Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

A couple of sets for everyone to critique

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LTRGUY261

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: A couple of sets for everyone to critique Reply with quote

Here are a few short sets of me from this past weekend. Please feel free to give me any critique or pointers you may have. I have been up on the board for a few weeks on rode a handful of time since I started.

This was the first time I crossed the wake TS, but was unable to ride switch which I have done before.

rowlex
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: seattle

PostPosted: Jul 22, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im just as noob as you are.

from my research: your handle position should be closer to your forward hip, your hands should not be opposite on the handle, both on top.

and your just as scared as I am to edge in hard and hit the wake! lol. you are fortunate enough to have calm water tho. we've not yet been out with anything but chop.
slidin_out
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Pearl

PostPosted: Jul 23, 2013 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah both hands should be palms down, might try widening your stance on the board too, sign up for learnwake.com and look up the "Speeding up Learning Switch" video, it is a carving drill that I do often, it will help you on regular and switch get more comfortable with and better at board control, should speed up progress a lot, takes about 5 minutes a set
Wakeboarder3780
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Wausau

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off welcome to the board.

It appears you come from a slalom background judging by your grip. In wakeboarding you want to learn to ride both palms down. This will put your body in a balanced position for wakeboard riding. It may feel awkward for you at first but you definitely DEFINITELY want to make this change.

1:16
weight is uneven, too much weight was on the starboard side of the boat (right side when facing in direction of boat travel) See how the wake on the port side of the boat (left side when facing in the direction of boat travel) is bubbly / washed out? That means you need more weight on that side to even out the wake. The next time you ride, get up and have the driver go straight. Stay in the middle of both wakes (going to the outside will cause the boat to lean a little and may throw off your measurements). When inside both wakes gently ride over to each side and see if it's frothy. If it's frothy on one side have someone move to that side of the boat. If hte problem flops to the other side have that person sit in the middle or swap more people around until the wake is right.

If BOTH sides are frothy you need to either reduce weight (smaller wake) or speed up the boat (ouch on falls). You actually fell on this because of a combination of poor edge control and frothy wake which caught you up.

While we're on the subject it's clear to me that with how long the boat struggled to plane and how big the wake is, you are gaining absolutely no value from having that large of a wake at this point in time. If you want to ride a big wake because you like the feeling of it, I won't stop you, but you will get more riding time in if the boat planes faster, and honestly the wake is messing with you at this point.

2:15-2:23
Your toeside edge could use some work. Take a look at where your board's nose is pointed in relation to how much lean you have. This is most notable at 2:22. To cut gently toeside you turn the nose of the board slightly in the direction you want to go and slightly lean. To cut harder you increase BOTH variables. Turn the board FURTHER in the direction of travel AND lean further. If you are doing this correctly with palms down grip, the hand should actually be almost touching your lead hip.

Failed boardslides into switch:
You can practice these by slowing the boat down to 12 mph (no joke). Practice riding regular and going into a board slide, but hold it. Hold the board in the boardslide position until you are comfortable you could hold it indefinitely (two hands plam down on handle at this point). Then work on spinning the extra 180.

Overall Advice:
Edging is your biggest hurdle. I would take at least the first 3 minutes of my set and completely dedicate it towards learning edging. Your heelside edge looks strong. Your toeside edge could improve greatly. Here is a picture to help you understand what a healthy toeside edge would look like:
http://schampers.smugmug.com/Pics/Wakeboarding/i-qLNbMS3/0/X3/IMG_0106-X3.jpg

What I mean by edging drills is the following. Assuming you're regular footed (you are) hop on the left side of the wake. Cut HARD heelside. This is comfortable for you. Edge back in TS and repeat. When you're ready to really work hard on TS, cross the wake and go to the right side. Now you can edge as hard as you want toeside without the worry of running into the wake. Rinse repeat for 3 minutes. Hope this helps.

Last edited by Wakeboarder3780 on Sep 19, 2013 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
wedge

PostPosted: Sep 18, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last poster was correct on all of his points.

I would add to the boat driving section for sure. Get the weight out of the boat, and speed up the boat until the wake narrows. Shortening your rope up will also help with this.

If you fall, it should be outside the wake with a half cut. Doing this will make landing much easier on you because you wont "stick". Then as you get the hang of it, you can slow down, add weight to the boat and add length to the rope.

Also, like the other posters said, at all costs, keep the rope handle close to your hips. If you switch sides, just roll the rope from hip to hip, but keep it close.

If you want to learn how to ride that wakeboard quick, spend a weekend on a slalom trick ski!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> General Wakeboarding Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: