Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Side "Gliding" on nose/tail edge like a boss

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Side "Gliding" on nose/tail edge like a boss Reply with quote

I've always tried this to no success, anyone cares to give some hints on how to learn it? After watching the video for 800 times, i'm still not sure about the physics of how this is actually possible..

Parks Bonifay at 00:52 of this vid... you'll know which trick i'm talking about

Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never tried it but I would guess you could ease into it by making a hard toeside cut and put increasing weight on your front foot. You wouldn't want much if any fins. I see kiteboarders do it all the time. It's easier there because the pull is coming more vertically.
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it makes more sense in my head with Kiteboarding. For this however, i can't imagine how the toe side corner of the nose of the board of Park's left leg doesn't drag him into water at 1:05.

Is it basically high speed edging using the nose of the board like the normal edge? or is it more of a "sliding" motiion using the heelside nose corner of the board, that he's taking to the limit?

I'd love to see some discussion/ how-to on this
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Aug 07, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to tell from the camera angle, but he has to have a lot of outward force where the nose of the board is generating lift laterally. If you were to take a pict from the boat, there is no way the board is perfectly vertical, it has to be at an angle, and that slight angle at that speed must be enough to keep him out of the water.

I would be willing to bet this is only possible for a short duration when you're cutting hard away from the wake, or on a turn like this video shows. I may have to give it a try, but the falls look like a bitch.

ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first few falls from trying this is gonna be awkward and scary as all hell, but I think if we look at it more rationally, even if the "nose corner" on the toeside touches down and pulls you into water, your board would be pointed parrallel to the boat travelling direction, so probably not a proper edge catch. *touches wood*

unfortunately i'm still out of commission and require second surgery on my knee, i can only wakesurf as if i was any good Laughing

Please, fellow riders, work on your core muscles and techniques when you're off the boat! And try to work this bad ass trick out and report back Surprised
FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Aug 08, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been wanting to try this one for ages but always forget about it when I'm riding. Gotta remember and give it a shot.
kent2010
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Needles

PostPosted: Aug 21, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hes whipping out to the outside of a turn so all his momentum is going out and away from the handle. that allows you to hold a harder press for longer on the water.
ediotism
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Aug 27, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's barely a "press" when you're not pressing with the bottom of your board.

it looks more like he's edging a high speed carve, but using the "nose" end edge of the board instead of the toeside or heelside edge
birdlakeboarder

City: Pettisville

PostPosted: Aug 30, 2013 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive actually been trying this a bit this summer after i saw it in a few magazines and some online videos. I think its called a soul carve?? not sure but thats sort of what i picked up. for me i have been carving hard away from the wake toeside then put lots of weight on my front leg and dip the nose down and carve on that like its the heel edge. It works a little but its hard to keep it like parks does but it seems like he is doing it during a turn which would give you enough outward momentum to keep carving. Unfortunately i may not be able to give it another shot this summer but I forsure will next summer i think this is one of the sickest tricks out there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: