Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Hi Guys!! I'm Hooked!! Need help buying a board!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mxscotty

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2013 5:11 pm    Post subject: Hi Guys!! I'm Hooked!! Need help buying a board!! Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

A friend of mine got a house on a lake last year and we started wakeboarding. He went alot and I went when I could, but now we're all about it. What an awesome sport, it feels so great being out there!! We were using a jetboat, but he's on the hunt for a wakeboarding boat right now and vow's to have one for next season (we live in New England). So, now I'm looking for a board.

I will try to give you all the information I can about myself, I want to get the right board. I weigh 190 pounds and I'm 39 years old. I grew up racing BMX bikes and skateboarding in the 80's as well as playing baseball and football. I was really into skiing and snowboarding for most of my life too. I blew out my knee skiing moguls in the 90's and I've never been quite the same athletically, but wakeboarding is a great fit for me. The "quick bursts" of using alot of energy is alot more fulfilling for me than going skiing and only getting 6 or 8 runs in only to end up with a swollen knee and a limp for 2 weeks.

As far as ability, I'm brand new. I've gone about a dozen times now. I got up on my first try and took to it pretty easily right off the bat. I REALLY enjoy the feeling of carving turns but I imagine I will like getting air even more once I'm good at it. I have not cleared the wake yet, but I'm close. I am really starting to feel my age and I've started trying to get in better shape just for this sport.

So, I've been reading about boards and it looks like I will be somewhere in the 138 to 142 cm range for my weight. As I read, I realize I really don't know much about these boards or bindings. My friend has been doing more research than me and he is sold on the CWB Transcend board. He can get one with bindings (answer - boot style) brand new for $280. He shops on Sierra Trading Post alot and can get like another 40% off of the sale price of $430.

So he's all about me just getting that board, but I want to learn more first about boards, bindings, etc. I would appreciate any oppinions questions like: Can I go right out on a "pro" board or will I benefit more on more of an intermediate board? Are closed toed - boot style bindings better than open toed? Do I get a shorter board or a longer board?

Oh yeah, the board we use now is supposedly a good one. I believe it's a Hyperlite Parks Bonifay model. It's a 140. It does not have a middle fin, just 2 molded side fins. It seems cool to me, but it does feel a bit "wiggly" at times. It's the only board I've used, so it's all I know, but it's been a blast.

Any input positive, negative, whatever, is welcome.

And thanks alot!!!
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, try to ride a few different styles of boards (continuous rocker, 3stage and hybrid) to find out what works best for you. Then go shopping for a good deal on a board of that shape.
The Parks is really old, boards have changed quite a bit. Evo.com and other stores have many great close outs now. Amongst others my all time favorite the LF Witness for 200 bucks.

Closed toe bindings... nice but imo 95% marketing, 5% functionality.

Have fun riding, and welcome!

mxscotty

PostPosted: Sep 11, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks man!! Wow, I didn't realize how old that board was. I just looked it up- it's a 2006. He got it off of Craigslist last year, brand new unused!

I will try to find a place where I can try some boards out
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2013 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to echo everything FlyZone CR said. You're picking a good time to buy. As the new 2014 product has just been announced (as of this past weekend) and seasons come to a close, you'll see more and more items on clearance. Any board from the last 3 years or so will treat you great for a long time. Keep an eye out for board and binding combo packages to get the best deal.

No matter what you read or people say about a board, there is no substitute for your personal preference. You can definitely hop right on to a more 'advanced' board if it's something you like and in fact, that would be better for you in the long run as you progress you will never outgrow it skill-wise. The "beginner" vs. "advanced" labels to me is just marketing talk that realistically more indicates the quality of a board, not so much who should be riding it. Beginner decks are made to be entry level and a little cheaper in construction and end price. Advanced decks are the actual boards pros ride and those are built very, very well for the most part.

The Parks board shapes have always been pretty weird and are definitely not for everyone. So do your best to try a few boards before deciding if you can.
mxscotty

PostPosted: Sep 12, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for your responses, definitely great info so far and it's already helping me.

I'm not sure where I can try different boards, but I will try.

Yes, the Parks model I'm riding is definitely a 2006, the white with like black elephant looking animals on it.

It's great to hear that I can just hop on a good board right off the bat. I like to buy once, and do it right.

You guys have any input on the CWB Transcend / answer bindings?

Also, I looked up the Liquid Force Witness. Seems cool, good reviews. I like the idea of the middle fin on it. The Parks I'm riding does not have that and it feels a little "wiggly" or "skatey" to me, but it gets more stable every time I ride it and improve a little. How does the Liquid Force compare to that CWB?

I think I would prefer the open toe binders over the boots, mainly just because of fit. Buying over the internet can be tough and seems like fitting an open toe binding would be much easier than the closed, but I see that most of the good guys recommend the closed.

Aaaaahhhh, so many choices!!!
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Parks boards are not a very good representation. As I said, they're a little weird for a lot of people. I haven't ridden them but if I remember correctly that board really performs on a strong edge, but can be squirrely otherwise.

The center fins aren't such a big deal on the Witness or any other board of that style. Many people ride without them (and I suggest you do the same with a board like that). It has two fins on each end of the board that are built in (you'll see these called "molded" fins") that provide plenty of stability and edge hold. The Transcend also has two fins on each end I believe, so they're somewhat similar in that area.

CWB makes a pretty good product and I find them to be underrated by a lot of people. With that said, their boards are really basic for the most-part. No bells-and whistles, basic construction, but a good ride.

There's definitely a whole, massive world of gear out there and it's crazy for some people. If you want some more general tips, I wrote out some here. Nothing specific, just a handful of things to think about when considering a purchase. http://wakethings.blogspot.com/2013/02/countdown-5-tips-for-buying-wakeboard.html Not the "end-all-be-all" guide by any stretch of the imagination, but hopefully can help a little.

The best thing to do though is to keep asking questions. If you come across something keep posting, feel free to post links to the gear you're talking about.
mxscotty

PostPosted: Sep 13, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You so much for your help! I am going to read through that link that you gave me word for word. I will ask more questions as they come to me. Thanks again!!
mxscotty

PostPosted: Oct 05, 2013 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help guys. I ended up buying this:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/cwb-board-co-transcend-wakeboard-answer-bindings~p~5129u/?filterString=s~cwb-transcend%2F&colorFamily=02

At that sale price plus another 35% off with the coupon code it cost me $297 to my door. I figured at that price I couldn't go wrong!!
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2013 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on! Enjoy it!
mxscotty

PostPosted: Oct 08, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks man, should be here any day now! can't wait to get it. it's cold here, but I hope to get out on it at least once!
deborahmassen

PostPosted: Apr 03, 2014 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank u for this info it help a lot
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: