Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Wakejumping question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
austin03

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Wakejumping question Reply with quote

Hey guys,
First time posting on here, but got a question for you.

I got a hyperlite state board and I can edge pretty good ( I think anyways), but when i go off of my toe side edge to come back on my heel edge to hit the jump I just can not get any pop or distance. I can not get height or length and I have no idea what I am doing wrong.
I do not have a video of me wakeboarding. I think it is my timing and the knee bend/unbend that I am struggling with. If you guys got any pointers on this area please let me know.

Also, what are easiest first "jump" tricks to learn in your opinion

Thanks!
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2013 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Video would help more than anything so, if it is at all possible, get some and post it.

Without video, all we can really do is tell you the basics:

Edge harder and harder as you approach the wake. Don't set your edge and figure you just have to haul @$$ to the wake to make it. If you watch videos online you'll see a lot of good riders who can start edging at the foam of the wake and get huge pop. That is because they understand how to increase the edge as they go up the wake.

When you are edging as hard as you should be, the people in the boat should be able to clearly see the graphics on the bottom of your board. Not just kind of make out the colors, but literally be able to see the bottom of your board REALLY well. If they can't, you aren't edging hard enough. Again, this should be happening as you are going up the wake-not out in the flats when you first cut in toward the wake. What it finally took for me to feel it was to edge hard and then as I was starting to go up the wake, edge 50% harder. It taught me that I was barely edging at all even though I thought I was.

As for tricks, get your W2W jumps both heelside and toeside first. Then move up to 1 wake 180's and then to W2W 180's in both directions.

Get some video! Even from a phone or tablet is better than nothing.

austin03

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man!
I appreciate the help.
man I didnt know i would have to edge/go on my heels so far that the people in the boat would be able tos ee the bottom of my board.

one more stupid question probably, but I can learn a lot easier if its in writing as logn as on video.

can you please explain to me what to do with my knees?

Thank you so much man
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use your knees to generate pop. As you come in toward the wake you should be sort of squatted like you are going to sit in a chair. Not squatted as far down as a catcher in baseball, but you should have your knees bent a little bit like when you're going to sit. Some people call this the chair position or the seated position.

Be in the seated position when you hit the wake, but DO NOT absorb the wake with your knees or hips. If anything, try to dig your heels in just a little harder so that you are nearly locking your knees as you go up the wake.

Another way to put it that I have recently heard is that you should be in the seated position with your chest pointing toward the sky as you go up the wake. If your chest is pointed at the boat, or just barely above it, then you are not edging hard enough.

From my post above, make sure you don't set that hard of an edge out in the flats! You want to build your edge up gradually as you get closer and closer to the wake so that the bottom of your board is very visible to the boat right at the moment you are going up the wake. This is called a progressive edge-it increases progressively as get closer and closer to the wake. The opposite of that would be to lay onto the edge that hard out in the flats and just charge the wake. Doing that will get you across the wake but you won't generate much pop up in the air for tricks; you'll barely get any air at all doing it that way and your speed will be what carries you over the wake. Plus it is hard on your knees and body to do that.

austin03

PostPosted: Jun 24, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.

I think I start my edge way to early and dont progress into a stronger edge.
I will have to try putting all this together. Good luck me haha.

Do i straighten my legs as i go over the wake? or do i stay "seated" from the moment i hit the hardest part of my edge to th emoment i land the jump?
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 25, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay seated as long as possible and then try to straighten your legs as you go up the wake while you remain seated. This is the "point your chest to the sky" thing I mentioned before. You don't have to lock your knees completely. Just be sure not to absorb any of the wake with your knees or hips.

Once you're in the air you'll come out of that position but try to hold it while you're getting used to jumping/landing so that you don't eat it too often while you're learning.

Good luck and have fun!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Trick Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: