Wakeboarder Forum Index

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   StatisticsStats   FavoritesFavorites   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages  Log inLog in 
BlogsBlogs   

Self centered athletes - what do you think?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

City: Boerne

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Self centered athletes - what do you think? Reply with quote

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9404692/nba-finals-2013-chris-bosh-miami-heat-fans-watch-game-home

Quote:
"For all those guys who left, make sure you don't come to Game 7," center Chris Bosh deadpanned before the team's practice session Wednesday. "We only want the guys who are going to stay in the building for the whole game. You never give up. People gave up on us. They can stay where they are and watch the game at home."

If you bought a ticket you are entitled to leave whenever you want to! Shut up Bosh, you are getting paid to play the game whether people watch you or not.

Go Spurs!
wakechick13
Addict
Addict

City: Lake Lewisville, Texas

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the Spurs to kill the Heat. I hate that entire team. The players are very stuck up and think they are the absolute best. That quote just proves it right.
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bosh better not ever play for an LA team! Laughing

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they leave early pretty regularly?

I don't have a problem leaving early at all. I remember when I went down to college station to watch Tech's last game there. I wasn't about to watch the 4th quarter after what A&M was doing to us. Especially since the Rangers were in a playoff game at the same time. The guy I went with was a stay until the games over kinda guy, I told him i'll be at a bar across the street.

But then there was the 2006 bowl game against Minnesota, turned that one off early too...I didn't believe it when I got a text saying we won and how awesome the 4th qtr was.
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Jackson

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's your definition of self-centered? Really?

You're a Spurs fan and you're looking for something to get on the Heat about. Maybe you should take out your frustration on Ginobli for the series he is having.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew, I defined self-centered?

I consider that self-centered, I guess you don't, that's fine.

Ginobli looked like an amateur in game 6 for sure and played crappy most of the year, he did look good in game 5. I'm not a huge basketball fan though so no frustration to take out, thanks for the suggestion though. I will actually be relieved when its all over, the games are way past my bedtime.

Last edited by jgriffith on Jun 20, 2013 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really thought this thread was going to be about J. Manziel.

Hell, if the worst we have to listen to, is a player complaining about fans leaving early, we're winning all day. Bosh should be use to that, the Heat fans are reportedly notorious for coming late, leaving early.

Go Heat!
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
brew, I defined self-centered?

I consider that self-centered, I guess you don't, that's fine.

I don't consider it self-centered at all and I'm not even sure how it could be considered even borderline. Fans left in an elimination game on the biggest stage before it was over and he makes a comment about it likely in jest. I don't see the issue. Plus it's coming from Bosh who most consider one of the nice guys in the NBA and probably too nice sometimes.

It happened in a World Series game a few years ago with the Cardinals when they came back from way down in the 9th to win and their players made comments about how fans should have stuck around after the game was over. They have an awesome fan base compared with the Heat "fan" base.
E.J.
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Mogadishu

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh....and as far as I am concerned, if you buy a ticket....show up and leave, when you want. Cheer, boo, be quiet and sit on your hands...don't care. As long as you are not an idiot, offending those around you, related to social norms...it's your money, enjoy the game how you want.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brew, I'll help you out:

Quote:

self-cen·tered
[self-sen-terd] Show IPA

adjective
1. concerned solely or chiefly with one's own interests, welfare, etc.; engrossed in self; selfish; egotistical.

2. independent, self-sufficient.

3. centered in oneself or itself.

4. Archaic. fixed; unchanging.
Also, especially British, self-cen·tred.

Bosh wants fans to stay for the entire game to support him and his team even if they are not enjoying themselves or have better things to do (concerned solely or chiefly with one's own interests). He only wants fans that will stay the entire game to come to the games. If fans give up on him, he doesn't want them to come, even though purchased the ticket with their own money.

Make sense? Glad I could help
pet575
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

City: Kansas City, MO

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith, maybe he was making that statement to show fans how important they are and how much of a difference it makes to have their support at home?

EVERY professional athlete is self-centered to some degree. It is part of what made them successful to get them as far as they got.

jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pet575 wrote:
jgriffith, maybe he was making that statement to show fans how important they are and how much of a difference it makes to have their support at home?

EVERY person is self-centered to some degree. It is part of what made them successful to get them as far as they got.

But they came back and won without them Laughing so maybe he was saying how they do better without the fans and they should stay home.

I just don't like athletes who rely on fan support for their income telling fans how to act (as long as they are not being obnoxious drunk fan).

I really wasn't trying to debate the meaning of self-centered, thanks brew
chavez
Ladies Man
Ladies Man

City: Roseville

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith wrote:
Do they leave early pretty regularly?

LA fans (in general) are pretty notorious for this. I thought everyone knew that. Laughing

RIP MHL 04/25/1958 - 01/11/2006
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jun 20, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I really wasn't trying to debate the meaning of self-centered, thanks brew

I disagreed with your original premise and as usual you get condescending, so let me help you out. Your thread title is a clear indication of your opinion on self-centered and whether or not this meets that definition. That is clearly open for debate/discussion and I still disagree with your premise. Thanks for the Webster's definition, it was clearly a big help in this discussion.

Quote:
Bosh wants fans to stay for the entire game to support him and his team even if they are not enjoying themselves or have better things to do (concerned solely or chiefly with one's own interests). He only wants fans that will stay the entire game to come to the games. If fans give up on him, he doesn't want them to come, even though purchased the ticket with their own money.

Make sense? Glad I could help

No, it still doesn't. Look up the definition of a fan and get back with me. He was merely pointing out that if they were "fans" they should have stayed. As I said before and will say again I have no issue with it and don't see this particular issue as self-centered.

Also feel free to go back to your usual self-centered, pat yourself on the back, I'm an attorney, way of trying to make points.
Aubs
Motorboat Queen
Motorboat Queen

PostPosted: Jun 21, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in S Fla, there was nothing MORE that I wanted then to see the Heat lose. Ugh.
Craig-R
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith wrote:
Bosh wants fans to stay for the entire game to support him and his team even if they are not enjoying themselves or have better things to do

leaving with less than 60 seconds on the clock means they have something better to do? i'm with brew here 100%
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig-R wrote:
jgriffith wrote:
Bosh wants fans to stay for the entire game to support him and his team even if they are not enjoying themselves or have better things to do

leaving with less than 60 seconds on the clock means they have something better to do? i'm with brew here 100%

Yes is the obvious answer...otherwise they would stay right?
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a huge Spurs fan, I hate the Heat, and don't really care for Bosh at all.

I'm 100% on board with Bosh here. A minute left, you're team is still in the game and you leave early? This is the NBA finals... not a random game in January. Did you watch the game? It was close... and Jesus Shuttlesworth hit a miracle shot to send it to OT. This is one of the greatest shots in NBA finals history (and I f*cking hate Ray Allen), and those fans that left missed it so they could beat the crowds to make it to the club.

If you think Bosh is being self centered for calling out Miami's sh*tty fans, you don't understand sports.
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you think paying fans dont have the right to leave anytime they want without the athletes that are paid by them calling them out for leaving you dont understand sports or business.
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 13, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith wrote:
If you think paying fans dont have the right to leave anytime they want without the athletes that are paid by them calling them out for leaving you dont understand sports or business.

Lol... what have I posted here that makes you think I don't understand sports or business?

It's the NBA finals, and both teams have their share of superstars. The game is going to sell out regardless, and people are going to be willing to pay a lot of money to go to the game. Bosh isn't hurting his team or his own personal financial gain by asking for fans to show up and stay for the game instead of people that don't care.

Let me correct my original statement, you don't understand fandom, and that's okay. To people who aren't fans, being a fanatic of something can seem completely illogical (why would the outcome of a game between overpaid athletes affect someone's outlook on life?)

The people who left have the right to leave all they want... They aren't fans though. A fan isn't going to leave their team in the biggest game of the year when they are still in the game (sure, let's say I was at the game and I had a family issue come up, I'd leave too, but people were streaming out of the stadium).

Definition of a fan from MW:
1: an enthusiastic devotee (as of a sport or a performing art) usually as a spectator
2: an ardent admirer or enthusiast (as of a celebrity or a pursuit) <science-fiction fans>
Origin: Short for fanatic

Who is going to buy tickets to the biggest game of the year, (most expensive) and not care about the result and leave early? People that would rather say they were at the game, than people who actually care about the end result of the game. Bosh would rather have people who rooted for the heat and who can blame him?
jgriffith
Wakeboarder.Commie
Wakeboarder.Commie

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2013 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, i have never heard of this "fan" word before.

Now back to what bosh said...he (and you) dont get it, you need butts in the seats to get paid. They paid for the seats to enjoy themselves and be entertained, when its not fun for them they will leave, simple as that
senorbueno
Addict
Addict

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith, man... you're absolutely right, Miami couldn't give away tickets for Game 7 b/c Bosh drove them away Rolling Eyes

Do you think Pat Riley had a one on one with Bosh after that? Must have, I'm sure they are concerned that they won't be able to sell tickets next year. Laughing
LFADAM
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much
PityDaFool Who Posts This Much

City: New York City

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally disagree here. Im glad that Chris Bosh said that.

As a student at a school with a huge football program, my perspective is this: For our games, every single one sells out. There are always people who want to go and can't so if you are lucky enough to go...you better stay and support the team as best as you can. We are known for having one of the loudest stadiums and best fan bases in college football-something that helps to attract recruits and even some prospective students.

Also, the fans (in college football at least) ABSOLUTELY impact the game. There are probably 3-5 false start penalties every big game that are directly caused by the visiting team not being able to hear. I love my school and want to do my part to maintain our reputation and even help the team succeed.

So ya, I get pissed when people leave early/get too drunk to show up. Sure they paid just like me, but when there are thousands of people dying to go to that game and cant, then it strikes a nerve.

...Go VT
brew
Wakeboarder.com Freak
Wakeboarder.com Freak

PostPosted: Jul 14, 2013 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jgriffith wrote:
Thank you, i have never heard of this "fan" word before.

Now back to what bosh said...he (and you) dont get it, you need butts in the seats to get paid. They paid for the seats to enjoy themselves and be entertained, when its not fun for them they will leave, simple as that

Everyone understands that. What no one agrees with you on is your comment that calls Bosh self centered for his comments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Wakeboarder Forum Index -> Non-Wakeboarding All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Add To Favorites

Jump to: