot back.
Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This just in as of last night.

Under House Bill 875, gun permit holders would be allowed to carry in bars and churches. They'd be protected from arrest if they accidentally bring a gun to the airport. And they'd face a simple $100 fine, rather than arrest, if caught carrying on a college campus. In addition, local school districts would be empowered to decide whether to arm teachers and administrators in K-12 schools.

The bill was passed .
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize that the evidence Mr. Lott is relying on is nothing but anecdotal, right?

And I hate to break it to ya Georgia... but bringing a gun to the airport is a federal crime and those who get caught breaking it will most certainly get prosecuted. The penalty for doing so "accidentally" is a year in a prison or a fine (or both). Not to mention confiscation of the firearm.

But CCW holders already know this, or they damn well should. IMPO a CCW holder who willingly or accidentally does this should be held to a higher standard and should be prosecuted to the max - they are required to know better.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just glad I live in a state that is making an effort to protect and preserve our Constitutional rights, rather than trying to strip them away.
Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But CCW holders already know this, or they damn well should. IMPO a CCW holder who willingly or accidentally does this should be held to a higher standard and should be prosecuted to the max - they are required to know better.

Is that the same higher standard we hold our Police, Judges and Politicians to?
The bill has more to do with the right to carry in places that were previously not allowed. I would support CCW holders to carry everywhere including Airports .
There is no doubt in my mind that having CCW holders present will only deter criminals.
The chances of a CCW holder commuting a crime using a gun is so small its not even a factor.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suprahunter, we are supposed to hold them to higher standards. The letter I wrote to the judge when my SIL's killer (former Jarhead, Sheriff, and FBI) was sentenced centered on this very point. I very strongly believe those who uphold the law should be held to the highest of standards if they break those laws. The judge agreed, and gave the maximum possible sentence. I realize this is not always the way it goes.

I'm not really concerned with CCW holders committing criminal acts - I'm much more concerned with their reaction to a crime or act of aggression. I also don't have a problem with a CCW carrying in the airport, provided they do not try to pass security with it. At current, under federal law, they may not carry in an airport at all, so that is what they must obey.

The state certainly has the right to enact laws regarding CCW. The feds have the right to enforce federal laws despite the local regs (any questions - see marijuana legalization). I'd strongly caution against any CCW holder trying to carry in the airport if GA does in fact pass this law. At best, TSA will just confiscate the weapon if they try to pass security, and they will be arrested. I don't even want to think about the "at worst" scenario.

Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not I think we agree on all the points you made above.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 21, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
I'm just glad I live in a state that is making an effort to protect and preserve our Constitutional rights, rather than trying to strip them away.

Thanks for the clarification.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 22, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to be of service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: