Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Am I on the right track boardwise?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gorbee

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 12:57 am    Post subject: Am I on the right track boardwise? Reply with quote

Hello. I recently got into wakeboarding this summer. Took me forever to get up on a boat (we are talking about 40/50 attempts) and now I'm finally getting up on boat and cable park, I've pretty much fallen in love with it. Being fairly close to a cable park, I am thinking of buying my own board set up, mostly so I don't have to change type of boards I end up hiring, getting something that always fits my size etc etc.

I have looked around for a while and just wanted to check I am actually heading in the right direction as I am aware that board selection is completely a personal preference. The Liquid Force Trip seems to be one that keeps cropping up a lot as a great beginner board to start advancing on but then I keep seeing the Watson Hybrid as a decent board too. Evo.com puts the Watson in the advanced category but does that actually make a huge difference? Will I struggle to ride it or will I just be able to keep it for longer and be able to advance further? Thanks!
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd go for the Watson hybrid, it a awesome shape for boat and some flex for sliders. Your right on the money with " keep it longer and advance further". What ever you get if you plan on riding cable get something with a base material made for cable riding (liquid force grind base). Cable riding is very hard on boards and you will be lucky to get 2 years out of a cable board.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorbee, I always tell people that the rider level you see in descriptions don't matter a whole lot. Sure, certain designs might make things frustrating for a complete beginner and it's always good to ask, but like anything, you'll probably get used to it over time. (there's always exceptions, so keep asking questions!)

Realistically, if you're riding at the cable a lot, i think the Watson Hybrid will be fine and is a great choice. The most difficult thing to deal with there is how loose it can be, but you'll run in to the same thing with any board that doesn't have molded fins (since you will likely ride at the cable finless).

But if you are riding behind a boat a lot, it may not be the best choice for a complete beginner. I say that mostly because it's very flexible. A more traditional, stiff board like a Trip will be more predictable and easier to learn the basics on. Even though lots of people list it as a "beginner" deck, it's still pretty unlikely you're riding level will outgrow the board and you can continue to advance until you decide you want to try something different, so don't worry about your skill level becoming to great for that deck!
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Gnar said. He's mush more eloquent in his advice
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBadWolfe, Thanks, but you're absolutely right yourself! I don't remember seeing the Trip with a grind-base so the Watson Hybrid will definitely hold up better to sliders/kickers at the cable park. Just depends on the type of riding Gorbee wants to do.
Gorbee

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2013 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys! The biggest portion of riding will be cable parks but think rails and kickers is still a little way off! Boat riding may be a twice yearly thing on holidays as there isn't a huge amount of accessible boat riding in the UK unless you own your own boat. Which I don't Sad now just to find a pair of bindings and I'm off. Thanks again for your help
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet! Yeah, go with the Watson Hybrid then. Super fun board!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: