Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Professional CV/Resume vs. Showing Personality

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 2:34 pm    Post subject: Professional CV/Resume vs. Showing Personality Reply with quote

I've been reworking cover letters and resumes lately and everyone I talk to seems to have a different opinion on this, hoping some of you guys can offer advice.

So some of the companies I'm applying to have a reputation for a more "fun/creative" atmosphere. The positions are in marketing, specifically at some of the major video game companies.

My dilemma is whether I stick to a more professional-style or try and punch things up a bit and show a more creative side (I can do it, just seems unnatural on a resume/cover letter and personally, I'd think it cheesy if I saw it).

Personally, I'm of the mind keep it professional. Let my achievements and experience speak for themselves and get me through HR/screening companies. Then I can show my personality and creative side more in an interview if I get that far. I think I did a good job staying professional but making my cover letter show some personality and knowledge about the company.

Thoughts? What are you more likely to ditch if it came across your desk to hire someone?
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're unsure I'd stay on the professional side for the resume, then let the interview show the personality.
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how many resumes does the hr person see in a day? a ton right? my MO would be to not draw negative attention to myself at such an early stage.
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Nov 19, 2013 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I think it will have more to do with the personality of whoever is reviewing the resumes and not so much whether your approach is right or wrong.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: