Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Building a home theater where to start
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Calgary

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Building a home theater where to start Reply with quote

I think Pyrocast? posted something on his home theater a year or so ago.

I've been thinking about this for a while now and we've decided that we are going to convert the games room into a home theater. I have a pool table in the room now and nobody ever plays pool anymore down there. I think it would get way more use if we converted the room into a theater room.

Those of you that have built a theater room I'd be interested in your experience. What you'd do again, what you wouldn't do.

Ultimately where did you start? Did you build a false wall to hide the components? build up some steps for the seating? ect ect.

I haven't gone as far as looking at components, I have lots of time to look at that, I do know I'll go projection though. I'm at work here so I don't have the exact room dimensions but it's roughly 14 feet wide by 20 feet deep, with a ceiling height of 9 feet.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski, false walls are great but might be more complicated that they are worth.

Do you have any pre-wiring in place?

Basically, you need a good A/V receiver, a good set of speakers, and a good video setup.

If you are going all out and building a stepped theater room, you should expect to spend a lot of dough by the time you are done. If I was going that route I'd want some pretty high-end stuff all around.

Personally, I'd set up a comfortable space (cushy couch/sectional, coffee and end tables to set food down) with a large LED-LCD (70" or 80" wall mounted), an xBox One or PS4, then deck it out with a complete in-wall speaker set and drive it with a midrange receiver from Onkyo or Denon, and house the components in a nice low media cabinet. Lastly, I'd have a Harmony remote to tie it together so anyone (read: the wife) can use it. Total budget for this would be about 5k, assuming I did the work if possible. If you've got to call in drywall guys to fix the holes you made or need other outside help, maybe 6-7k.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Blue22V
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Double Oak

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things I found -

1) Power outlets - Add as many as you can and put in a dedicated power line to your panel only for that room.

2) Don't hide the equipment in a room, build a cabinet in the front of the room to hold the equipment and VENTILATE it through the back and outside. Keep your equipment cool, and you will keep the room cool. A set of cabinets across the front of the room will allow places for kids to put sodas and snacks, and also be an easier way to change your channels and equipment settings.

3) When planning a projector - make sure you see the projector you want to use in a store and actually operating. the brochures are not always good indicators of the actual picture quality, and someone else may like a model you may not like when you actually see it in use. When mounting the projector, run good video wiring and use a 4 outlet box for power. You will always want to plug something else in that box.

4) Surge suppression - Make sure you put in a high quality surge suppression system. a small surge will deteriorate your equipment, don't spend the money on good equipment if you don't protect it.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no false wall.. ok

Power outlets.. check

I like the idea of the cabinet in front to put the equipment.

Chavez

I haven't figured out the budget. I'm meeting with a contractor tonight to get a ball park figure. The basement is finished, but I'm assuming we will have to take the room down to the bones possibly and re do the ceiling with different lighting. The room is long enough that I think we'd have to make a step for the back seats. The room would have to be completely wired. Not sure if I can get it done for 30k?

Equipment wise I'm not going crazy, I've looked at the B & W CT7.3's for my front three speakers. I can't afford the Mckontosh (sp) components so I'm thinking I'd go with Rotel. The ISP 1572 for the processor and something like a RMB 1555 for the power, it puts out 120x5 so I'd have to buy another small amp for the two side speakers.

Projection wise. NO idea Holy eff you can spend a lot. Can't afford the Runco. Maybe a JVC?.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can't set up a pretty bad ass ht room for 30k... well you should be able to set up something awesome for that. you shouldn't need to take it all the way down unless you are re-insulating (which might be needed with a full-on setup).

I'd never use that kind of HT setup, but I'm definitely interested in seeing your end product.

PS: love the B&W stuff. McIntosh is sick but likely over the top. Rotel stuff is definitely nice. Not insane expensive but top notch.

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

of the higher end stuff I think the Rotel stuff is pretty decent. I just don't know how much the room is going to cost. hardware I'm thinking 10-15k maybe???? That seems like a freaken lot of dough but I don't want to cheap out if i'm spending the money doing the room up.
pyrocasto
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski, holy crap man at that price you're shooting for the moon on home theater. Laughing I literally spent less than $2k on the projector, sound system, and media player together! Then only another $1600 on couches. The one thing I did "free" you might would hire out was cabinets. Front wall lined with them, and a riser for the back row of seating.

If you're wondering about more being better on equipment, that is not true. Research research research. I ordered everything online without seeing or hearing anything and I've been blown away.
1080 3d projector, DLP - Requires the battery opperated glasses but is double the quality of theater 3d.
Onkyo THX certified 7.1 sound system, can hurt my ears without losing quality. Absolutely love it for music and movies alike.
PS3 for media. 3d bluray, games, netflix, and streaming media from my computer. Hard to beat and I got a like new one for $120.

Sorry I havent posted a picture of mine since I finished it.

The riser for my back row.

Couple notes/sugguestions:
As mentioned ventilation of the components is important. I didnt ventilate mine and even with a speaker cloths door it overheated. Now the door stays open until I get the fan/controller installed soon. Also mentioned the room will warm up if not vented elsewhere.

I thought theater style seating was the only way to go, but I've realized I would have been just as happy with a sofa and foot rest.

Screens can be hundreds of dollars, but through some DIY research, white laminate makes a pretty good screen. I simply ordered a 5'x10' sheet of white melamine, and I love it. A touch of hot spotting in the middle, but only noticeable on bright scenes and when you're looking for it. Cost me $40

Sound proofing wouldnt be a bad idea, I would if I didnt have a drop ceiling(it's in the basement). There's a company that makes a green caulk type stuff. Squirt on existing walls, throw a new sheet of drywall up on it and it dampens the sound transfer immensely.

Get a univeral remote for EVERYTHING. Dont even need a $300 remote. $30 on amazon and mine controls my onkyo reciever, it has bluetooth to control my PS3, controls my projector, my HDMI switch, and my light dimmer.

Lastly look up charts on quality vs size. There is such thing as too big as I learned. I went 120" screen and I should have been closer to 100-110 max for the 10ft away front row seating I have.

Sorry this was long, I'd be happy to help with any questions I can.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Thanks for the info

What are your dimensions? I got the tape measure out.
15x20. 9 foot ceiling

How high is your step? Would you go higher? Can the back seats see over the front?

Haha. I told the wife 30k. I'm hoping i can do it for much less. I need to move a door for the spare bedroom so i have to account for that. New carpet and seats. Thinking half theater seats the other half big wrap around couch.

pyrocasto

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 11.5x23', then 5' in the back for a kitchenette, so I could use another 1-2 ft on the width idealy, but the length is good more than needed. The only reason I feel "squished" length wise is I'm putting a bar with stools along the back row of seats. Good place for drinks/snacks and extra seating if it gets packed.

The platform is 5.5'lx7.5'wx12"t. I think it's perfect height as it feels right with 1 step, gets the second row up high enough to see great even when reclined, and it puts me at the right height to tweak my projector without a stool/couch to stand on. Smile

I bought a couch and theater seat combo. I find the guys love the front row theater seating, and the girls love the couch to snuggle up on. Laughing

If you're a do it yourself type of guy, I would think you could knock this out for maybe 5-8k from the sounds of it, depending on your choices of equipment/seating. If contracted that could shoot up a good bit. Thankfully with a drop ceiling like mine stuff like running cables and wire is pretty easy.

Edit: One more tip, you may want to find some way of sound dampening your walls, and I dont mean sound escaping, but echoing. I'm really happy with my sound, but if you snap your fingers when it's quiet you'll hear the echo. Many people hang curtains(just like some movie theaters hang cloth), but there a many ways to do it.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pyrocasto, that came out great. I know being a cabinet builder is paramount to the finishes and the costs, but it just shows that this stuff can be done on a reasonable budget.

I'm guessing you ended up with the same thoughts I had on the couch vs theater seats. I think the purpose of the room has to be a main driver here - if you are pretty much only watching movies, ok, theater seating. But if you are going to use it to watch TV, sports, etc, you may want a "less formal" seating arrangement like a nice comfy couch/sectional. Do like your idea of having a bar behind the riser area - almost like having a sofa table back there - just adds room to put food and drinks which is a more the merrier kind of necessity in a media room.

My thoughts on the A/V equipment is similar to yours. More is not always better. I think the Rotel stuff bam is looking at is somewhere in the middle, but I know I'm just as happy with a good Onkyo or Denon receiver as I would be with a great Rotel unit. Same for the video equipment, there are a lot of options out there and the most expensive ≠ the best.

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are going back and forth with the seating. I think what we probably might try is go for a half moon wrap kind of big couch in the back and do four theater seats in the front. Or put the theater seats in the back... Not sure

Chavez, I'm a bit torn on the components, I have a nice Denon receiver downstairs in our TV fireplace hanging out area which sounds great. I think it's 120ish per channel 7.2.

I've had Rotel stuff in the past and it's pretty freaken nice. You notice the difference but is it really worth the extra cost? You're probably looking at least 2.5 times what my Denon runs for but the sound is nowhere near 2.5 times better...

Projection is really the hard one. The store i was in yesterday, it's high end. No way around that. Their cheapest projector I think is going to be 3500 bucks. The cheapest Runco is 6k? This is really the research I need to do because I honestly can't imagine needing to spend that kind of money when a 1500 dollar projector will be able to brodcast 1080 as well. Bulbs on a cheaper projector I'm thinking would be cheaper as well?

Screen, There's no way I can spend 2500 bucks on a white peice of material in a frame. I don't care what you say, my god you can buy a high end 60 inch LED TV for 2500 bucks. That cost I don't get at all.

Our ceililng is sheetrock/painted stucco. I think what we'll do is run a bulk head around the edge of the room and run the wires through that. I'm thinking we might do the star LED lighting in the middle and then do some LED lighting along the top of the bulk Head. I think the bulk head should break up some of the sound, along with the red curtains, wife wants em.

Still not sure how we are going to the built in Speakers... if we do actual cabinets or just build out the wall a bit? Pyrocasto, where are your speakers? Are they in the bottom cabinets?

eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to see but looks like left and right of screen
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jan 23, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's late, so i will post pics tomorrow. I have a dedicated theater room. I just finished putting it all together.

Drop your money on a decent receiver and a good center channel. I have the Denon AVR X2000. Plenty of power. Center channel is a B&W.

I picked up the Epson 5030UB. I'm really happy with it. It was easy to mount due to it having lens shifting or something like that. it basically lets you move the picture around if you aren't exactly in the middle of screen when you mount the projector.

I built my own screen. Picked up counter top laminate, glued it to plywood and put that on a frame. I'll post pictures of it tomorrow.

Oh, I almost forgot - my surround speakers. Monoprice in wall surrounds. i think they were $50 a pair. The cones are kevlar cones (match the B&W). They sound great and are actually rated pretty high.

Sorry if I rambled some. very long day.

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had klipsh in ceiling speakers in my last house, they were awesome
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy, that X-2000 is the successor to what I have (the AVR-1913). Looks like they added 4k but that's about it. They really didn't need to add much of anything, it's got everything you'd expect at that price point. Love mine.

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife found this screen 200 bucks vs 2500 seems more resonable
http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/110_screenDiagonal.html

My current receiver is the AVR 2312. i think it's about 3-4 years old now and it's been a good unit.

goodyboy what B&W did you go with is it the 7.3 series?

i don't want to spend a bunch of money on the side and back speakers. I do need something rated pretty high though if i go with the Rotel as it would be 120 per channel.

My wife really likes the fiber optic star looking ceiling. It's pretty pricy though... Anyone know if there's a more reasonable place on the net to buy this stuff?

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/6-1-2-3-way-center-channel-speaker/1290546.p?id=1218248252344&skuId=1290546&st=categoryid$abcat0205002&cp=1&lp=2

This thing is powerful. I bought my 15" sub on line. I'll find the name of it. AVS Forums highly rated it and they were spot on. can't beat the sub for $450.

pyrocasto

PostPosted: Jan 24, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put my center channel in the center cabinet up front, which I wish was a touch higher but still sounds great as is. Back 4 are just mounted on the walls.

This is my projector: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A2T6X0K/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Glad I went DLP, as I like the extra quality on the 3d. The brightness and quality are great, no complaints so far.

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 09, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i have most everything figured out.

We dont really have room for tower speakers that sit on the floor because my doorway is right next the screen when you walk in. I have to go acoustic or wall mounted. Acoustic screen is big dollars so we found some nice wall mounted speakers.

I was surprised at the components that we ended up picking as they were different than what i originally thought i would go with.
Epson 6030 projector
Cambridge avr rec and blue ray player
3 of the focal dome wall mounted speakers. 4 cambridge cube speakers for the back
2 10 inch focal subs

I was blown away at the sound the focal dome and cube speakers put out. We couldn't tell the difference to prefering the sound over the b&w paradigm totems and kef speakers we listened to. They aren't cheap but still cost less than half of what the b&w speakers cost.

We are still debating 110 vs120 for the screen. 120 inches at 13 feet away for the front seats seems to be huge. Not sure if bigger is necessarily better?

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bam - that is too big. I am at 106" at 14' away and it is on the edge of too big. Bigger is not better.

IMG_0993.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  147.07 KB
 Viewed:  31876 Time(s)

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from superbowl, sitting in a bean bag chair at an angle

IMG_1005.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  111.63 KB
 Viewed:  31875 Time(s)

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2014 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking bigger isn't always better as well. Most likely will go with the 110.

what projector do you have? that's looks like a nice picture

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epson 5030UB. its basically the same as yours, but from Best Buy
Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool I'd do the 5030 as well but when it's all said and done the 6030 works out to be roughly the same price with the extras that it comes with. Mounting bracket, two extra bulbs and two pairs of 3d glasses. Close to the same price to the 5030 and I'll eventually need all that stuff.

Everyone is sold out around here so I haven't actually been able to see the picture. I've seen ones that are said to be comparable though.

What do you think of the projector? Everything I've read says it's probably your best bang for your buck.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2014 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have a dedicated room that is DARK (see picture of super bowl), it is great. I play COD ghosts on it (hard as hell), watch sports, watch movies and have watched regular TV and all look good.

I will say that if the doors to the room are open, the picture is not as crisp as when the room is dark. But, i bought it for a black room.

What are you using for a screen? I built mine. That is white countertop laminate glued to 1/4" plywood on a 2x4 frame, hung on the wall using a french cleat, lag bolted to the studs in the wall.

pyrocasto

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bambamski wrote:

We are still debating 110 vs120 for the screen. 120 inches at 13 feet away for the front seats seems to be huge. Not sure if bigger is necessarily better?

I agree I would go with 110". I went with 124" and although it is freaking awesome I probably should have went 110" as well. The best quality is from the second row of seating, but I do like the feel of having the screen take up most of my field of view. Very Happy Laughing

I've excited to see this setup when you finish it up!

Bambamski
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 10, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jamestownhometheaterscreen.com/110_screenDiagonal.html

i'm going with this screen. Found some reviews from a forum the other day on them and everyone gave them very good reviews. I got a quote from one place i visited and they wanted 45k for everything from the projector to the wires. 20k in seats which i thought was very reasonable Rolling Eyes

they quoted me 3200 for the firehawk ve lux framed deluxe screen wall . 200 bucks from james town... think i'll save myself 3k

totem acoustic tribe 3 on wall speakers 5100
totem acoustic on wall bi polar surround speakers 2200
totem acoustic iw double 8 500w mount subwoofer amp 3000
10k in speakers... i don't think so hahaha

One thing i don't know about. Sales guy basically said i should be running a power line conditioner. Quoted me 600 bucks for the Monster HTS 5100 mkii ss. What is it? Do you need really need that??? I'm thinking not.

some people spend a lot of dough, this wasn't even the good stuff. I can't imagine what they'd sell you if you just said build me a room, money is no object. that 45k price had nothing to do with the actual build of the room, just components, seats and labour.

finkle
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bam wrote:
some people spend a lot of dough, this wasn't even the good stuff. I can't imagine what they'd sell you if you just said build me a room, money is no object. that 45k price had nothing to do with the actual build of the room, just components, seats and labour.

Haha. It makes going to the theatre and paying $10/ticket and $5 for a soda or popcorn seem cheap.

I've heard of power line conditioners. Idk exactly what they do, but I remember thinking they seemed important if you're running a lot of juice. My AV/electrician friend explained it and I was convinced it was a good idea. Sorry I'm not any help.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 16, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

never heard of power line conditioner. no idea what that is.

As far as cost - I spent $13000 on furniture, speakers and electronics. The room was part of the builiding of the house, but was an additional $12000. It is worth every penny. I haven't used it a ton yet, but I know we will over the years.

pyrocasto

PostPosted: Feb 17, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think PLCs arent needed, but I havent looked at spending 10+k on audio alone either. A good surge protection is enough for me, as my power doesnt fluctuate all that much to affect my equipment. Computers or home audio/video. No noticeable noise.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a Universal remote that I can use with the closet door shut, as that is where my components are located.

Logitech is always an option, but what else is out there that you guys have used?

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 18, 2014 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy, I really like my Logitech Harmony Smart Control, but they also have the Harmony Ultimate, which has the hub of the Smart Control but a more advanced remote.

The main reason why I'm happy with the smart control is the extremely simple remote. IOW - my wife can use it without complaints.

It's also great for being behind cabinet doors. The system is completely RF/WiFi, and the hub itself is an IR blaster, and it comes with one extension blaster as well (it also has one more open blaster port). It's all done online, with the exception of pushing the info to the device (you need to use their iOS/Android app to push the data over WiFi). So, once you put the hub in place, you shouldn't need to physically touch it again.

goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need simple for the wife. Want to watch TV - push one button. Want to watch a movie - push one button and use the PS4 controller. I'll look at the smart control. Thanks.
churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used a harmony 890 and it worked great behind the doors.. If I were to start over, I would consider looking at remotes that are iphone/ipad apps.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Feb 20, 2014 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

churchy wrote:
I used a harmony 890 and it worked great behind the doors.. If I were to start over, I would consider looking at remotes that are iphone/ipad apps.

Eh, the SmartControl hub is iphone/ipad/android, and to me it's OK. Certainly usable but it's just better to use the real remote in most situations.

But that's the beauty of it.... you can pick up the real remote and just use that, or you can use the app. Whatever floats yer boat.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: