Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

What type of gas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgs917
Addict
Addict

City: Spartanburg

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: What type of gas? Reply with quote

What type of gas are you'll using in your boats? I have a 2000 SAN that I bought last fall, and I downloaded a manual but cannot find where it says fuel type.
kartman
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: meridian, Idaho

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2013 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a guy come in the shop today, filled his centurion plumb full of diesel. said boat wasnt running right. hmmm, i wonder why??? so i would say stay away from diesel.

what motor? not many need premium, you should be just fine on either reg. or mid.

boardersdad

PostPosted: Jun 18, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great topic.

The two PCM engine manuals over at Correct Craft Fan say the following:

Quote:

Fuel Requirements

Use any good grade automotive regular or premium gasoline with a minimum average octane rating of...

pre-1989 engine manual: "88* (93 research)"
1989 engine manual: "89*"

...in your PCM engine.

An...

pre-1989 engine manual: "86* average octane (90 research) gasoline"
1989 engine manual: "87* average octane gasoline"

...may be used if the gasoline described above is not available; however, the ignition timing MUST BE retarded 4 degrees to prevent harmful detonation. (note: pre-1989 manual pdf file has a typo, showing "41" instead of 4 plus the degrees symbol)

*New U.S. Regulation requires posting average of research and motor octane. (note: 1989 engine manual adds: "(R + M/2)", meaning (R+M)/2 )

PCM reserves the right to refuse warranty on parts which are damaged when using improper gasolines.

As far as regular, midgrade, and premium gasoline... from Exxon/Mobil:
Quote:
"Gasolines are rated based on octane. In most areas of the country our regular gasoline is 87 octane, midgrade is 89 and premium is 91 – 93."

So to meet the specification in the manual, we should run midgrade or premium, unless we want to retard the ignition timing.

I've always ran premium without incident in my 40 year old Mercruiser 140 (straight 4 cylinder GM block). I've always added lead substitute and I've always stabilized every drop (never know if a problem will arise and that ends up being my final tank full of the season... and stabilizer is really cheap compared to fuel problems in the Spring). We just got our 1984 SN2001, so we'll be using premium fuel with lead substitute and stabilizer, just like in the other boat.

I'd love to hear other's experiences. Thanks.

edit: I forgot to add that for those of us in regions of the country requiring "reformulated gas" (gas containing ethanol--proven to be a complete scam, btw), some areas allow stations to carry premium "recreational" fuel with no ethanol. This is absolutely worth the cost, unless you have changed out all the rubber seals in your older engine (not many have). If you must use gas with ethanol, the marine gas stabilizers supposedly help reduce the damage the ethanol can do to your fuel system.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Wakeboard Boat General Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: