Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Which wakeboard package to buy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ouman

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Which wakeboard package to buy? Reply with quote

I'm trying to decide on a few wakeboards to buy and have narrowed it down to these.
http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Force-Wakeboard-Package-Bindings/dp/B00CBMO94I/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_16
http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Force-Wakeboard-Package-Bindings/dp/B00CBMWBCU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_12
http://www.amazon.com/Hyperlite-Destroyer-Wakeboard-Package-Bindings/dp/B00CLY25KG/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_4
http://www.amazon.com/Hyperlite-Machete-Wakeboard-Destroyer-Bindings/dp/B00CLXU5WW/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_1

Which one should I go with? Are there any major differences between them that a beginner wouldn't know? The only real difference I see are the fins. The Hyperlite has 4 removable corner fins, whereas the Liquid Force has 4 molded corner fins and 2 removable center fins. Does that make much of a difference for stability for beginners?

Let me first say that this board will be used by myself and my wife for recreational use behind a boat. I doubt we ever go to a cable park. We just learned how to wakeboard last summer and we were using a 10 year old Hyperlite 140 that only had 2 removable center fins. How will these new boards compare? I'm 6'0", 183 and my wife is 5'3", 140. I'm needing to order it soon as we are going to the lake in a couple of weeks. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 09, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of them should be ok. They're all beginner models, but nicer than the cheapo boards you find at boating stores and stuff. Ideally you'd want a board for each of you but if you're stuck with the one (understandably so, this stuff gets expensive quick!) then you should go with something in the range of about a 138 size. You're at the upper-end of that size but it should be fine for you and will be better for your wife than putting her on something like a 141.

As far as the fins go, once you're comfortable up and riding regularly, you'll maybe want to take the center fins out of the LF board to teach you better edging technique. If you go with the Hyperlite then you obviously don't have anything to remove. It becomes a personal preference thing at that point. The extra fin on the LF will help keep you tracking in a straight line and can help stabilize you when you're beginning a bit, but you can get used to either and it's not going to make or break you in a lot of cases when it comes to balance/stability.
ouman

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to go with this one: http://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Force-Wakeboard-Package-Bindings/dp/B00CBMWBCU/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_12

You mentioned going with something around a 138. They have a 137 or 141. I was tempted to go with the 141 since my Brother in Law would be using it and he's heavier than me. They say that a 137 is for 130lbs and up and a 141 is for 170lbs and up. I wonder if the 141 would just overwhelm my wife, but be just right for myself and my BIL or would the 137 be just right for my wife, but not work well for us guys?

I have to say that the board is mainly for myself, since my wife is a skier first, but she really seemed to like wakeboarding last year and I don't want to leave her in the lurch. Unfortunately, we can't afford 2 boards. I guess my real question would be if I went with the 141, could my wife ride it comfortably or would it totally overwhelm her?
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless your wife is really learning to jump or anything, the 141 will be ok (you might have to move the bindings in to the narrowest stance when she rides though). It'll actually be a little easier for her to get up on at first due to the larger surface area, should pop her right out of the water easily. If she advances on to trying to jump or any major maneuvering, the board will be too big for her to handle and could just get frustrating. At that point though, it would make sense for her to get a board specific to her size and you can hang on to the 141.

If you got the 138 and decided that you both like wakeboarding, you'd be stuck with a board slightly too small for you, and slightly too big for her (this point could be argued, but whatever). With the 141, you and your BIL can progress on that while eventually picking up a better board for her if she sticks with it; instead of having to buy a new board for you and a new one for her if you guys both decide to take it to the next step.
ouman

PostPosted: Jul 10, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 141 should work for our situation based on your advise. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: