Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Buying first boat! 1997 Ski Nautique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Formula50

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2014 6:47 am    Post subject: Buying first boat! 1997 Ski Nautique Reply with quote

First of all a short introduction...

Me and some friends are willing to buy a wakeboard boat. All of us are beginners, I would say. No tantrums or raleys, but no problems with wake to wake.
Now looking for our own boat...

Since we're from Europe, there aren't as much decent wakeboard-boats around as we'd hope. One of them caught our attention though.
A 1997 Ski Nautique 196:

Images are tiny, follow this link to see better ones:
http://www.botentekoop.nl/speed-en-sportboten/correct-craft-ski-boot-1997/1371399

We've done tons of research to see what would be the best boat within our budget (approx 10.000 USD). Obviously alle pre-90 SN's would be good.
But... hard to find out here unfortunately, or in bad shape.

This 1997 one looks like a decent boat that might be fun to start with. It has got the extra's like a tower and cover already, so that's a plus. Total of approx. 2200 hours on the boat.
Looks like the Ford 351PCM engine in my eyes.

But the main question would be: IS THIS A DECENT WAKEBOARD-BOAT?
Coming from 1997, it probably has the TSC 1 hull (correct?). Not as good as the pre-90 SN hulls, but would this boat put out a decent wake? As I said, no pro level, so let's say for intermediate riders, would this be any good? Or would we get fed up with it rather quick?

What would be the ballast we would need? We'd figure quite a lot probably, but not really an idea of the exact numbers.

Undoubtedly there are some of you who know lots more than we do, or have ridden one of these. Help us out please!
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Jan 17, 2014 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pass on this one, unless you ski more than you wakeboard. You'll want a better wake after one season, probably. Either try to find a Sport Nautique or a 2001. Though I know it's almost impossible to find a decent 2001 in NL. Most I've seen were totally fckd up.
Formula50

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2014 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be used purely for wakeboarding. You're definitely right about that last part you said.
These would be our alternatives (click to see bigger images!):

1989 Ski Nautique

Or this 1988 Ski Nautique:

Now that last 1988 SN looks pretty beat to me.
That 1989 might work, but still lots of work involved. Thinking about wakeboardtower, anti-fouling, etc.

Asking price for the first 1989 is about 8750 USD without trailer. The last 1988 would go for 7600 USD with trailer.

If I then compare these prices to what we would get, then the 1997 undoubtedly looks like the best choice I would say. Only problem, really the only one, would maybe be the small wake.

Wouldn't it be possible to weigh the heck out of that 1997 one and put out a decent wake? Let's say about 1200lbs in the rear and 600 under the bow…

What do you guys think seeing these older SN's now?
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're totally right in that that '97 looks like the best deal. It very probably is! You'll just never ever get a nearly as good wake out of it as the 2001's. Not even with 4000 pounds of ballast.

Then there's the issue with the wooden floors in the 2001's... If you just want to have some troublefree fun you're probably better off with the newer boat. If you want a good wake, either get a 2001 or keep looking for something different.

Did you have a chance to drive any of the boats yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: