Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

How big is too big?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshft91

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: How big is too big? Reply with quote

I'm looking at getting myself a used board. Right now I'm 5'11, 155lbs. From what I've read, I'd ideally want a board that's in the 135-139cm range. After looking on Craigslist a bit, I came across this board:

O'Brien Ambush 143.

http://i.imgur.com/4eR53Zc.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/2WjblfZ.jpg

It's fairly bigger than what would be ideal, but I wanted to get your guys' thoughts on it.

How is the O'Brien Ambush wakeboard?
Is the size too big for me?

Thanks.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a great board but if you're just looking to try out wakeboarding it will be fine for at least learning how to get up on the water and carve around a little. What kind of a budget are you working with? I'd only go with that if you can get it REALLY cheap.

With that said, it'll probably be a bit big for you. Again, fine for learning to get up and carve around if you can get it dirt cheap but you're probably better off looking some more if you want something that will last more than a season or two.
joshft91

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. You summed up what I was thinking.

I've been wakeboarding for a couple summers now and have just been using a family board with bindings that are just too small.

I wouldn't call myself a good wakeboard by any means but I'm able to get up, cross wakes, etc. so I'm ready to start trying different tricks which would lead me to think I should get a board that fits me well.

That said, ideally I'm working with a budget of around $150 but would be willing to stretch it a little bit. I'm really not sure what to look for so any advice you guys have would be great.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look for closeouts on websites like boardstop.com, buywake.com, and evo.com. You can probably get a completely new setup (boots and board) for around $200 if you're willing to stretch your budget a bit. That will get you a decent board and bindings package from a good brand name that will last at least a while.
joshft91

PostPosted: Jun 26, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Is there any good way to watch for closeout deals or to just go to each site's wakeboard packages page?

Also, would you recommend not buying used off a place like Craigslist?
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joshft91, Just gotta keep an eye on those sites. Winter is always a good time to take a look if you want a few more options though as shops should be anticipating their next year's line of gear and wanting to move through whatever was left over from last season, but you can generally find a great deal year-round.

Craigslist is fine if you know what you're shopping for and actually great if you're looking to buy used because you can see the decks in person before buying. I find a lot of people try to overcharge for what they have but if you find something feel free to post it here and get feedback/a rough idea of what you should be paying for it. Wakeboards don't really hold value if they've been used more than a handful of times or are more than a couple years old but for some reason people will put up a very old wakeboard like the one you posted for $100+ when really they should probably be letting it go for $60 tops for the combo.

If you don't find anything you really like, give Performance Ski & Surf in Orlando a call and tell them what you're looking for and for how much. Sometimes they don't post older gear on the site and you have to visit or call to find out what they have when it comes to gear from previous seasons. They'll ship to you and are very helpful.
joshft91

PostPosted: Jun 27, 2013 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you a ton for the detailed response; it helps a lot. If I had been doing this the right way I would have started looking during the winter.

I just have a couple other questions for you:

1) How do you feel about buying boards/bindings from Ebay? I was reading that sometime it can be a good place to get a good board/bindings for a decent price.

2) What are some brands/models that are good intermediate boards?

Thanks much.
joshft91

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on a Hyperlite Fluid 137? It's definitely closer to the size I have been looking for.

Here are a couple pictures of it:

http://i.imgur.com/wTtpwwQ.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/KoCI1kc.jpg
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 28, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, that's a very low-end/old board. You can tell by the very simple, rounded shape and the singular, large center fins that it's an older style. Many boards now rely on four molded-in or removable fins, one closer to each corner of the board.

I hear good things about the Hyperlite State for beginners. Generally can be found fairly cheap but is still a decent board. An entry level design that can keep up with you for a while.

As far as ebay goes, I've only gotten a couple of things of there but it's a great place to look. Make sure you get some decent photos of what you're buying and check the seller rating to make sure they're trustworthy, the usual things when purchasing on ebay.

Brands: Look for Hyperlite, Liquid Force, CWB, Slingshot, CTRL, and Ronix. Check their websites, any of the models you will find listed on there are great boards. Try to find the same model/name board but just a year or two older (for example, if you like the current Liquid Force Witness, look for a 2011 witness online, or whatever name board you see). Some companies do make lower-end, entry level boards, but they aren't often featured on the brands main site and can only be found in generic boating or sporting goods stores.

I made a post on my blog here (http://wakethings.blogspot.com/2013/02/countdown-5-tips-for-buying-wakeboard.html) for some general things to think about when buying a new board. A lot of what I already mentioned to you is in there.

And one last thing. Don't get too hung-up on "advanced" boards vs. beginner boards if you see that terminology on a website. You will likely not ever find a board "too advanced" for you to ride, especially if you already know how to get up and carve around. It's much better to get a more technical board that you can learn and grow with than a board that is old or will slow your progression down.
joshft91

PostPosted: Jun 29, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your response. That will help me a lot getting started...hopefully I can find something soon!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Newbie Questions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: