Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

School me on... Where to travel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: School me on... Where to travel Reply with quote

Taking a week long vacation with the bf in early summer (May/June). Totally open to suggestions for places. Need to do this slightly on a budget since were just changing places now so money we were saving went towards the new place. We're big into historical stuff (tours, old building, etc) and wine. Love the beach, but enjoy mountains too. Done the entire east coast of the US so nothing from FL-Maine. Thought about Napa but it can be so expensive. Thought about the DR but my sister is going there around then and I don't want to be near her.

Ready......go!
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. what's the story with the sister, cause i'm nosey.

2. what about the pacific North West? Portland / Vancouver Washington / Seatle. Beautiful country. You are near the coast and the mountains.

Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2014 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you seen the beach, I would do like a grand canyon/national park/redwood thing--to include Colorado!!!

have fun aubs.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an itinerary you guys would probably enjoy:

Fly to OAK or SFO, rent car, drive to Napa/Sonoma/St.Helena for 2 nights. You could spend weeks wine tasting here, but ask JR for some tips on which Wineries are best to hit and hit those.
    Leave Napa, hop on 101 cross the Gate, then hit 1 south to Carmel or Monterey. Spend the night.
    Leave Monterey/Carmel, head south on 1, stopping every single time you can. Hit Hearst Castle, take the tour. Spend the night in Cambria.
    Leave Cambria, head south on 1 towards Paso Robles - do more wine tasting (this is where the movie Sideways was located). Spend the night in Solvang.

If you want bonus points (and like historical landmarks), hit a Mission along the way (there are several near that route). Double bonus points if you rent a 'vert.

PS: yeah, you've seen the beach, but if you haven't seen the Big Sur coastline, you've not seen anything like this.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
eeven73
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to come to the PNW May-June will be a big gamble.

There is probably a 60-40 chance of Incredible weather(nights will be cool) or lots of rain(who would believe, right).

July,Aug and Sept are the times to be in PNW. Probably a 80-90 percent chance of mid 80's no humidity, no rain.

jryoung
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Man Jose

PostPosted: Feb 21, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's still a few wineries with free tastings in Napa/Sonoma. There are cheaper places to stay if you were to look towards Sebastopol, or Santa Rosa too.

Lots of wineries in the Paso Robles area which can be joined in with a trip down the coast. Much cheaper to stay too, but more remote so opportunities are limited. But I like Paso Robles, and San Luis Obispo (SLO).

For something really off the beaten path check out Lompoc and the Lompoc Ghetto. Basically, nearly everything is up and coming there and some ridiculous wines being made. No big showy estates, just awesome wine without the fluff. Buelton just down the way has some great wineries too. Not to mention that area is some of the prettiest wine country in the world, way prettier than Napa IMO.

http://www.lompoctrail.com/

STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Feb 23, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i was 15ish, we did a western trip flying into sfo for a few days then driving to yosemite. then we drove up to tahoe for a few days. then i think we drove up to reno to fly to vegas for a few days and see the grand canyon. you might consider some of that if you end up going west.

i just got back from a week on longboat key in FL. high 70s and sunny all week. it was great. it was snowing as we pulled into town late last night.

i think we're going to try to fly out to boston in early october and drive up the coast through maine and up in to nova scotia and coastal canada some.
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goofy - we won't go there. And 2 that's another thought.

Partyb - I've been to Colorado, Idaho - spent two weeks there and have done Yellowstone. Not a big national parks person. Can appreciate them for an hour or so but I check out after that.

Chavez - would loved to do Hearst. I like the itinerary but sounds like lots of time in the car. What's the distance between those?

Eeven - June is probably the most likely time. Maybe July but not Aug or later

Stphnsn - love Boston. My grandparents have a cabin on a lake in Maine. Beautiful in summer or winter. Have worn wetsuits while wake boarding on the 4th it was still so cold though!
Alter Ego
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto / Bala

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit Canada up...

Vancouver, Banff, Toronto, Montreal, Quebec City, Ottawa, Halifax....all amazing. If i had to pick one, the east coast is pretty awesome....
Cool

Alter Ego
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto / Bala

PostPosted: Feb 24, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

better stated....stay away from the middle of the country...everything else is great.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Feb 25, 2014 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aubs, max distance between points would be 150 or so miles from Napa to Monterey. But, it's a VERY scenic 150 at that. You'd cross wine country, Marin, the Golden Gate, out to Hwy 1 along the coast through Pacifica, Half Moon, Santa Cruz, south to Monterey. It's a fantastic drive. It only gets better the next leg down through Big Sur towards Hearst.

Just a sample of what you'd see on that 150 mile day:

The longest ride would be the trip back up 101 to the airport on the last day. Figure 3 hours in the car, not a big deal.

EDIT: I just realized, you are a history buff..... Well, what about spending a day in SF checking out the Presidio and Alcatraz?

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jason_ssr
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas, Tx

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fly to St Thomas, rent sailboat, island hop around the Virgin Islands. Some historic sites like the Mill on St John, but mostly just epic beaches. See the baths at Virgin Gorda, etc. Its a very small area, so when sailing from spot to spot, you are never under way for more than 30 min. Land is always well in site, and its all reef protected water, so its sailing for dummies.

My avatar is NOT a pic of me! HAHA!
rowlex
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: seattle

PostPosted: Feb 26, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live here in seattle.. guys are right on regarding weather. If you want warm we typically start getting real nice weather in July.

decent scenic adventurs. One thing I've always wanted to do but never have is take the clipper to victoria BC. 40-60 MPH ferry boat hydrofoil.
Chattwake
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Chattanooga

PostPosted: Feb 28, 2014 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've taken that hydrofoil to Victoria. It's pretty cool. Victoria itself is fascinating. I liked the china town area and the hiking that's available near to downtown.
LFADAM

City: New York City

PostPosted: Mar 10, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably not what you have in mind but just going to throw it out there:

Argentina is stupid cheap right now for Americans. Flights arent great but if you get a decent deal, you're looking at access to the best Malbecs youll find anywhere, history and culture in Buenos Aires, nice beaches if you want them, and great food.

When I say cheap...I had a sit down lunch in the CBD for $3.50 USD.

It would be a long journey for 1 week though
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Mar 16, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lfadaam - I was looking at Argentina! No joke. Malbecs are my favorite wine and the flight prices aren't really bad at all.

Alter - Spent 10 days in Quebec a while back and loved it. Would give me a reason to study up on my 8 years of French classes too...

Chavez & Jason - I've been to San Fran and loved it. Cali is at the top of our list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: