Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Chaparral Xtreme Tow Boats, maybe wave of the future?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2013 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally watched the videos and it seems like they have some nice features and are really trying to compete with the inboards. I think many of their claims are quite a stretch, but they're doing a great job of trying to sell people on their product.

I agree with most of the comments so far and as far as deciding on what you want, you need to look at how important the water sports aspect is going to be to you versus cruising around and being able to beach the boat, etc. There will be a distinct difference in the way you are pulled up and how the boat handles pulling a rider with any I/O, compared to an inboard. The wake will be distinctly different, as well. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable surfing behind anything other than an inboard.

All in all, I know Chaparral makes nice boats and I'm sure it would be a nice boat to have. I wouldn't agree with it truly going head to head with a purpose built tow boat, though.

gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2013 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie Boarder good for you, you actually watched the videos and then gave your opinions.

That's all I ever asked for. I'm sure if MasterCraft, or Tige', or any boat manufacturer made a video of a new line of boats, they too would make their claims and boast their product. I expected that, and that is why I asked for some of you to watch the videos and see if they were making claims that were far fetched.

I haven't gotten to ride in one personally yet, maybe this weekend, but from what they said about the duo prop, and then what I have researched on them, a duo prop makes quite a bit of difference on holeshot and maintaining speed at lower speed. Plus it really helps a boat get on plane quicker with not much bow rise.

I talked to a guy that was wakeboarding behind a demo Xtreme boat and he told me the wake was pretty good. He said he could pull off just about any trick he wanted with it. He did tell me though that it's not as large as the Tige wake he rides behind in competitions. He told me the dealer didn't want to fill up the ballast tank since it was a demo, so he said he doesn't know how much that would have helped the wake. He didn;t try to wakesurf behind it so he had no opinion on that, although I have no one wanting to wakesurf in my crowd anyway.

I'm continuing to look and explore all options, but it really is looking like that might be my best bet for what I want to do personally with a boat. Only time will tell.
Okie Boarder
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Edmond

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2013 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that duo prop set up can cause a washy wake...something you might check in to.
gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2013 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I've research duo props pretty throughly, and they are suppose to put out a much cleaner wash, that in fact helps the wake.

here's quotes straight from Volvo's site:

The benefits of Duoprop

Faster acceleration
Duoprop provides up to 30 % faster acceleration and produces a top speed some 5 % faster than any conventional single propeller system.

Lower fuel consumption
With twin counter-rotating propellers, energy losses are minimized and you can stay planing at lower revs. That’s why Duoprop can help you save large amounts of fuel.

Straight tracking
Duoprop tracks straight. Check over the transom of any Duoprop powered boat. The evidence of cleaner, unruffled delivery of power is there in the wake.

Handling is better too
Whether at speed, round the buoys or when docking in a crowded marina. The grip is there – even when making sharp turns at high speeds. Duoprop also reduces the boats tendency to roll.

Lower vibration and noise levels
Duoprop produces lower vibration and noise levels due to the fact that the shock pulses are distributed over more blades. With its counter rotating propellers it’s almost cavitation free.
Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Lowell

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my number one priority is not wakeboarding. My missus and I like to take nice long boat rides listening to music. we pack the boat with friends and families and ride over to another town on our lake and get out and take in some lunch while the ladies shop and just have fun. If the water is smooth, then my son, my nieces, and nephews will get me to pull them tubing, skiing, and wakeboarding. I just want a good overall boat.

Based on your priorities stated above I think we have already established the Xtreme would probably be a good choice for you. As for wakesurfing behind it ? Did you see the disclaimer on the video it was the first thing you saw. It states that they dont recommend wakesurfing or wakeboarding unless you are a trained professional. I like the porta potty option for those long shopping trips . You can't get that on a wakeboat.
gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suprahunter, you might want to read that disclaimer again. It states that these stunts were done by trained professionals and should not be attemped by anyone who is not. I would imagine that same disclaimer would be on any boats video if they had action shots of boarders doing flying tricks, and flips.

We can stop this post now, because I'm just about 100% sure this boat will fit my needs fine. Now all I need to do is start negotiating my best price.

Thanks for all of the replys, maybe next time I seek any opinions on this forum I'll try to better explain what I'm looking for. There seem to be too much confusion and accusations on this post. But it's all good, no hard feelings here>
bjeremi
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

City: Owasso

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to realize how you come across. A number of these types of posts have been started in here and wake world. Trying to push this fancy I/O that really isn't anything special. Truthfully you could have answered all these questions your self based on the same propaganda videos that have been posted an pushed a number of times already. Quite a few people on here are just tired of hearing about this wannabe boat.

Then there your undying e-boner for the boat. You have yet to say one thing negative about the boat and when other people do you immediately go on the defensive and spew more marketing crap.

"Walks like a duck, talk like a duck".

Just give it up buddy. Please forgive any misspellings or grammar mistakes. I picked up a bottle o single barrel jack, its pretty tasty, and I'm writing this from my phone.
gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bjeremi, you might want to lay off the bottle or your too stupid to read? which is it?

I clearly said we can stop this post. Again big mouth where have I went on any defensive? Somebody states something, I counter with what I've found out...that's a debate!

Don't know what your talking about with ducks? I guess your good at ducks, or ducking? Not me buddy? Laughing ...I'll walk like a man and talk like a man all day long.

And no I didn't need any whiskey to give me nerve. Smile
bjeremi
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 11, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, I'll stop feeding the troll. Hope your not to hungry.
gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More name calling BJeremi? You must really think your a BIG man hiding behind your computer?

You my buddy? are a complete joke! By a big mirror and enjoy yourself even more. Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing
Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2013 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of your questions could have been answered by a simple test drive . You posted above July 11 2013 that you haven't even bothered to do that yet. Instead you regurgitate the same Xtream BS Chaparral has been spewing out since 2009. You do your research by using the net and getting the opinions of paid spokespeople.Then you take their words as gospel and argue with people with hands on experience. The Xtreme is a nice IO just like a dozen other brands in the same class .If you want to buy one without even looking ,driving or riding it or any other brand then Chaparral spent their advertising money wisely That video was designed to hook the uninformed with deep pockets into their showroom. People in the know have been laughing about that video for 4 years now its old news. Try using the search button and see what was written when it first came out.
I can't speak for the others but I always hold back a little giggle when I see some walley with a high priced Fakewake boat trying to make like hes real wakeboat. When you get it hang out with your IO friends and you will be accepted . You will get the same responses you got here from the inboard crowd.
gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2013 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suprahunter just about the time I think you are on the same page with me, you shoot off into another rant.

maybe I should have explained this first to all of you. Im not lucky enough to live right by a good lake, therefore there are no boat dealers within less than an hour drive or so. I live about an hour and half drive from Washington DC so most of the water there turns quickly into brackish, and then salt water. Our closest lake that is fairly nice is Lake Anna which is about a 2 hour ride from my house.

My closest Chaparral dealer does not have an Xtreme boat in stock, and the nearest one that I have found is about a 2 1/2 hour ride to PA. I do plan on going there this weekend to look at the boat, plus this dealer sells centurion boats and has a used MasterCraft, and a used Moomba in stock. So hopefully I will get to test drive a couple of them and get some straight info.

My boating is very limited each year and I would like to change that but so far havent been able to. The above lakes I mentioned I don't go to very often as they get extremely busy on the weekends and it's not much fun dodging jetskiers, and other boats. I go for two weeks a year to John Kerr Lake which is 4 plus hours from my house. This is the time I do my most boating. I envy all of you that get to use your boat weekly.

Like I've kind of come to the conclusion, I know that these V-Drives are GREAT boats for wakeboarding and things, but I think personally for me an I/O will serve me better. I will keep an open mind testing these boats this weekend and hope to finally get some hands on experience with more types of boats.

I said we can end this, and now I'm even keeping it going? My bad
Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not trying to talk you into a Inboard if fact as I said before I think it would be a mistake. After reading your post above I also think it will be a mistake to buy any NEW boat . You dont even know if you will like boating and with the limited use you describe above it doesn't make sense to buy new and take the hit on resale.
You would be better off with a clean low hour used boat . That way you will not lose that much if you decide to upgrade or get out of the sport altogether.
Good Luck with whatever you do I hope it all works out for you.
gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 12, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suprahunter, I know from what I posted it doesn't seem right to buy a new boat, but I'm at a time when it makes the most sense. I already had a 2006 Glastron Gx205 twenty foot bow rider, for the past 5 years and it was a great boat for my needs. I put a Monster tower on it, and a pretty decent stereo and it served us well.

My whole family (3 brothers, their wives and kids, my wife, my son and his wife, my mom, my aunt, and so on) goes two weeks a year to the John Kerr Lake for a week of camping and boating. My 3 brother s all have boats also. Definetely have to have a boat as there is nothing to do there but get on the water. So I already know I like boating even though we don't do it more than we do each summer. That will soon change as we are starting to go on mid week trips to some of the smaller lakes.

I just sold my boat, as I felt it was time to get a new one. I started to look at new Glastrons, and then ran across these Chaparral boats. Then I thought well maybe I'll try to get some input and opinions on them, and you can see where this led. Even though I tried to clearly say I was not cutting down any boats, some of you took that I was trying to say this Xtreme boat was equal to/or better than true wakeboarding boats. Again that was never my thought nor intention.

I thought while we had this post going, I would ask if the ride in chop and a few others things have changed on true wakeboarding boats, since I last looked at them, thinking maybe I ought to keep an open mind about them now also in my search for a new boat. Again some took this as I was saying the Xtreme boat was equal/better again. and again that was never my intention or thoughts.

I know enough about boats, and things to know that this Chaparral Xtreme boat was not going to be "equal to the wake size" of a true wakeboading boat, but maybe the I/O had made some strong strides to become a better water sports oriented boat. Or maybe just the opposite that some of the newer true wakeeboarding boats had become better at fuel effiency and better ride in choppy water, and maybe a better way to beach them. That's why I started this post to just be able to hear some pros and cons and make my final decision.

It's has been made clear now that, 1. Some took my intentions completely away from what I thought I was posting. 2. I now see I should have better explained my intentions and wants. 3. That this was really probably the wrong place to start this discussion in the first place.

So I'll take some of the blame and hope we can all move on. What ever I decide to buy, I'll be adding some stereo components to it. The Extreme comes with wetsounds on the tower, but I don't think they are in the boat. Either way I'm sure I'll be adding some things. I got to have my music, I'm a semi retired drummer and an avid rocker!!

Thanks guys!!
ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again I don't know who told you that you can't beach an inboard, but instead of listening to you spout misinformation further I though I'd go ahead and post a picture of v-drives beached at Lake Anna.

253179_10150194268052679_3375691_n.jpg

Description:
 Filesize:  44.97 KB
 Viewed:  25999 Time(s)

gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ridininmd, I really don't care what you post or your opinions. I have never spouted anything, just simply relayed either what I had read, or was told. The actual dealer who sells MasterCraft's told me you can "beach a V-drive", but he doesn't recommend it. He told me it's easy to ding up the prop, which in turn will cause a vibration which in turn will cause more trouble. Where I mainly boat there are a few "true wakeboarding boats", there and all of them have a rope tied to a tree and then they drive their boat a little out into the cove, drop an anchor, and then backup to get that rope tight and then tie off to the tree rope.

Good to know you go to Lake Anna, I frequent that lake some myself, maybe we will run into each other there?........like to see if your so mouthy in person? Rolling Eyes
Bowen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Dallas...I miss SoCal

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll allow me to get one last kick of an already dead horse:

I recommend that you take a newer 23 or 24 ft drive out in chop and actually feel how it handles...it's not too shabby. You keep talking about the chop and how you've heard wake boats don't handle it well but I didn't see where you had actually been in one in the chop. My lake house is on a lake known to be very choppy. I grew up behind an I/O, then I started riding other people's wake boats and got allot better at riding. It came time for my family to buy a new boat, and as bad as I wanted us to get a wake boat I made the decision to go I/O we got a Cobalt with a tower and dual prop and perfect pass. We got it because of the chop.It was a super nice boat and we would put fat sacs in it to help the wake.

Fast forward a few years. We were in the market for a new boat. I get to make the decision again, I looked at, drove and rode behind everything. You wanna know what I found to be my favorite family/wake boat on the market? A wakesetter 23 LSV. I have a big family and a 2 year old son and am on a choppy lake.

You know what else? My neighbor who was in a similar spot feel in love with the way ours handles that he just got one for his family. We were both I/O owners on a choppy lake who switched to vdrives for the handling and performance on our lake.

But you seem to have already made up your mind to spend a ton of money on a boat without researching (so it seems from this thread) the other options out there. All I can say is that I would recommend a vdrive as a family boat any day of the week...even if the purchaser wasn't that into wakeboarding.

Good luck.

Excuse any errors. On my phone...sober.
gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bowen, thats a good post! That is what I wondering about if some of the things I have read or heard were true. Your the second one who has told me a bigger V=Drive has a better ride in choppy water.

I have not made up my mind yet, I'm going to investigate a few different boats before I pull the trigger.

thanks for your input!
bjeremi
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww come on Bowen, I only had one when I posted lol!
Bowen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Side note: many wake boats have been APPRECIATING in value for about a decade now. Your I/O will not hold its value. Period. Look at the used boat prices for a used Chapparal vs. A used Malibu/mc/cc/supra/tige of the same year. You might be shocked as to what you see.
pennsforest04

City: Pittsburgh / Richmond

PostPosted: Jul 18, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist. It seems like you are set on the Chaparral, good for you. I honestly hope you are happy with your purchase if you do decide to go through with it. That being said, nobody personally attacked you, you lashed out first at posts that didn't speak glowingly of Chaparral and then cried foul when someone responded as if you were a victim. You asked for opinions, got them, and then disregarded any that didn't fall in line with what you believed or those that said something marginally negative about the Xtreme as a wakeboat. You said it yourself, wakeboarding isn't a first priority, so why then get mad at people (on a site completely dedicated to wakeboarding / wakesurfing) here who accurately and truthfully told you an I/O couldn't ever hope to realistically compete with a purpose built inboard in terms of watersports performance. In addition, you said you knew enough about boats to know that the Xtreme wouldn't put out the same quality of wake as an inboard. If so, why challenge the people who basically just validated that statement in the first place?

Secondly, your first post to start this thread sounded almost identical to Chaparral sales reps who tried to push the Xtreme as the industry's new top of the line wakeboard boat 4 years ago. I'm not saying you are a sales rep, but you didn't exactly do yourself any favors whether you knew about or not.

I personally find those videos insulting and downright despicable. Also, I find it repulsive that Chaparral put out a disclaimer absolving them of all liability and saying they don't endorse wakesurfing and then show footage of someone wakesurfing behind the boat 30 seconds later. That is the same as Phillip Morris saying they don't endorse young kids smoking then airing an ad on the Disney Channel showing a little kid in a cowboy costume smoking Marlboro Reds.

RANT OVER

gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2013 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pennsforest04, I guess you are just another who reads what you want to, and then leave the whole picture out.

I'd like to know where I cried foul? Almost everyone that posted on here immediately took offense to my post, and never actually read what I posted. I never once said this Xrtreme boat was better than an inboard, nor did I ever say the wake was better, and so on. I tried to ask,"Is this boat being an I/O, the start of something new towards wakeboarding?" I honestly didn't know of the boat and was just asking a question.

Now I have come to find out that this boat has been out for a few years and that there had already been a discussion on it. My bad, didn't know that!

Someone would post something, I would post my opinion on that subject. That's a good discussion to me, but not to some of you. You guys act like if one of your regulars post their opinion it immediately becomes fact and can't be challenged. Sorry I don't work like that. I do plenty of my own research, and listen to both sides and try to make an honest conclusion.

One posted "it's just another standard I/O,with a tower and a marketing plan!". I felt that not's entirely true. This boat comes with a wakeboartd tower, wetsounds, perfect pass, and ballast all stock equipment. Unless I'm mistaken I think it's the only I/O that is equipped like that from the factory, so No it isn't the same.

Another posted a duo prop "washes out the wake", again I've found multiple things that say just the opposite. again there is always two sides to a story.

I thought?, I would get some honest pro/cons of each boat. That never happened. On here it's either an inboard/v-drive, or it ain't worth crap.

Even though it's hard for a lot of you to believe, I actually like the looks of a "true wakeboarding boat", and was/am?, still debating. But, my main questions were, has the ride gotten any better in an inboard on a choppy lake?, is all of the seating as low as I have found on a few boats I've seen in person, do any of them ahve any storage under the bow seats, etc. never really got any answers on those questions, except a few did act like the inboards were still not a boat for choppy water.

Only problem I had, or cried foul, was when a couple of them on here wanted to be mouthy, or/and judge me! I'm not that kind of person. I don't sit behind a computer and become brave and mouthy. If I've got a beef with someone I'll take care of it face to face. I never insulted or disrespect anyone here, like I have been treated.

As far as the videos that Chaparral put out let's get real? How about reading the whole disclaomer. Where did they say they don'r endorse wakesurfing? They stated the tricks of these wakeboarders and wakesurfers shown are by professionals, and they don't recommend anyone who is not a trained professional to attempt these stunts, as they will not be liable. that's not word for word but that's generally what they posted. Watch an episode of Jackass, or Nitro Circus and you'll see practically the same disclaimer, as I'm sure masterCraft, Tige", etc. would do if they made a video of riders doing tricks and things.

Good thing I don't read blueprints like a few of you guys read things! There would be a lot of things missing when I was finished?, with the house. It's pretty remarkable, how some of you only read what you want to read, and believe what you want to believe.

We might have few future senators, congressmen, or maybe presidents lurking here? Oooops!, Now that might have been an insult?

It's real clear to me that if I do decide to buy the Xtreme, then I will not post about it here on this site. If I decide to end up buying a v-drive(looking at a 24 footer, which I'm told handle the chop better), then I'll be sure to come back and receive my praises and awards.

I really do appreciate the few on here that actually gave good opinions, and knowledge, and tried to be helpfull...........the other ones? Not so much!

Peace Out
pennsforest04

City: Pittsburgh / Richmond

PostPosted: Jul 19, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, you continue to paint yourself as the victim while throwing little jabs here and there. Read the through the thread again bud, I think you are the one who with a selective memory. The worst anybody says is that it is a jazzed up I/O with a good marketing plan (I'll get to that later). Ridinmind gives his opinion and you immediately dismissed him as being too PRO INBOARDS for his thoughts to count. His judgement must have been clouded by his bias despite the fact that he, for all intensive purposes, agreed that the Xtreme would fit your needs if you weren't completely focused on wakeboarding (WHICH YOU WEREN'T).

He gave you an honest opinion that did not attack or insult you, yet you got on your condescending pedestal and said you're looking for "unbiased opinions". GOD FORBID RIDINMIND didn't like the wake the Xtreme was throwing up! He must not be enlightened. Rolling Eyes I think you forget how many people (including myself - 1986 Baja Islander 180) started on I/Os and then moved to inboards. These guys and gals probably know what they're talking about. This brings me back to the first and fundamental point which I'll state again, YOU ASKED FOR OPINIONS! Nobody mandated them as gospel or said you had to use them in your decision. Instead you chose to attack them as being uninformed or close minded (despite the fact that they are based off actual real experience riding behind the boats - something of which you did not have when you started this thread Wink). You didn't challenge them, you dismissed them as "haters". If you really want to help making a decision, I'll echo others' previous statements to demo the boats and see for yourself. That's the best research you can possibly get!

Addressing your comment about Chaparral being better then other I/Os because of all those stock features, sure, we'll go with it. That being said, throwing on a tower, perfect pass, and Wet Sounds doesn't make it wakeboard boat. Perfect pass and ballast might help the boat some, but it still will have trouble tracking, especially when the rider pulls out wide and builds up line load. Secondly, that boat is still going to have to work a lot harder to get up on plane when you have full capacity. Those outdrives simply do not have as much torque and pulling power as an inboard. I/Os also are a lot more weight sensitive than V-Drives, making it a lot harder to consistently throw out a good wake.

If you can provide evidence to actually back up your statement about the duo props, I'd honestly like to see it. As for your ignorant statement about this site being inboards or nothing, take a look at the "share your boat" threads and then remove your foot from your mouth.

Yes, an I/O will still be better in rough water in my opinion, but it's not nearly as bad as some claim. The overall freeboard and seating on a lot of inboard brands has gotten a lot higher and deeper over the past couple of years. In terms of bow storage on inboards, almost all wakeboard boats have decent capacity under the seats nowadays.

You can spin it anyway you want, that disclaimer is written in such a slimy way for the sole reason to absolve the company of any liability should someone try to wakesurf behind it. It's a downright immoral business plan to try and capitalize on the growing popularity of wakesurfing PERIOD! Have you seen any other I/Os promote wakesurfing behind their boats? No, MasterCraft, Tige don't have any disclaimers such as this. Correct me if I'm wrong someone, but the only warning inboard manufacturers have for wakesurfing involves the carbon dioxide fumes.

Finally, I do hope that you do come back and post pictures of whatever boat you buy. More importantly, I hope you enjoy your purchase with your family.

gx205
Outlaw
Outlaw

PostPosted: Jul 20, 2013 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pennsforest04, It's clear you have your opinions and I have mine. I don't know how many times I have to say it, so it's probably mute this time also I NEVER DISPUTED ANYONES CLAIMS, JUST MERELY CAME BACK WITH ANOTHER VIEW OF WHAT I HAD BEEN TOLD OR READ.

I have owned a few boats myself, and I'm no newbie to the boating world, or someone who is totally lacked in knowledge of boats.

I just sold my 2006 Glastron 205 that had a v-8 motor in it, and I can tell you personally that boat NEVER had a problem pulling a wakeboarder, skier, or tube with a full load on the boat. In fact the boat would hold 10 people, and I had 9 adults in it, and I pulled up my nephew who is over 200 pounds on one ski, very easily. Now if you know anything about that, pulling up a skier on one ski is probably the hardest tug you'll get on a boat. So if you think an I/O struggles to get up on plane, you've either rode in a 4cy/v6 boat, or and older hull version. Also That same nephew and his brother would wakeboard behind that boat and swing way out and come back and jump the wake, the younger nephew could even swing his legs back out and over his head while clearing the wakes, and they never moved, or made my boat track different. That is all facts!!

Now was the throttle a little tough to control and keep a steady speed at all times? Absolutely!! Did it have a hugh wake behind it? absolutely not.

I don't know why I keep posting on this site, because it's obvious I have become the "bad guy, sales rep, troll, wannabe, etc", but here's what I have found out so far.

Yesterday I went and looked at the Xtreme boat in PA, and rode on it. It's a leftover 2012, but a customer has already put a depoit on it. They got permission to take me and my wife out on it for a short spin. It has a 350 v-8 motor in it, and it jumps up on to plane faster than my glastron. The salesman told me the duoprop really helps the holeshot. The water behind the prop was way cleaner than my previous single prop, so now I have seen for a fact that the duoprop is indeed a much better system than the single prop. The salesman set the perfect pass to 20.4 mph and then hit the throttle ans let it take over, and the boat sat right at that speed. He even made turns, and it continued to stay at speed. Plus the wake behind was pretty good, much better than what I just sold, and he still hadn't tried the ballast. The fit/finish was class A, the storage and layout on this boat is awesome. Overall I'm still really impressed with it. I just wish we could have taken a longer ride and did more things with it, but being they have a deposit on it, they couldn't do a lot with it, and I fully understood.

I met the wakeboarder I had mentioned, and he told me again how he had no problems with the wake and pulling off his tricks. He actually had quite a few nice things to say about the Chaparral and he's a dedicated wakeboarder. He took us out on his Malibu boat. It's a 2007 Malibu LSV Wakesetter, 23 footer?, I think. It was a real nice boat. It didn't ride through the chop as good as the Chaparral, but it handled it much better than I was told. It had a nice layout and was well built, but in my opinion it's seating wasn't as comfortable as the other boat. He showed me the wake this boat would do, and yes it was bigger than the Chaparral's, but again he told me he had no problems doing tricks behind the chaparral. He said in his opinion, if you run across "pro" wakeboarders they are going to want the biggest wake thay can get to try and get as much height as they can on any given trick. Your "normal" for fun wakeboarder will pretty much be happy with any kind of a decent wake, that he can get some "pop" off of.

So, yes I'm still impressed with the Chaparral, but I'm still looking, and debating. I don't know if this malibu was a true 23 footer, or that included the swim platform since the Chaparral was a 21 footer and the Malibu was really close to the same size as far as seating and interior space. I was told on here the 24' and up boats rode better, so now that's got me thinking.

Not that it will change your mind pennforest04, but here's that disclaimer word for word:

"The action sequences shown in this video are performed by highly trained stunt performers in the wakeboard and motion picture industry. The wakeboard and wake surfing sequences shown can be extremely dangerous and should under no circumstances be attempted or duplicated by any individual who is not a trained, professional operating in a controlled enviroment. Chaparral Boats assumes no liability, nor do we endorse attempting any of the stunts shown. Comparative performance data used in this video can vary according to conditions."

Now point out where it has any false info? You had better open your eyes to the real "sue happy world" I'll guarantee you that if ANY boat company shows a video of their boat in action and riders pulling off multiple tricks, that they will have the same type of disclaimer attached. Hell I have to put up all types of disclaimer type signs on my jobsites to just try and divert any type of a lawsuits. If a kid hurts himself playing in a freshly dug hole that I just dug foir a basement, I could be held accountable if I don't have the right type of signs posted on my jobsite, and i could go on with different senarios. The legal system is an absolute joke, and you'd better have your butt covered, because there is always someone out there looking to bring up a ridiculous lawsuit.

Anyhow this is my last post on this. I'll decide what to buy, and hopefully I'll be satisfied.

Peace Out
Suprahunter
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep looking through those rose colored glasses . You claim to have experience with other boats yet your posts show your ignorance . Just buy it and stop wasting time trying to get wakeboarders to agree with your decision . I view you as a newbie drinking the koolaid passed out by the builder, dealer and paid professionals. The good news is its a nice boat and you will get years of fun with it . If you ever get serious about the sport then you will see its shortcomings.
Bowen
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 21, 2013 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gx205, FYI, anyone who is a half decent rider should be able to do all/most of their tricks behind any reasonable wake. I could go out behind our old cobalt and throw my entire bag of tricks without much of an issue. The problem is that you have to work a lot harder to do it. So it sounds like you know a pretty good objective rider. He's not trying to sway you one way or the other but he's also not telling you the whole story.

I'm glad to see you went out in a wakesetter 23 LSV. As you said the ride in chop isn't terrible. Its not an I/O but it isn't bad. So now you have to ask yourself if you will really be in such horrible conditions that it matters. No one likes being out in chop and most of the people I know avoid it (no matter the boat they have).

You'll make the right decision for you but I stand by my wake boat being the best family boat on the market recommendation.
buckthis
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Orlando

PostPosted: Jul 27, 2013 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"On here it's either an inboard/v-drive, or it ain't worth crap."
No, On here its either an inboard/ v-drive, or it IS a piece of crap!
and yes I would tell that to your face(Don't really know why that is so important to you)
You sound like a little whiny kid, trying to convince us that wearing your panties on the outside of your pants is OK. It is NOT! I was just out in my 2005 VLX on lake Michigan on the weekend and although it was too choppy to wakeboard, we did do some surfing, but surfing is only done by MEN, behind MANLY boats so you will never know the feeling, sorry and have a great life behind your I/O.

FlyZone CR
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica

PostPosted: Oct 11, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo, gx205, how do you like your Xtreme?
wakecis

City: NYC

PostPosted: Oct 20, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Chaparral Reply with quote

Had a 236 for 14 years. First chappy installed i.o skylon. Best non-wakeboarding boat I've ridden behind. Yes, wake is flatter, but duo prop gets great hole shot, good handling, steady pull. Can do all my tricks, but some adjustment needed. Crow mobe , number of 5's. tantrums suck, but its a fun boat. Have a 256 on order w tower.
Brit Rider
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Cheshire, England

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you'd come on here with only a single post to share this with it.
bjeremi
Soul Rider
Soul Rider

PostPosted: Oct 22, 2013 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting... Been lurking since 2008!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Add To Favorites

Jump to: