Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

School me on music copyrights+youtube/vimeo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LFADAM
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New York City

PostPosted: Jul 28, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: School me on music copyrights+youtube/vimeo Reply with quote

I feel like nobody actually knows how this works...whenever I make wakeboard videos with music I just put them on Vimeo because they're less strict than youtube and facebook. But if I want to start making videos to share broadly or make money off of, what are the rules? Some questions to consider:

-Does it matter if you give song credit?
-Does it matter if you are making money or not (even just a little vs. corporation)
-Can you use songs if the video is for educational purposes?
-Assuming you need permission for certain circumstances, how do you go about that? Artist or record label (or both/either?) Written/verbal/tweet?
-what do the youtube licenses and Creative Commons licenses do/mean?
-etc

Thanks!
LFADAM

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody...?
TnR6Rida
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: West TN

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2013 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically it only matters if someone bitches about it.
scott a
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

PostPosted: Aug 10, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: School me on music copyrights+youtube/vimeo Reply with quote

Saw this on my phone earlier and meant to chime in when I got in front of a keyboard but totally forgot. I added some info but it's really only scratching the surface.

tl;dr: if you're trying to make money/gain interweb fame from Youtube/Vimeo videos you really should pay for the content that you're going to be using.

I feel like nobody actually knows how this works... There's tons of info online, but you just probably need a place to start. Search "music licensing" and look for information that relates to Vimeo/Youtube. Spoiler: you should license the music that you're using otherwise your videos might get yanked off Youtube/Vimeo.

But if I want to start making videos to share broadly or make money off of, what are the rules? The band that made the song that you like probably busted their ass to make some cool music, and if you want to use their awesome music to make your video better then you should pay them some money, right? Paying a band for the license/rights to use a song in your video can be done from a bunch of websites, including www.rumblefish.com (I'm not affiliated with them, but I know people that have used that site).

Does it matter if you give song credit? Song credits at the end wont keep you from from getting in trouble, and will probably be determined by the music license that you purchase.
Does it matter if you are making money or not (even just a little vs. corporation) Nope. Unauthorized usage is unauthorized usage. RIAA and the record companies doesn't care who you are.
Can you use songs if the video is for educational purposes? Under certain conditions, yes. In reality your video will still be yanked off Youtube/Vimeo and you'll have to convince them to put it up. And good luck with that. Laughing
Assuming you need permission for certain circumstances, how do you go about that? There's a ton of websites that license music for use on Youtube/Vimeo for like 2 bucks a song. The whole thing was pretty simple last time I had to do this. Check out rumblefish.com and go from there. If you're looking to use a specifc song, you can try to contact the band (if they're small/unsigned) or contact the record label (if they're signed to a label). Always do this via email...never verbally or via Twitter.
what do the youtube licenses and Creative Commons licenses do/mean? Creative commons explanation per wikipedia "A Creative Commons license is used when an author wants to give people the right to share, use, and even build upon a work that they have created." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_Commons_licenses

Hope this info helps.

LFADAM

PostPosted: Aug 14, 2013 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scott a, Thanks, that's very helpful. I'll check out rumblefish. My main concern is if I make a video that ends up making me $6.79 in ads that I'd have to pay 2000 dollars for the music rights. Sounds like that may not be the case.
LFADAM

PostPosted: Oct 06, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm revisiting this thread because I'm still confused. There are a few good sites for royalty free music, but it's all really crappy garageband caliber stuff. Decent for background music or effects, but not for a quality action sports video or time lapse video. Rumblefish is slightly better, but you still can't find any song by an artist that you have heard of.

Youtube has some songs available that seem like the first two options, but then occasionally I come across a video that has a song like M83-Midnight City and it looks to be legal. Right under the video it gives song credit (not in the description, in an official YouTube box). How does the author do that/obtain that? It looks like it's through YouTube in the way that it's displayed. Or sometimes you'll see "Standard Youtube License" on a video that is clearly not the author's own work...for example some girl uploading episodes of "That 70s Show." Why is she allowed to do this and what does that license mean? Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9B5ZV5DO-I

Edit: Here's an example of a video with the song credit by Youtube that I was talking about. Look under the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9d8wWcJLnFI
ontrider
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Russia

PostPosted: Oct 07, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LFADAM, scott's answers are correct... here's a little more info to what I think you're asking.

The video you posted uses music that was made available under the creative commons license:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2797468?hl=en

Read through that... I'm not familiar where you'd look on youtube (probably in that "more" sections) but basically if you were a musician and uploaded an original work or work you own, you could mark your video under CC license which gives other people permission to use the work. Some may do this just for the exposure, or just to be nice, or because they don't care who uses it.

There is a lot of false information online regarding copyright law in general, but the best advice I can give you is that if you're not sure, ask permission. A lot of times you can obtain permission simply by emailing the artist and telling them what you want to use it for (unless they're really popular of course). But I'd say your best bet is to find a few songs you like and contact the creators and ask them if you can use them in your video or maybe even offer them some sort of profit sharing off any videos you sell. At least that route you can make your video without putting money out upfront.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: