Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Engine Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bmock50
Outlaw
Outlaw

City: Dodge City

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Engine Help Reply with quote

When I bought my boat (1987 American Skier with a PCM 351w), I rebuilt the motor and just threw the carb that came on it back on it because I didn't think I needed a new one. First trip out, I discovered that the carb (edelbrock 1406) needed rebuilt because fuel would pour out of the primary venturies. Everything was going ok until about a month ago where every once and a while when you floored the throttle the engine would die unless you backed off, but you could back off and go right back down and it would run. Then last week the lake was really rough and we were hitting some rollers pretty hard to get to a cove to board in. We tubed and boarded for a bit, and then shut the boat off to chill for a while. When I went to start it back up, it didn't want to start. It took a while, but I got it to run so we started idling across the cove to go pick up the tubes. After we got the tubes, the motor wouldn't wrap out and would start backfiring. I made it back across the lake and pulled into the cove our marina is in and it died. Popped of the flame arrestor and fuel was pouring out of the venturies just like it had before. I let it sit for a while and then a guy that knows quite a bit about engines said he'd take a look at it. He tapped on the sides of the carb to make sure nothing was stuck and she fired right up. He also said that him and a buddy of his had this same style of carb on their trucks at one point and had nothing but trouble with them. He suggested I put an inline filter between the fuel pump and inlet on the carb, and replace the carb. So my questions are: Has anyone had similar trouble, should I wait to replace the carb to see if it happens again, and what carb should I replace it with? The 1406 is a 650cfm, and by my calculations, which I don't know much, a 500cfm would be better.

Any help would be appreciated!

Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lowell

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure it came with a Holley 4150 . It should have a water separator in line between the fuel tank and fuel pump. Is it a PCM ? Does it still have points?
bmock50
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a pcm, not sure on the ignition type. I haven't looked to see if it has a water separator either. It definitely has an edelbrock on it now though
Wheeler
Criminal
Criminal

City: Decatur, AL

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuel pouring out of the venturies is the common problem of a stuck float or dirt on the needle/seat. Taping on the carb has been the age old fix for this (not just boats).

Not having a filter could definitely cause this. Nothing really wrong with the Edelbrock 1406, it's just a copy a Carter AFB (used by GM and Chrysler).

One thing you might want to check though is your oil, if a lot of gas has been pouring out for a while, it will go past the rings and dilute the oil.
bmock50
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 07, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to know! I'll do some checking tomorrow.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: