Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

New OK Gun Law
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: New OK Gun Law Reply with quote

A modification (HB 2329) to our Oklahoma Self-Defense Act has been authored and passed by the house. One of the changes allows permit holders to possess a gun, in a locked vehicle, on public school property.

My wife is about to start teaching and I love this idea. I didn't like the idea that she could not carry in her vehicle, if she wanted to.

I know we have some teachers and teacher spouses on here. Thoughts?

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you didn't like the idea of your wife not being legally able to carry(possess) a gun, in her vehicle, driving to and from work at a public school(assuming she wanted to)?

My thoughts, you worry about/think about some crazy chit.... It makes me shake my head, really, like I'm sitting here shaking my head....that you had concerns/thoughts about/worries...that your spouse couldn't drive to work with a gun in her car, so if the situation arose, she could possibly run out to her locked car, get her weapon and then re-enter the school to deal with said situation.

But hey, looks like Oklahoma is going to ease some of your worries....so you have that going for you!

Let it be known, I am not trying to be funny nor flippant.... It just floors me that people think about such things.... To each their own.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., same here. I think Okie and folks like him would be better off preparing to win the lotto, than preparing to deal with something else that has an absurdly low probability.

Okie Boarder, just curious, what is your biggest concern for her - what is the #1 thing you are arming your wife for?

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

E.J., yes, I did not like the idea that she couldn't carry in her vehicle, because she would be parked on school property which does not allow weapons at all. It isn't as much about her handling a situation at the school as it is her being able to defend herself while traveling back and forth, if a situation arose that warranted her to do so.

chavez, an attack against her (rapist, car jacker, etc).

So, it just isn't a big deal to you so the previous law wouldn't bother you?

E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder wrote:
E.J., yes, I did not like the idea that she couldn't carry in her vehicle, because she would be parked on school property which does not allow weapons at all. It isn't as much about her handling a situation at the school as it is her being able to defend herself while traveling back and forth, if a situation arose that warranted her to do so.

Do you have a lot of violent crime in the greater OKC area? Something that would warrant such concerns?

Truth be told, if I was living in a place that I worried about my wife and her ability to travel to and from work safely, without a firearm.....I'd move. Hell, if I had those worries....regardless if I felt "more safe" with her carrying a firearm....I'd move.

Again, crazy chit. Like you are sitting around thinking….”Man, my wife is going to go to work at a public school and it is illegal to have a gun locked in her car there. What if she was car jacked, or someone tried to rape her or something on the way to or from work….she needs to travel with a gun, but she can’t. Fortunately, looks like we’ll be good, thank God for the Oklahoma legislature!”
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<---- Pro gun rights.

I have had this arguement repeatedly with my wife. Personally I think woman(and frankly most men) are far better off carrying Mace/Pepper Spray. Assuming you are able to get to your weapon, There is a big time tendency for people to hesitate at the critical moment. So now you have a gun entered into the equation, Zimmerman for $100 Alex. I don't care how justified you feel you are in the moment people in authority are going to evaluate your situation, Monday morning quarterback for $200 Alex. That is a s-load of risk.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, our violent crime rates aren't high...that isn't our reasoning. We just like the idea of being able to defend ourselves if something were to happen. We don't sit around thinking and worrying about it, but would rather be able to carry or not carry at our discretion. So, when we heard this law was going through, we were happy about it.
NKCrider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: NKC

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my old highschool has roughtly 10 shotguns in the student parking lot on any given day during hunting season, maybe the senior class could take out the "threat"

Arrow Arrow

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeven73, I think those are reasonable considerations for people to evaluate. We should be able to evaluate them on our own and make a personal decision as to how we want to handle it, rather than being told what we can and cannot do. That's why I support these kinds of modifications to laws and would love to see it continue.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, and don't think making a school a "gun free zone" does jack stuff to avoid a Columbine, Lanze, Kinkle,..... type situation.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder, you NEED to start playing lotto. Like now.

Your wife's chances of being the victim of a sexual assault is something like 0.05% or less (nationally). Robbery is around 0.2%

As for a robbery or car jacker - F*CK IT give them whatever they are asking for. None of it is worth your life. You think pulling your gun is going to diffuse the situation? Good luck.

I agree with eeven73 on the rest.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed the percentages are low, but they aren't zero. The gun will be in pristine shape if those percentages hold true or remain at zero for us, personally. Mr. Green
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chavez, if CA were looking to pass a similar amendment to their existing law, would you fight it?
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder, I would not support such an amendment. Actively fighting it (other than voting), no.

Quote:
Agreed the percentages are low, but they aren't zero.

Dude.Seriously.Powerball.

Porterwake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the thought of all these people running to their locked cars, getting their gun out, and running back into the school. Laughing

I live 50 yards next to a troubled Indian Reservation, I live out in the woods by myself in a cabin next to said troubled projects, and I teach at a hick school full of crazy kids who are fully loaded. I myself own no guns. I guess I'm not scared to death of the world.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porterwake, each to their own, IMO. I don't think wanting to own and carry a gun means someone is "scared to death" of the world.
boardordie
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Piqua/Ohio

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off initial topic... not trolling or picking a fight here

chavez, from what I remember in past gun topics you're always pretty outspoken against carrying. Just curious since you've been personally touched by violent crime if you think someone carrying open or concealed could have helped your relative on that horrible day?

For the record I'm not a fan of CCW. I prefer that everyone open carries. I know immediately if someone is a potential threatand there's no guessing if I'm bringing a 2" pocket knife to a gun fight.
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prefer concealed carry. Why advertise to everyone (read:criminals) who is armed and unarmed. I'd rather be polite and assume everyone is armed.

RIP M.H.Legge
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardordie, would not have helped. It occurred behind closed doors at a home.

I prefer CC for the same reasons as RampageWake. If I see a non-LEO carrying I'm going to call 911 and ask questions later.

Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 12, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the ability to CC or open carry. In most cases, I would rather CC, but I can see some instances where it can bleed over into open carry and it's nice not to be limited.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have y'all seen the gun and fire extinguisher meme? I saw it the other day and made me think of this conversation.
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2014 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think TX law is similar to this one. It just keeps people who legally keep a gun in their vehicle from having to remember to remove it before going to a school. A law prohibiting such things wouldn't really affect criminal behavior.

I have a similar issue with companies being allowed to forbid licensed employees to carry in a building that is not 30.06 in TX (forbidden buildings like schools, bars, etc). They employer cant bring legal action, but they can fire you. I have a 2 mile walk between offices through downtown before dawn, and I cant carry for this reason.

Funny how probability is brought into the discussion as to whether one should arm themselves or whether they agree with allowing citizens to carry. The probability of being shot illegally by a legal CHL holder is even less than being shot by a criminal with your own gun. The unwillingness to protect oneself simply because the need for protection is unlikely, or the even more unlikely risk of it going wrong, astounds me. Its like the unwillingness to wear a seat belt. The chances of needing it are unlikely, but the potential for it to save your life is much greater than to potential for it to kill you. Yet there are many who say they don't believe in seat belts because of the risk of it trapping them in a car.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a permit to carry, I have guns, they rarely leave my house any more unless I'm going to the range. The chances of something happening on the road are so low, I don't see the point. Add that to the fact that something happening to you if you hand over the car/wallet/jewelry are even lower, I really don't see the point. You have more of a risk of your car getting broken into and your gun getting stolen than you do of ever needing it.

I may get robbed and die tomorrow, but I'm not sure me having a gun in that instance is going to help. At least if I'm at home and someone comes in, I'm on my home turf and stand a chance. If I'm on the street and someone comes up on me, I'm sure as hell not going to escalate the situation at this point in my life by pulling my .45.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 13, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also amazed at some of the $hit you ponder, come up with, and worry about. Maybe I'm too busy, but between kids and work I barely keep up with what's going on any more. I can't remember the last time I watched the news or read the paper or got my panties in a wad over something the political windbags decided to do.

Moving through life with the rest of the sheeple isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.
dirtysparks
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if some kid finds out which teachers ccw in their car? Instant handgun for the kid that just broke up with their girlfriend or was beat up over lunch hour.
ohsix

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2014 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew wrote:
I'm also amazed at some of the $hit you ponder, come up with, and worry about. Maybe I'm too busy, but between kids and work I barely keep up with what's going on any more. I can't remember the last time I watched the news or read the paper or got my panties in a wad over something the political windbags decided to do.

Moving through life with the rest of the sheeple isn't as bad as some people make it out to be.

I feel the same way. My wife and kid left for the lake on Tuesday which is a 5 hour drive from our home. I worry about their safety on the road as far as a car accident. My wife getting carjacked or raped along the way never even crossed my mind.
smokedog2
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Cincinnati

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fire extinguisher and a life vest by law in the boat. Bunch of nut job wacko's. those that stand and fight protect those of you that submit and move. Teachers can now go to and from work legally armed. It's about time. Those that make fun of them fail to appreciate they are one of the most assaulted professions. Further, your worry of a kid in the car is far more what iffy.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Mar 14, 2014 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smokedog2, well said
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith wrote:
smokedog2, well said

Not really. We're talking about a teacher being able to keep a gun in her vehicle. For the record that would not change one school shooting that has happened. Her responsibility in that scenario is to the kids in her classroom and if she leaves them to go to her vehicle, that will not end well. As far as them being the most assaulted profession, is she going to pull a gun on a 12 year old giving her $hit?

I'm all for people's right to protect themselves and generally have no issue with carry laws. I just think some of you need to move where you don't have to worry about dying on a daily basis. Watts sounds safer.
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a non issue. The gun free zones are stupid. Gun in teachers car is not going to prevent a school massacre, nor is zomg!!! Zero tolerance! teacher had gun in car needs to go straight to jail!!
No big deal IMO.

RIP M.H.Legge
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a non issue. Teacher has gun in car no punishment whatsoever

No big deal IMO

brew, i feel safe where I live, but I also like to keep a gun in my car; it would be very inconvenient to be forced to remove it before going to work. Is it that hard for you to understand that some people like having a gun in their car...even if they do not live in fear?

And for the record I would most definitely use it if someone tried to car jack me.
buckthis
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2014 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" We don't sit around thinking and worrying about it"

Obviously you do!

brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith wrote:
This is a non issue. Teacher has gun in car no punishment whatsoever

No big deal IMO

brew, i feel safe where I live, but I also like to keep a gun in my car; it would be very inconvenient to be forced to remove it before going to work. Is it that hard for you to understand that some people like having a gun in their car...even if they do not live in fear?

And for the record I would most definitely use it if someone tried to car jack me.

I used to keep my gun in my car too. Then it got broken into and the gun got stolen and used in 3 armed robberies and a shooting. Now it seems pretty pointless to leave a gun locked in my car during the day.

As far as the carjacking, if you feel the need to pull a gun instead of just handing over your keys then we have vastly different views on what a life is worth.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'm not against it, I just think you guys worry about way too much. You should probably stay home wrapped in bubble wrap.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Mar 15, 2014 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What gives you the impression that I worry too much Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: