Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Home Electronics Problem - WTF Happened?!?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
churchy
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: Boise, ID

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Home Electronics Problem - WTF Happened?!?! Reply with quote

So, I left for an hour or so last night, and when I came back home, I couldn't get one of my DVR's to turn on. I thought it was just a problem with the DVR. However, my wife then informs me she can't get on the internet. After troubleshooting that for awhile, I found that the switch in the media panel wouldn't power on. Also the equipment in the other media panel was acting funny. I also found that one of my garage doors wouldn't open, and the DVR and TV in the bonus room wouldn't turn on. I checked all the breakers, and they were good. I went through and reset all of the breakers and GFIs. The garage door works now, but all of the house electronics still don't work. I don't think it is an outlet or breaker issue though as I have stuff on the same power strips working. There was a lightning storm last night, so I am wondering if we took a hit. Any ideas?

UPDATE: wife just called... she wanted to watch TV today. I have another DVR that wasn't hooked up last night so I had her connect it up. She called me because it was saying no signal on the TV. As we were talking, it powered off and won't come back on now.
Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a power surge.

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
churchy

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, but why did it just jack a new DVR. I am going to go home and reset the main when I get off this conference call.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing that came to my mind was power surge, as we have been having crazy lightning storms....

I say that with ZERO knowledge of electronics..... Laughing
churchy

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya, that is my guess as well.. Just don't know why it is still messing things up. My only thought is the main is stuck in an in-between state..
ohsix

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My parents-in-law' lake house was hit by lightning a couple of months ago. It fried some electronics immediately and some quit working over the next several days. I had heard of houses being struck before, but the lightning in their house broke a chunk of concrete out of a step on the back porch, blew out a piece of drywall and burned/split a stud in an upstairs bathroom, and blew out a piece of soffit from the roof on the opposite side of the house.

No one was at the house when it happened, but the security alarm went off and the neighbors told the police that lightning had struck very close just before the alarm started sounding.

I know nothing about electronics, but I was surprised that things kept breaking several days after the lightning strike. It is odd that something that was not plugged in may have been affected if it was a lightning strike at your house.
Wakebrad
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Dallas

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have the city come out and test the line. It could be lack of power or inconsistent power. I had it happen in my house. They fixed the line near my meter that night and everything was back to normal.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for incoming problem.

A few years ago I had what they called a "half out" it has to do with one of the legs of three phase power. Took four trips and alot of complaining to get PGE to recognize the situation. My guess was the tech was inexperienced and keep getting sent back.

chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^this is what I'd do first. Inconsistent power will really mess with electronics, especially computers (guess what your DVR really is inside - a computer running Linux). One of the main alarms I have on the UPS at the office is for input fluctuations. The good news is the UPS smooths those out. The bad news is only the main equipment is connected to the UPS (all of the others are just behind surge protectors).

Anyhow, prior to having a solid UPS in place, the night crew would plug in their vacuum to a certain outlet and it would cause the server to restart. They didn't notice because the vacuum didn't even notice. Took me a long time and a lot of looking at the original electrical plans to figure it out. Evil or Very Mad

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
Broccoli B
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Grand Rapids

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, if it is a problem with your electrical serivce, the power companies insurance should cover all your damaged equipment.

lcap wrote:
you assume that i assume that my assuming is wrong and assume your assumption therefore must be correct.
goofyboy
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recommend a surge protector, please.
churchy

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just met the electricians at the house... definitely looks like a surge of some kind. Most likely from the lightning last night. All the voltage levels coming into the house and in the house itself are fine. The internet service guy showed up as well. He had to replace a bunch of his equipment to get things working again. The electricians also noted that the transforming that is servicing the house seems to be "humming" a lot more than normal.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jul 17, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gremlins.
boardordie
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Piqua/Ohio

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had something similar happen last summer.
Lightning struck 1/2 a mile down the road and took out a transformer which threw a power spike back through the lines. Anything that was calling for power at the time got fried.

Upright freezer was cycling so it blew but the refrigerator next to it (plugged into same outlet) was idle and was fine.
Stove clock got fried but stove top and oven still worked.
Wii was in suspend mode and got fried but flat screen plugged into same surge protector was fine because it was off.

I ended up paying to have a surge protector placed into our panel between the incoming power and the house circuits.

The biggest pain was dealing with the insurance company. Insurance wouldn't replace anything or cut us a check for replacements until we had written statements from repair men stating the item in question could be fixed or stating it was fried. You know since everyone has time to sit around from 12:00-2:00pm waiting on someone to show up and say "It's fried. That'll be $75 for the minimum charge for a service call!" Bubb Rubb insurance companies!! Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
RampageWake
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Houston

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone ever heard of a surge protector company paying a claim? The surge protector I have said they will pay up to 50 or 60K of electronics. I didn't bother to look further into it, I just bought one that came recommended on an electronics forum, (and thankfully it has done its job) but this thread reminded me that they have probably never paid a claim.

RIP M.H.Legge
churchy

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More carnage... I found out my hot tub, sprinkler clock, .... basically everything is fried. The hot tub surprised me. I called the power company. I am waiting to hear back from their claims division.
Bowen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas...I miss SoCal

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had something similar happen a few years ago, though not to that extent.

Some sort of power surge happened in my house. I had left on my surround sound but turned off the TV (so no input was going through it). All of a sudden in the middle of the night the surround sound is BLASTING white noise.

We had had some sort of surge. It was on a surge protector and ended up being alright. The weirdest thing was, my Mac Mini (home theater PC) was on the same outlet. It was fine, but somehow my ethernet port got fried. Somehow the surge went through my Ethernet cables and that was the only thing plugged in; everything else was on wifi.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowen, Ethernet surge could have come from the switch, or if your house did get hit by lightning, through those cables. Ethernet can carry power, but typically is not surge protected.

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
STPHNSN23

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2013 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

our secretary's house got hit by lightning last week, and it was the phone lines, not the electrical, that got fried. it blew the box off the outside of the house and cooked everything that was plugged into the phone jacks.
wakeboarderdave1
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: St. Thomas, MO

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

goofyboy wrote:
recommend a surge protector, please.

You might look into a UPS's. I have one for my pc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uninterruptible_power_supply

"When you've got that many stars on your hat, you're pretty good." - Keith Jackson
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: