Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

School me on.... Go pro's!!!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: School me on.... Go pro's!!!!! Reply with quote

Got a Go-Pro for Christmas and am super excited to go on some adventures and use it. Best places to take it and use it? Going to try it out this weekend, it is home charging now. Have no idea how to use the thing either so any insights beyond the instruction manual would be helpful.

Thanks guys!!!!! Smile
fish6942
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: School me on.... Go pro's!!!!! Reply with quote

Aubs wrote:
...Best places to take it and use it? Going to try it out this weekend

In the shower (|) Shocked
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2013 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We sold a bunch of those during the holiday. they are great cams. I gave two away to family and one went diving and the other cam went snowboarding. Great footage from both. There is some gopro edit software available from the gopro website. I would download that and see if that will make editing easy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2013 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on.... Go pro's!!!!! Reply with quote

fish6942 wrote:
Aubs wrote:

Or the sack!!! Exclamation

RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Dec 31, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on.... Go pro's!!!!! Reply with quote

fish6942 wrote:
Aubs wrote:

Well played, sir.

RIP M.H.Legge
pyrocasto
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: hendersonville

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on.... Go pro's!!!!! Reply with quote

fish6942 wrote:
Aubs wrote:

Laughing Laughing Just bought mine a couple months ago and I love it. Works great in the water or on land. One thing to keep in mind though, is sound obviously sucks with the waterproof case, so unless you are submerging the vented case works better. I just got a 3ft pole mount for mine, cant wait to try it. Also pictures are crap in low light, but can be real nice in good sun or on a tripod. It's pretty sweet to have that wide angle advantage when you need it.

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jan 01, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started selling the gopole products on boardstop this past month. The telescoping pole is pretty popular.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Blog Visit poster's website
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jan 02, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Hero2 but all the same stuff applies, I just don't know much about the technical bits that you can probably learn from the manual.

Best tip I can give it to take it anywhere and everywhere with you. It's so simple and fun to use (not to mention crazy small!) that it's not a hassle and you'll learn a lot quickly.

Finding good mounts is key. I've played around with a bunch and the ones I tend to use most are my helmet mount and my home-made pole mount. Other than that, the little sticky mounts are great and you can put them anywhere. I've got one stuck on the roof-rack of my truck to shoot time-lapse drives with and it's solid although I still tie a shoestring safety leash in case it pops-off at highway speeds but never needed it. I also have a suction cup but use that far less than I thought I would but it's pretty cool still the few times I've tried it out.

This was my first long edit after getting mine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdHKop39J8c
I only had my helmet and a pole with me and I didn't feel like I wish I had more or missed out on anything because I didn't have the right mount option. I also bought a case float and filled my pole mount with foam to make sure everything stayed on top of the water. GoPros sink like rocks so make sure you have adequate flotation if using in deep water (test it in a pool/sink or something). It was a three day trip with no options for charging, but I picked up an extra battery and had no problems at all getting the whole weekend in with two fully charged batteries.

I haven't been doing as much with it as I would like to but the handful of edits that I've finished are on my youtube page if you want some ideas. I just do quick edits on my MacBook in iMovie then upload to youtube. Easy-peasy. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheGnarShredd/videos I need to fix the quality somehow (youtube seems to DESTROY any of the good quality I get with the original footage and I haven't figured out how to improve it). Hoping to add a lot more this year though!
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: School me on.... Go pro's!!!!! Reply with quote

pet575 wrote:
fish6942 wrote:
Aubs wrote:

Or the sack!!! Exclamation

Actually not that great in shower/sack for those types of movies...lens is wide angle and not really made for that. OH, I still do it, just not best application. IJS.

Aubs, I just go one too. Read the manual, it's pretty simple actually and I have been using the software that is free with it, but other software seems better after you pass the novice phase. It is ez, you will learn fast. Get closer than you think (bc of the lens) and hold it steadier and don't move it so fast were my first observations. Take short vid and edit them together.

Here are two of my vids for everyone:

Fishing, skip to 1:30 if you don't like Zeppelin and sunrises: https://vimeo.com/81953337

Foolin with camera/gf: https://vimeo.com/80670882
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Hero2. I haven't had time to edit most of my footage over the last year. But it's a great camera. The video quality is amazing. I use it for wakeboarding, snowboarding, kiteboarding, river trips. For most things, mounting it on a telescoping pole is better than mounting it on yourself. Less jitters, better subject, and more control.

This was the first set I took with it behind the boat mounted to my helmet and a super quick edit. Just got back from Taos and took some great footage with it. Hoping to have that video edited this weekend.
https://vimeo.com/42384317

If you're feeling really ambitious, get a quadcopter for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evZfatc6cdc

churchy

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish everyone would buy five! Wink
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aubs and all actually, you can check out Andy Lazarus' FB page for some cool quadcopter footage around where we live. He is working with one of the main quadcopter companies or something.
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jan 03, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a GoPro as well, with a clamp type mount for my tower to film our cockpit, but I'm wondering if I need a dedicated stick for underwater or if I can just put a mount on my sabiki rod? It's long, hollow carbon fiber pole so I don't have to have one more thing taking up a rod holder...

P.S. - nice deckhand Partyb

RIP M.H.Legge
impulse
Addict
Addict

City: Snyder,TX

PostPosted: Jan 05, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the phantom quad copter for mine and that is crazy. I work on wind turbines and flew the gopro up and around a turbine. We were inspecting the blades and it worked perfectly. I love the gopro and the waterproof options. I take mine scuba diving and it's great for that too.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impulse, That's a really cool use for it! Amazing what these little cameras can do.
Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2014 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to log in just to do this:

Pro's = possessive
Pros = plural

On a related note, my son's 5th grade teacher handed me a little flyer thing that said "Your invited" to a class party.

And we wonder why our kids don't know how to use an apostrophe. It's because their teachers don't know how, either!

Last edited by Swass on Jan 06, 2014 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swass wrote:
And we wonder why our kids don't know how to use an appostrophe. It's because their teachers don't know how, either!

Apostrophe

Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HA!!!! gawddammit. lol

You can't prove a thing. Evidence is circumstantial. Wink
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Swass, that's been bugging the shlt out of me. coincidence that aubrey is a teacher? i think not.

to get this thread back on a lighter note...

Swass
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jan 06, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vintage. Smile
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RampageWake wrote:
I just got a GoPro as well, with a clamp type mount for my tower to film our cockpit, but I'm wondering if I need a dedicated stick for underwater or if I can just put a mount on my sabiki rod? It's long, hollow carbon fiber pole so I don't have to have one more thing taking up a rod holder...

P.S. - nice deckhand Partyb

It's a bit of a pain to use the clamp and change applications. I recommend a telescoping handle that is readily available, or use your mop handle or any wood handle.

Thanks. https://www.facebook.com/darcizzleoffshore
LFADAM

City: New York City

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm experimenting heavily with my HD Hero 2 before I leave on my RTW trip. The time lapse feature is amazing for 2 reasons. A.) The file size/memory usage is much smaller than shooting 2 hours in 720p/1080p/etc and just speeding it up. B.) The quality is better than any normal video mode because it only has to take a picture every few seconds, allowing it to capture as well as its best quality stills--11 megapixels, then the GoPro software automatically converts your 1,000 pictures into beautiful 720p video.

I got a telescoping pole for Christmas that is amazing. It extends to over 5 feet, is aluminum, and has a quick release mount that fits my camcorder too! Very pumped on that (and it screws into my mini/travel sized tripod to make a full sized tripod).

Anyone have any advice on shooting skydiving or bungee jumping? I was thinking wrist mount but will that be too close to keep my face/upper body in frame? Seeing a view of what's below isn't nearly as interesting (although not bad for bungee I suppose). I don't think they would let me bring a pole out of the plane. Laughing
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partyb, RampageWake,
If either of you guys do trolling, check this out. Seem to be getting some really awesome video from it.
http://shop.coolwaterproducts.com/TrollPro3-Underwater-GoPro-Video-Housing-TPS.htm
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=22d_1388622977
timmy
Addict
Addict

City: Jupiter, FL

PostPosted: Jan 08, 2014 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a hero 2. Made a pole out of some leftover pvc conduit, works well.

couple of my videos:

http://youtu.be/iRj6VQGbvnM

http://youtu.be/tXIGWDRQ6QI
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad, have seen those out there. Great videos. There is one of a wahoo strike, thing comes in like a freight train. These vids really give you a better idea of how each species takes a bait.

We are in a big tournament the next two days, should have great footage, we will see.
Follow my gf please:
FB:https://www.facebook.com/darcizzleoffshore

Instagram: UN= _darcizzle_
also #darcizzle

darcie.am shirt.butt.JPG

Description:
 Filesize:  64.95 KB
 Viewed:  24655 Time(s)

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Anyone have any advice on shooting skydiving or bungee jumping? I was thinking wrist mount but will that be too close to keep my face/upper body in frame?

I have a friend who GoPro'd his bungee jump in NZ. He did it with a pole mount facing back towards him. The video was great. I was surprised they let him do it, but he had a wrist strap. I'd only do this if you're attached at the legs. The jerk from a chest attachment would make me nervous I'd lose the camera.

For Skydiving, the instructors always used wrist straps to film. I think because of the need to use your hands, but you still get a view of yourself. Not sure if these photos will show up or not.

pyrocasto

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if it would get old having people's hair in your mouth jumping out of a plane? Laughing

At least 50% of the population is retarded so I discount what they think or feel automatically.
Chad H

City: Atlanta

PostPosted: Jan 09, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partyb,
Done and done, I can always deal with offshore fishing and women mixed together.

What tournament are you guys in? Kingfish?
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2014 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Learning to type on my iPad... It's auto correct for stuff is different than I'm used to with my blackberry.... Apologize for my apostrophe mistake.

Thanks for all the insight. Going snorkeling in a few weeks and debating on ordering the case with the red filter thingy (yes, that's the technical term) so the colors look better. Anyone have this? If so, which brand?

Thanks! Miss you guys!
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jan 10, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my brother in laws footage was ok.. But if I were you I would order the red filter thingy..
timmy
Addict
Addict

City: Jupiter, FL

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2014 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for snorkeling I wouldn't spend the money on a red filter. under 20 feet it makes everything have a red tint.

If you are taking it diving in tropical waters, then you get a red filter. I really like the SRP filters. I have had bad luck with the cheaper Polar Pro filter.
flixmaster
Site Owner
Site Owner

PostPosted: Jan 11, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh.. sorry I read that wrong. I thought you were diving.
pyrocasto

PostPosted: Jan 12, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, red filter seems to be more for scuba. I went snorkling in sinkholes/caves in Mexico a few months back and it came out pretty good.

Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jan 13, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chad H wrote:
Partyb,
Done and done, I can always deal with offshore fishing and women mixed together.

What tournament are you guys in? Kingfish?

We were in the WPB Fishing Club Silver Sailfish Derby, you can google that if you care enough. A sailfish only release tournament out of Palm Beach, FL. We were on a 50' Post. Kingfish tournaments are usually only in the summer down this way.

Thanks, and catch 'em up!
shaggyboarder
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: ft. laud.... hook me up with a pull

PostPosted: Jan 15, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partyb, Ive seen alot of darcizzles stuff on IG she seems to get regrammed alot ( I wonder why Laughing )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: