Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

School me on: The Florida Keys

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrtnDan
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: School me on: The Florida Keys Reply with quote

I'm thinking about a vacation in the Florida Keys. My boss has a house on Islamarada I might use, but need a back up.

Anyone have any thoughts? recommendations?

26 years old, will be traveling with my girlfriend. Enjoy lazy beach days, and night life.
jt09
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Austin

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty sure ohsix and haugy both had pretty extensive reports somewhere on here.
ohsix
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only stayed on Key West.

Here's the thread:

http://forums.wakeboarder.com/viewtopic.php?t=91253
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive heard that the best thing to do is just drive up and down the keys, apparently its a pleasant drive.
BrtnDan
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2013 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaaaaand thanks.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jun 10, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I saw, you will get the lazy days in Islamaroda, but the night life will be fairly limited. The beaches aren't what I would normally think of as beaches either, but a lot depends on where the house is. There were some restaurant/bars along the highway and on the beach, but others could probably tell you more about the area. You are in no mans land between South Beach and Key west where the real parties will be.

The fishing is world class. I have some friends that go down every year and rent a houseboat to use as a base for fishing out of.
Partyb
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Lantana, FL

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2013 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in south FL and have been to the Keys many times. I do not think it is the place for you and your gf based on your age and needs; beach and night life.

Islamorada is about in the middle of the keys, and it is quite nice and beautiful. However, if your main goal is not fishing or diving, you will do everything there is to do there in one day and be bored on day two. Yes, there are beaches, but they are not the nice sandy beaches you want. They are more like "bay beaches." You would not seek them out. As far as night life, forget it. You can travel to KW for more night life, but it is a good trip from Islamorada and I would not want to make that trip back after a night out. There is only one road for the cops to watch. Also, IMO, KW has gotten very touristy with all the cruise ships now and it is simply not the same. I will not be going back there for a looooooong time (I just went there in March).

For beaches and nightlife for two 26yo's I would not go to the Keys. Most major spots in FL will be much better; SoBe, Ft. Lauderdale, Delray Beach, etc and etc. All will have better beaches and nightlife, and you can fish and dive too.

Also, on the weekends in the summer the Keys are full of Floridians on vacation. Not a bad thing, but don't expect a ghost town on the weekends.

I'm happy to answer other questions. Safe travels.
ridininmd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 12, 2013 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Partyb wrote:
I live in south FL and have been to the Keys many times. I do not think it is the place for you and your gf based on your age and needs; beach and night life.

Islamorada is about in the middle of the keys, and it is quite nice and beautiful. However, if your main goal is not fishing or diving, you will do everything there is to do there in one day and be bored on day two. Yes, there are beaches, but they are not the nice sandy beaches you want. They are more like "bay beaches." You would not seek them out. As far as night life, forget it. You can travel to KW for more night life, but it is a good trip from Islamorada and I would not want to make that trip back after a night out. There is only one road for the cops to watch. Also, IMO, KW has gotten very touristy with all the cruise ships now and it is simply not the same. I will not be going back there for a looooooong time (I just went there in March).

For beaches and nightlife for two 26yo's I would not go to the Keys. Most major spots in FL will be much better; SoBe, Ft. Lauderdale, Delray Beach, etc and etc. All will have better beaches and nightlife, and you can fish and dive too.

Also, on the weekends in the summer the Keys are full of Floridians on vacation. Not a bad thing, but don't expect a ghost town on the weekends.

I'm happy to answer other questions. Safe travels.

Agreed!

I get down to the keys once a month or so to go fishing, usually staying around marathon/islamorada area. The fishing and boating is amazing, but if you're not taking a boat you're going to get bored really quick. Not much to do, there are some cool bars and restaurants but I agree with Partyb that you'd probably have more fun somewhere else. Although if your boss is letting you use the place for free it might be worth it if it's on the water.

You'd probably have fun in KW, there are some great restaurants and the bars can get pretty crazy. Not much for beaches though. There isn't much to do there other than drink and it's lost a lot of it's character since being over run by foreign tourist coming off cruise ships. Pretty much the only way I'll go to KW anymore is if it's for the off shore boat races. Otherwise the whole place kinda feels like ground hog day.
eeven73

City: Halfway

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a long drive, but I actually enjoyed the drive down the keys from Miami. I wasn't in any rush and was enjoying the sun after leaving rainy OR. So take it for what it is worth.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It is a long drive, but I actually enjoyed the drive down the keys from Miami. I wasn't in any rush and was enjoying the sun after leaving rainy OR. So take it for what it is worth.

I absolutely hated the drive. We're looking at going back this fall and we're probably going to fly in to Key West. Southwest is running a sale through today and I'll gladly pay it not to have to deal with everyone doing 40 for 3-4 hours.
ohsix

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the drive was worth making once. It is a slow drive, but I enjoyed seeing the abandoned rail bridge that parallels the highway in places. After making the drive both ways, I'd probably fly since I've seen it already. That's sort of how I feel about Key West though. I probably won't be going back anytime soon just because I feel like a I thoroughly experienced everything there and would rather see new places than go back.
GnarShredd
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: St Pete.

PostPosted: Jun 13, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohsix, I feel the same way. Spent 5 night in Key West a couple of years ago and pretty much did everything there was to do without leaving the island. Me and the girl had an absolute blast but any longer and I would have been bored. There's nothing I'm really going to miss or is making me want to go back any time soon but I'm glad we did it at least once.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: