Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

NOOB BOARD SET-UP. Hyperlite tribute and audio!?! Help!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fhendo190

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2013 11:14 pm    Post subject: NOOB BOARD SET-UP. Hyperlite tribute and audio!?! Help! Reply with quote

Hey guys.
Long time stalker but first post.

Intro on me...
Originally a snowboarder but wakeboarded several times over about 5years. Now looking to get really into it. Am able to jump wake to wake both sides, 180's, surface 360's. My weight regularly ranges from 172lbs to 187lbs (weight training in sports seasons), height 5' 9''

So I have the chance to buy a complete setup on eBay of a hyperlite tribute 2011 and 2011 hyperlite audio bindings. The bindings are perfect size and the board is a 142. Package being offered for $250 which seems reasonable.
Link: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=261260478346&kw=261260478346

So just a few questions:
- Is this the correct length for me or too long?
- Should I go for this setup as my first board?
- I have some concerns about the small fins on the tribute. I plan on taking out the centre fins. Good idea? Will the 4 moulded fins be enough?
- I kind of fancy the bindings as they are so similar to snowboard ones, I could easily get the setup and swap the bindings onto a different board?

Thanks for your help and sorry for being a pain.
Oh and sneaky bonus question, what should be my next trick progression?
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

- at your height/weight I would go with a 138-142

- I haven't ridden that specific board, but looks look a pretty good setup for the money. I used to ride a HL TFD and my brother rides a HL Process. hL is quality gear. I think going with a continuous rocker will be the best, it's much more consistent.

- you'll be fine with just the molded in fins, especially coming from a snowboard background. It will teach you better edging and I don't know a single person that rides with a center fin.

- bindings are completely interchangeable, so what ever board/boot binding combo you want.

Bonus question- I'd go for blind 180's, heel and toe 3's and of course grabs. I love big lofty grabed heel blind 1's, easy trick and really stylish
Fhendo190

PostPosted: Aug 17, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBadWolfe wrote:
- at your height/weight I would go with a 138-142

- I haven't ridden that specific board, but looks look a pretty good setup for the money. I used to ride a HL TFD and my brother rides a HL Process. hL is quality gear. I think going with a continuous rocker will be the best, it's much more consistent.

- you'll be fine with just the molded in fins, especially coming from a snowboard background. It will teach you better edging and I don't know a single person that rides with a center fin.

- bindings are completely interchangeable, so what ever board/boot binding combo you want.

Bonus question- I'd go for blind 180's, heel and toe 3's and of course grabs. I love big lofty grabed heel blind 1's, easy trick and really stylish

Thanks! So 142 is on the big side but would be fine for now?

Will get cracking with the trick suggestions. Will try a blind 180 out of the wake tomorrow. I notice on several videos that people blind 180 and land with the handle behind their back in their back hand (don't pass the handle until after landing), when I try this I automatically slide round surface 180 back to regular stance. What am I doing wrong? Also would you grab before or during the 180?
Is attempting my first inverts out of the question? Tempting but don't wanna get hurt being too impatient!

Thanks so much for your help.
Much appreciated as I've got a lot to learn!
BigBadWolfe
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Aug 18, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea 142 is more suitable for 190+, but I'm of the same build as you(5'9 195, played football and boxed back in the day). I can ride anything in that 138-142 range, but I'd suggest 142. It will be more stable and ride a little higher in the water, decreasing fatigue.

Blind 1's and toe front 3's can be done with the handle pass or not. I like to not pass and land wraped. If you getting pulled around, it could be a number of things. You want to be bent over at the waist with your weight over your toes and the handle tight into the small of your back. Try riding around like that and see if you can get the hang of it out in the flats. You don't need to ride around like that for very long after landing the trick. Try cutting out heel side and doing a ollie back one in the flats, once you have it in the flats take it wake to wake. As for grabs, I grab first then spin. With spins ( and all tricks for that matter) you want to make sure to get a good pop of the wake before throwing the trick, don't start your rotation until your board has left the wake. So with back ones just hit the wake like normal, try to get a good lofty w2w pop, then throw the back 1 on the way down. If you want to get a grab in there I'd throw the lofty w2w and just think grab, grab at the apex then the back 1 on the way down.

Inverts aren't all that hard, but learning your spins first gives a really good foundation to build on.
If you to try and huck a invert I'd go with a backroll, tantrum or scarecrow. Depends on how good your toe and or heel pop is. Post videos if you can, it's hard to give any kind of riding advice without video. There are allot of good riders on here that more then happy to help.
Fhendo190

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBadWolfe wrote:
Yea 142 is more suitable for 190+, but I'm of the same build as you(5'9 195, played football and boxed back in the day). I can ride anything in that 138-142 range, but I'd suggest 142. It will be more stable and ride a little higher in the water, decreasing fatigue.

Blind 1's and toe front 3's can be done with the handle pass or not. I like to not pass and land wraped. If you getting pulled around, it could be a number of things. You want to be bent over at the waist with your weight over your toes and the handle tight into the small of your back. Try riding around like that and see if you can get the hang of it out in the flats. You don't need to ride around like that for very long after landing the trick. Try cutting out heel side and doing a ollie back one in the flats, once you have it in the flats take it wake to wake. As for grabs, I grab first then spin. With spins ( and all tricks for that matter) you want to make sure to get a good pop of the wake before throwing the trick, don't start your rotation until your board has left the wake. So with back ones just hit the wake like normal, try to get a good lofty w2w pop, then throw the back 1 on the way down. If you want to get a grab in there I'd throw the lofty w2w and just think grab, grab at the apex then the back 1 on the way down.

Inverts aren't all that hard, but learning your spins first gives a really good foundation to build on.
If you to try and huck a invert I'd go with a backroll, tantrum or scarecrow. Depends on how good your toe and or heel pop is. Post videos if you can, it's hard to give any kind of riding advice without video. There are allot of good riders on here that more then happy to help.

Thanks for all your help. Really useful. Only just got a chance to ride tomorrow so will try the blind 180 landing wrapped etc. Inverts wise, I jus can't visualise a backroll even on a trampoline so a tantrum attempt may be better.

So the board arrived today. Looks class however am still concerned it may be too big/heavy at my current weight (175lbs). Will ride this week hopefully.
Also, with the boa bindings I can really get my foot ratcheted in there like my snowboard, feels like it'd provide good responsiveness but is it dangerous as I won't eject on bails? Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: