Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

It has arrived...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: It has arrived... Reply with quote

rMBP15. Only change was to go to 16gb from 8.

Easily the best computer/laptop I've ever touched.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.3ghz w/ 16gb rams I'm guessing? I'm about to order that setup.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 16, 2013 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, went with the base 2.0. Don't really need the extra HP, better for me to have the slightly better batt life.

Waiting for Henge or Zen to get their docking solutions working. Got a Displaylink certified Dock that uses USB3 but its definitely not ready for OSX despite their claims to the contrary. For now I, just going to wire direct to the tbolt ports to get my dual 27's on at my desk.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So does the dock just not play well with OSX at all, or are things OK if you route the display separately (presumably through thunderbolt)?

My MBP has been a desktop replacement ever since I got my tablet, so if there's a decent dock solution out there then I might consider it.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 21, 2013 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the Displaylink software and 10.9. Displaylink is pointing the finger at Apple, claiming they "broke" something in 10.9 that causes all sort of bugginess.

I have it routed using tbolt to dvi cables now and all works perfect. Henge and Zen use pass through which will eliminate the need for 3rd party solutions like Displaylink.

Fwiw, I wouldn't use a Displaylink dock for any type of video or photo editing. I doubt it could handle it. Now, a pass thru solution...that would be great.

I picked up a cheap HP notebook stand ($17) on Amazon, and put an Anker 7 port usb3 hub behind it. Works perfect. I have 4 wires to attach/detach when "docked" but I've worked my cable management magic and it's all very tidy.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 20, 2014 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.3ghz, 16gb, 500gb ssd just got delivered today.

First impression is that Apple knows how to package this thing. There is zero wasted space in the packaging, and it's easy to imagine all the paper/cardboard used is recycled.

Not hardware related, Chrome is amazing - I signed in and it automatically installed all my extensions.

I don't like this reverse scrolling stuff. We'll see how long this lasts...

I definitely prefer the silver, non-chiclet keyboard much better than this black one. When I run my finger down a key it sort of vibrates in a weird way and it feels plasticky and cheap. I guess I'll just stop doing this Laughing

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, I've become accustomed to the chiclets and quite like them now. Pretty much every mfg has gone to this kind of keyboard in a "follow the leader" approach, so ya probably got to get used to it. Even my Logitech K750-MAC is this style now. BTW, I highly recommend this keyboard.

Reverse scrolling is interesting. I love it on a trackpad, but hate it on a mouse. So I shut it off in sys prefs, and installed an app called "Scroll Reverser". It allows more fine control over what each device does when scrolling. I set my trackpad and Magic Trackpad to scroll "natural" and my mouse to scroll "un-natural". http://pilotmoon.com/scrollreverser

Definitely love Chrome. It's nowhere near as battery friendly as Safari though, so when I need to be unplugged for long periods of time I have used Safari instead. I tend to use Chrome for my personal browsing, and Safari for business purposes.

wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have either of you tried Chrome (Canary) that has Google Now in it?

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wakeboarderdave1, not yet. I need some stability so I stick to their beta channels only.

Can't wait for this feature to hit desktop. Love it on the phone.

scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 21, 2014 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I knew I wouldn't have a choice with the keyboard, I've just always associated this plasticy feeling with cheap plastics. But that might get better as the keys wear in a bit. And that Logitech keyboard you named is probably the one that I would get if I were to purchase one. I remember it being released and liked it because of the number pad and solar. My friend has one and likes his, too.

AND NO MORE SLEEP INDICATOR LIGHT! Freakin happy that I won't have to cover the SIL every night when I go to sleep (mine would like up the whole room if left uncovered).

This thing is fast. The new Google Maps is...like...actually usable! Laughing Can't wait to get my photo editing apps installed.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Jan 22, 2014 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, it's absolutely phenomenal. The power out of such a small space is beyond anything I have ever used, and the fact that you get such great performance with an incredibly long lasting battery is unbelievable.

I've got to work remote for about 3 hours today. I won't bother bringing my power adapter. Between the laptop and my Droid Maxx (tethering) I will barely move the meter in 3 hours on either device.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Technology, Photography, and Media All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: