Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Suitable wakeboards for cable park

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Toronto

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Suitable wakeboards for cable park Reply with quote

They recently opened a (small) cable park near our friends house so we're planning on hitting it up this summer. My husband has a question about suitable wakeboards..

What are your thoughts on boards when it comes to hitting kickers? He's looking to get a new board to use in the park and found a board with 2 removable fins on each tip. He's concerned about whether they'll snap off or will need to be replaced frequently. Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Very Happy
wakeboarder3039

City: Orlando, Fl

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those fins would definetly snap frequently. Most cable boards have no fins in the first place. You should look into one of them, boards like the ronix el Von videl or the liquid force peak. Those boards will come with tiny cable fins that most people remove.

Greg Nelson
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2014 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.

Most companies out there now are making cable-specific boards, so you're a pretty safe bet with any of those. Liquid Force has a "grind" base (featured on multiple boards), Hyperlite has their "Sintered" Enduro base, Slingshot boards all have great durability, etc. Most companies use cable durability as a selling point.

Regular boards are fine for the most part and actually hold up fairly well if you're not going to the cable every day/weekend. Just avoid removeable fins and take them off if you're hitting ramps/rails and you'll be fine.
b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonderful, thanks so much!!
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have mentioned, those aren't the only brands to look for. All the major board makers have some version of a cable board. Cable parks are becoming a MASSIVE business as cables pop-up across the country. Just keep an eye out for anything that says it's made with extra durability/cables in mind but even with these boards, it's a good idea to leave any removeable fins off.
b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2014 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I'll pass the info along Smile Thanks again!
shaggyboarder
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: ft. laud.... hook me up with a pull

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the new stuff from the main brands holds up pretty good to obstacles. Grind base flex boards are gonna be the most fun on rails... I would remove all fins to avoid getting hung up on rails... Molded fins are fine will just get worn down.
b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 18, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He ended up getting the Byerly Monarch board, but one of the previous years' models (2011 I think?)
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not cable-specific, but you definitely could have done worse in terms of durability so it should work well! I personally would have avoided molded-in fins like that but for a beginner cable rider it shouldn't trip him up too much, especially if he's more in to hitting kickers vs. rails.

As long as you're not hitting the cable hard multiple times a week, this should last a while. Have a blast!
b_girl
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - he'll be going no more than once a week, if that. I'm hoping to give it a shot a couple times as well this summer. We were having issues finding anything better within our price range - I'm on maternity leave right now so money is a bit tight!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: